PDA

View Full Version : Non-perishable vegan foods

Vegas Vegan
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I am going vacation next week with my husband's family to Maple Lake,OT, Canada. We will stay at the family cabin that is about an hour and a half from civilization. My husband's family always does all the grocery shopping and meal planning in advance. However, last time they saw us I was not Vegan, so I know my food choices will be limited from what they will stock and I don't want to be a pain and request special food just for me. Therefore, I've been trying to come up with a stash of go-to vegan foods that I can bring with me on the trip (about 8 hours in a planes and airports, and 2 hours in a car). So far this is what I have and I'm looking for suggestions of any other items I might bring.

- dehydrated black bean soup
- dehydrated lintel soup
- soy milk (in box so it doesn't need refridgeration until opened)
- Almond Milk - also in box
- dried figs
- loaf of whole wheat bread (I'm hopping it will make the trip ok)
- peanut butter
- fruit preserves
- granola
- mixed bean soup

I'm hopping they have a good selection of fresh veggies already there, but I can't remember what they had last time- mostly lettuce I think. I also plan on going to the health food store and picking up some vegan cookies or sweets.

Any other ideas??:confused:

missbettie
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:55 PM
sounds yummy!!!! I noticed you didn't say nuts....almonds are perfect.:D

Risker
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I hope you mean lentil, lintels tend to be a bit splintery.

Just take loads of tinned food :)

Cherry
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Sounds good. If you have lentils, beans, nuts and dried fruit, and also have pasta, rice and fresh fruit and veggies, then I'm sure you'll be fine :)

:D I was just thinking that about the splinters.

harpy
Aug 14th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Perhaps you could ask the relatives to buy you some staples like dried beans and rice when they do the shopping? That would save you carrying it and wouldn't require much effort on their part if they're shopping anyway.

Vegas Vegan
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Yes, I meant lentil as in the bean - not the framing over a door or window! I don't think it would fit in my baggage!

Risker
Aug 14th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Might be ok if you boiled it for a while :D

Sorry, I'm in a strange mood!

gothdragon911
Dec 31st, 2010, 03:42 PM
dont forget meal bars!! like larabars, cliff, luna, raw revolution, fiber full.... all these bars are non perishable, and make great snacks/meals!! and they are so tiny and easy to pack =]

vava
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Some vegan sausages wouldn't go amiss and you may feel more normal eating these with loads of veggies if the rest of the family are having meat and veggies. Should be at least a couple of meals in a pack and if you freeze them before you go - they should be good!

mini_mi
Dec 31st, 2010, 11:13 PM
As mentioned above. ask your in-laws to get some wild and brown rice, barley, lentils, red and black beans. Those will store forvever and are very easy to cook.

khadagan
Jan 1st, 2011, 12:06 AM
I often bring some raw nuts and seeds with me for an easy snack