PDA

View Full Version : Vegan noodles

Lentil
Aug 10th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Can anyone tell me, are there any vegan "straight to wok" noodles which are widely available in UK supermarkets? The ones I used to get have lactic acid in them which I assume must be something to do with milk.

harpy
Aug 10th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I don't think lactic acid necessarily does come from milk actually - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid for an alternative source - but unfortunately the only way to find out is probably to write to the manufacturers.

danaeonyx
Aug 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I don't know about straight to wok... but Sainsbury's own do noodles that you add water to then either cook on the hob or microwave. Maybe you could heat it up and then add to the wok? That's the only noodles I've found so far that are vegan. Apart from rice noodles

aubergine
Aug 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Blue Dragon do some Wholewheat Noodles that are in a foil pouch, and are marked Vegan. As are lots of Blue Dragon products. They're found easily in Sainsbury's, and are very tasty.

Poison Ivy
Aug 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I've e-mailed Amoy to ask about their straight to wok noodles, I'm assuming they're the ones that Lentil used to use and have the Lactic Acid in....I'll post their reply when I get it:)

Poison Ivy
Aug 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
The reply....

''Thank your for recent enquiry regarding our Amoy Straight to Wok Noodles.

We can confirm that the product is suitable for a vegan diet.

We hope the above information is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Redcliffe
Consumer Care Co-ordinator''

harpy
Aug 10th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Thank you, Poison Ivy. This is something I've never tried, but perhaps I will now :)

Guacamole Gal
Aug 10th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Mmm, I haven't had noodles in a LOOOONG time..thinking I may just have to invest in some during the next big shop.:)

Nutkinmc
Aug 10th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Me love noodles, Blue Dragon do lots of vegan ones - yum!

Lentil
Aug 11th, 2007, 08:21 AM
The reply....

''Thank your for recent enquiry regarding our Amoy Straight to Wok Noodles...

Brilliant - thanks Poison Ivy :D I still find it really strange how products are usually labelled "suitable for vegetarians" and I guess it's almost a selling point for the manufacturer but they still don't think about labelling them for vegans most of the time :confused:

Yay, much stir fries to come then :)