PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Los Angeles

antman
Aug 2nd, 2007, 04:44 PM
So, I'll be in LA next February, possibly the 4th to the 18th. Does anybody know any good hotels or vegan eateries around there? From the 15th to 18th I'll be at the Los Angeles Airport Marriott Hotel; is that in a good location in regards to staying there for the whole two weeks and getting around? Bearing in mind that I can't drive so I won't be hiring a car.

tipsy
Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:00 PM
nope, its not a good location at all.

nowhere in la's a good location for anything. the city is so vast and it will take you hours to get anywhere on foot.

well its probably faster on foot than to drive!:eek:

ill try & find out if theres anything close. :)

kriz
Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:38 PM
Santa Monica and Venice area is the best bet if you don't drive.

flying plum
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM
there's a good hostel down on venice beach, called the venice beach cotel. was about $23 a night at the height of summer last year.

there's also an HI hostel in santa monica that is supposed to be very good, but haven't stayed there. the cotel isn't in such great nick, but it's a nice, independant hostel with a cool bar and chilled out atmosphere.

amanda

GoneVegan
Sep 27th, 2007, 07:28 AM
agreed -- Venice and Santa Monica are your best bets if you aren't driving

Lane

RubyDuby
Sep 27th, 2007, 07:47 AM
What are you coming here for? if you dont mind me asking.

bus/train
http://www.mta.net/default.asp

restaurants
http://www.vegguide.org/location/view.html?location_id=97&new_query=1

antman
Sep 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks for your help guys. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but this topic went unnoticed for a month and I never received a New Post Notification email so I just never bothered to check back after a while.

My original reason for visiting was the Doctor Who convention that is being held there, but I decided to expand my stay for all the usual tourist stuff, as well. I haven't booked anything yet as I applied for a job that, if I get it, would mean I couldn't go on holiday next February. I should find out in the next few weeks.

Thanks again, it's a great help should I get to go :)

domenique
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Wwwhat? Dr. Who convention?!! :eek: I did not know that. I'll try to make it out there too.

Although some of my favorite places aren't listed, check this out ... http://www.vegparadise.com/restaurants.html
You'll be near Inglewood and Marina Del Rey (as far as places to eat near LAX) Those are not great representations of Los Angeles. And Inglewood isn't the safest place in the world.
But like most people already said, there's hardly anything around LAX ... but strip clubs and fast food. I suggest if you're going to the convention for one day, to stay somewhere else, like Santa Monica ... and just take a bus or shuttle to the Marriott on the day of the convention, it's not far at all. This way you'll be able to do more sight seeing, and see the greener LA ;)

antman
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:07 PM
My plans for early next year have changed somewhat in the last couple of months, but I do hope to make it to LA later on, so thanks :) If you go to the Convention, do let me know what it was like - and, you know, send me some merchandise samples ;)

domenique
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Will do! I take it you got the job? Either way, all the best to you :)

antman
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Actually no, sadly, but with the delay I didn't feel there was time to prepare for a solo trip to LA in February. So, instead, I'm heading to Florida with a mate of mine from 23rd March to 6th April :)

domenique
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:58 AM
Florida :confused:
It's a shame you couldn't make it to LA, it's beautiful anytime of year :D