PDA

View Full Version : raspberry/other fruity vodka

emmapresley
Aug 15th, 2007, 12:36 AM
i've been considering doing like a raspberry vodka sort of recipoe thing..maybe for in time for christmas..that would be most lovely as part of my christmas giving, pressie wise..another gift idea i don't feel i've been pressured into buying from some cacky shop..ramble ramble..you get what i'm fluffing on about.

anyhow..i was wondering..does anyone or has anyone made something so fabulous sounding as raspberry vodka before..i did see a recipe in some sunday paper supplement a month or so back but didn't have the foresight to rip it out of the paper and stash is somewhere safe. all other raspberry vodka recipes i've intensly googled for have simply been unsatisfactory to me.
so, if you've made this before or something similar and you'd love to share your brilliance of mind to me, please do. :)

twinkle
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:48 AM
What makes the googled for recipes unsatisfactory?

I have never made raspberry vodka, I usually make flavoured vodka by dissolving boiled sweets in it, or chocolate, but my friend makes a gorgeous Christmas Pud flavoured vodka by steeping sultanas and spices in it and adding mollasses :)

Sluggie
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM
... my friend makes a gorgeous Christmas Pud flavoured vodka by steeping sultanas and spices in it and adding mollasses :)
Oh my! That sounds like heaven. *Puts vodka on tomorrow's shopping list*

emmapresley
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM
twinkle..i just want to make sure that if i'm gonna make this glorious stuff, then i want to get i right..be gutted if i spend a wad on stacks of bottles of vodka and it all goes horribley wrong..wasn't sure if there was someone on here maybe who had made it in a really simplistic way..the idea that you just bung in the fruit and leave it for a bit and miraculously turns into flavoursome fruity vodka seems to easy to be true.

twinkle
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Well, fruit, sugar and spirits is the classic way to do these things - certainly with sloe gin, which I have made. I can't see why it wouldn't work if those are the only ingredients - the sugar and spirits preserve the fruit, and the fruit imparts its deliciousness :)

twinkle
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:46 AM
This is how I would do it, if I was going to :) - recipe found on random forum (http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/showthread.php?t=6531)

Risker
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I've always fancied making a vodka watermelon. Just need the occasion to make it for.

twinkle
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:52 AM
How about a Tuesday? ;)

I hear you can do it with a pumpkin and brown sugar and some kind of alcohol as well. I can't remember where I read that, but it's meant to be surprisingly delicious.

bugaboo
Aug 16th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Don't they sell already-flavored vodka in the UK?

emmapresley
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Don't they sell already-flavored vodka in the UK?
ah yes yes..but see, that's not the point!!

howdawg
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:37 AM
I used to be friends with a Dutch couple in China that would do this with the mandarin oranges.. They would fill a gallon jug up with the oranges (peel and all), pour over some vodka... Let it sit for a year or so, and when they were done, it was some extreeeeemely strong stuff.. I'd imagine the long standing time is what made it so strong... Had a good smell to it, but couldn't taste the oranges much!!

Risker
Aug 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I tried and failed to make the vodka watermelon, it just won't absorb... maybe the melon I got is too juicy :confused:

=Sarah=
Aug 29th, 2007, 11:14 PM
mmm just this weekend we made a vodka watermelon!! but perhaps the point was lost on us... we just cut the top off, hacked at the insides with a knife until they were all chopped in to bits and then poured the booze inside.... it made a delicious slush which about 10 of us enjoyed with our own spoons right out of the fruit "bowl" ... hehe.. maybe not what you had in mind.. :D

Risker
Aug 29th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Haha, no, sadly not, the plan was to take it to the beach to share with some fellow vegans but I think if it was all mushed up it might make a mess of my bag! lol :D

Risker
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I found out why it didn't work today, I cut myself a slice for breakfast and the inside of the melon is all a bit malformed with the white bit that should just be around the outside running all through the melon stopping it from absorbing anything. So it probably does work, just had a rubbish melon.