PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Derby

Pages : [1] 2

Skajen
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Hi I'm moving to Derby from Swansea in september!

Don't know anyone there or any good vegan places/clubs etc. Just got settled in swansea and gotta move again!?

Does anyone know where the best places to eat/buy food are? Is there a veggie/vegan group?

HELP!

Jen xxx :)

HelenSD
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Hey!

I dont know if theres much in Derby tbh.. Its not a big place. alot of people tend to travel to Nottingham (~£5 return) as there are loads of good places there!

gertvegan
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
From www.veganvillage.co.uk

Soundbites

Vegan wholefood shop and small cafe in Derby. Local and organic food, fair trade goods, eco cleaning products and cruelty free toiletries. Noticeboards for the use of local groups, and a meeting room.

www.soundbitesderby.org.uk

Skajen
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM
thanks for that :)

Otter_
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:09 PM
Based on the thread title ...
I keep imagining vegans racing down a hill in wooden carts :p.

I really need more sleep.

xwitchymagicx
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM

Agatha
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
i grew up in derby and although i wasn't a vegan then, it has at least got better. i still have family there and end up visiting a couple of times a year. there is a holland &barrett and a Julian Graves, the market used to have a wholefoods stall. I can't think of any specifically veggie cafes or restaurants (although i am out of touch) but some of the cafes down saddlergate have soya milk and fruit smoothies on the menu. restaurants have always adapted meals for me without battering an eyelid and there's the usual run of tapas bars and indian restaurants that have suitable menus. not brilliant, but its not all bad.

gertvegan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:02 PM
From www.veggies.org.uk and worth a mention.

Saturday 8th September 2007 to Sunday 9th September

Food by Veggies

Derby Eco-Fest 2007 (http://www.veggies.org.uk/event.php?ref=573)

Skajen
Aug 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM
thanks very much Gert! i will definately be going to the eco-fest as its weekend i move in!

i went on soundbites website and looks like there is a new veggie group starting AND a new veggie cafe opening, so looks like i'm moving a right time.

thanks for all ur help guys xx :)

Level 5 Vegan
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:07 PM
There is a bit of a campaign scene in Derby, promoting veganism and helping groups such as Uncaged and Animal Aid etc. Anybody PM me and I'll tell you what's happening next.

twinkle
Aug 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Not only may Derby be close to Nottingham, but you'd be near Leicester too and we have lots of vegan stuff here :)

Sticklebricks
Mar 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Derby is low on vegan cafe's and restaurants and things but sound bites more than makes up for it!

derwenna
Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:44 PM
What restaurants are there in Derby that have vegan options - not specifically veggie restaurants (although if there are any I'd be interested), but any mainstream or independent places really. Don't mind what sort of food, just interested in where I could eat out - if it's vegan I'll eat it! I'm moving to Derby in a few weeks so trying to do a bit of research before I get there.

whalespace
Mar 23rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Do check out "SoundBites" . I visit a Vega*n group over there sometimes, called "Amber Valley Vega*ns".
Let me know if you want to subscribe to the notices... I think they send me programmes for Nottingham's "Sumac centre" aswell [whom host skill shares, and other events once in a while].

derwenna
Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:18 PM
I was looking at the Sound Bites website yesterday, think I shall be investigating once I get there.

Blueberry
Jan 19th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Are there not many vegans in Derby? This thread was buried! lol... not anymore though x

Ruby Rose
Jan 19th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Hello and welcome, Blueberry. Don't worry, there are loads of you Derby and Notts types round here! It's such a big and communicative forum that hundreds of threads go quiet for a bit while others are being given an airing, but they all come round again! Enjoy, and hope your transition is going well.

whalespace
Jan 20th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Are there not many vegans in Derby? This thread was buried! lol... not anymore though x

Have you met "Amber Valley Veg*ns" yet Blueberry?

Blueberry
Jan 20th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks Ruby Rose! I'll keep my eyes peeled :smile:

Have you met "Amber Valley Veg*ns" yet Blueberry?

I can honestly say apart from maybe people who work in Lush (and lovely people they are too) and the man who works in Sound Bites I haven'tt actually met any vegans. I have no vegan friends :( and am relying on forums at the moment!

Blueberry
Jan 20th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I just tried to view Amber Valley Vegans Facebook page but I can't. Does anyone know how I get in touch with them please? Cheers! xx

whalespace
Jan 21st, 2010, 09:51 PM
I'll ask if I may send you an e'mail address, Blueberry. Should be fine.

Blueberry
Jan 21st, 2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks Whalespace! I look forward to it - would be nice to meet some people who didn't think I was mad xxx

Level 5 Vegan
Jan 27th, 2010, 04:26 PM
I live not far from Derby and did a stall at Derby's Biannual Eco-Fest about six months ago and was pleasantly surprised; there were local people I had never met before who were wearing Viva! t-shirts or who were veggie or vegan and into animal rights. :)

It's just that there's no longer much in the way of letting people know other veggies and vegans as there isn't a cafe or veg society and a couple of years ago the animal rights group pretty much ceased to be. If somebody wished to organise a society or group in the city, I know there's plenty of people spread out here and there to fill it.

As you mention, Soundbites is an absolute gem for vegan shopping and the Lush has veggies and vegans and has relished running campaigns to raise money for animals and promote vegetarianism and veganism.

Barry
Jan 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Level 5 vegan, can I just say that you officially have the greatest name on VF?

Hel
Jan 27th, 2010, 09:43 PM
i live in nottingham and i travel to derby just for soundbites! they have more ranges of tofu and chocolate than my usual health stores and their fresh food is amazing too!

leicester is fantastic for indian food, there are two roads with cafes allover the place and very very cheap too!