PDA

View Full Version : Fake meat

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

celtic
Nov 26th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Hi guys

Does anyone, like me, cringe at the Bacon recipe?

I mean, isnt it a bit ironic, that vegans hanker so much after the long lost taste of pig meat?

I know, I know, what else would you call it.

Dont know to be honest. But I feel very uncomfortable about refrencing any of my foods to animals. It simply perpetuates the problem.

It could be easily shown up as in bad taste, if we bought a robot and said...

"Robot that works exactly like a nigger slave"

or

"Blow up doll that acts exactly like a submissive slut"

or

"Bacon sandwich which tastes exactly like a dead pig"

RACIST

SEXIST

SPECIESIST

What I am trying to say hear is that our language does us no favours.

tails4wagging
Nov 26th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I've yet to meet a vegan or veggie that drools at the smell of the stuff. I for one, eat cheating rashers. Very nice.

celtic
Nov 26th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Hi tails4

Cheating rashers????????

Should that not be..HONEST rashers!!!!!!!

Language again!

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 26th, 2004, 06:11 PM
I am in two minds about the whole 'fake meats' thing.
I used to love the taste and texture of meat, I can remember that even though I haven't eaten a morsel of it in more than 15 years. However, without soya protein 'meats' I doubt I would have stuck at being veggie as a teenager as I was brought up on 'Meat and 2 Veg' type meals.
Now, I could definitely live without the stuff, and, to be honest, I do feel a bit weird about it these days, it is kind of 'offensive', isn't it??

John
Nov 26th, 2004, 06:47 PM
I eat some fake meats, but not because I miss meat. I eat them because they are an easy way to have a quick, filling meal. The "fake meat" I eat the most is seitan which is not promoted as being fake meat. I do sometimes feel silly when eating something marketed as fake meat.

chakra
Nov 26th, 2004, 07:24 PM
It is smoke, grease, and salt that gives bacon it's big appeal. The taste of uncured bacon or ham, such as the so-called "fresh ham" is really a hard one, particularly for the real bacon addict, and something like smoked tofu is really not very appealing to a meat lover at all. They'll definitely tell you so.

Salting and smoking food, or having some tasty convenience item like Smoked Tofurky Deli Slices isn't necessarily a search for a meat substitute or fake meat as it is a desire for the part of the bacon that made it palatable, the vegetarian part - wood smoke and salt.

Then there's those imitation bacon strips that completely replicate both the look - well, they try to anyway - and the texture of bacon. Morningside Farms (there's no farm - it's corporate now) markets this uncanny stuff around here. Real bacon is a hell of a lot cheaper.

But I have to avoid Boca Burgers because they are too much like real hamburgers. Smell, taste and texture. The more creative Thai or Blackbean Burgers are more palatable to me.

If the look of real meat will help to transition people over to a saner life then I applaude it. The animals will be relieved not to have to feed them any longer.

Tigerlily
Nov 26th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Yes, I bought some Boca burgers and it was okay. But at the store, I saw all these fake meats like fake salami and stuff, and I did think they were a bit silly. Plus, soo expensive.

Mystic
Nov 26th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Ewww fake meat :eek: In Australia, we have these things called 'not bacon' and 'not chicken breast'. I don't think they are vegan anyway, but you should see it - the bacon even has the pretend bit of fat on the edge. It is truly revolting and I don't know why a vegetarian/vegan would even want it. When I went to World Vegan Day, they were serving things like 'beef' in blackbean sauce, not - sausage rolls, which apparently tasted like the real thing and fake chicken breast. They looked so real that I literally started dry-reaching when they wanted me to have a taste. I just couldn't do it!!!!

When I use convenience foods, I use veggie burgers, which are not supposed to resemble hamburgers - the veggies are still in tact! I also use things like spinach and potato rolls instead of sausage rolls - I am just not tempted by the 'mock' stuff. Actually, I think I have a major aversion to it!!!

The only meat replacer I like, if you could call it that - is tempeh. I hate tofu and I don't think I have ever tried seitan. Apparently it is very 'meaty', so I doubt it will be appealing to me - I was always a meat hater since I was small. So I will just stick to my tempeh and my beans and my nuts/seeds thankyou very much :D

Mystic
Nov 26th, 2004, 09:03 PM
It is smoke, grease, and salt that gives bacon it's big appeal.

Yesterday, I was out and I bought a salad roll with chargrilled eggplant in it - The eggplant had definately been cured in heaps of salt, smoked and grilled in more grease then necessary. It was the WORST eggplant I have ever had - I had to pull it out coz it was so gross. I made my boyfriend try it and he gagged! Oh yeah, and I hate tofu, but I hate smoked tofu even more LOL :D

chakra
Nov 26th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Chargrilling doesn't reach me at all either. Well done smokehouse tofu might be a different story. Definitely don't want any burger that resembles meat as much as a Boca. I can eat it but the Thai patties I've been getting are much better. Nice bright green veggies in there too.

My mainstay are stewed bean dishes. As natural as it gets. I really enjoy soaking them overnight and simmering over low heat, adding the fresh chopped vegetables right at the very end, turning the heat off so they don't go to mush. Dal too. And split peas. Curries. I can eat this everyday. Just add the brown rice. And stirfry veggies.

Why would I want any faked meat?

But when you've got to work every day, and take care of a dog, sometimes that smoked tofu or tofurkey is a necessary evil. Tempeh is good for me too. Regular tofu though does't work well for me. Seems very processed too.

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 26th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I just cannot bear Tofu atall.

Gorilla
Nov 26th, 2004, 09:39 PM
i don't mind tofu as long as it's cooked well, i don't like it all squishy. the smoked stuff is quite good in stews and things.

even when i used to eat meat, i always hated pig meat. i wouldn't eat bacon and i've found that it's a common misconception among omnis that veg*ns constantly crave bacon sandwiches. the smell of bacon makes me feel sick and always has done.

i rarely eat fake meats because i don't see the need. anything like 'burgers' or 'sausages' i prefer the ones that are more like vegetables than meat-style protein. as a new teenage veggie i found them quite useful, but i've moved away from that now.

Artichoke47
Nov 26th, 2004, 10:24 PM
I don't understand post No. 1 or 3. Can someone translate?

superfly
Nov 26th, 2004, 10:29 PM
IMO-i think the "fake" meats serve a purpose.
food and memory are bonded together. the number one memory trigger for people is SMELL!
food can be and does have powerful emotional ties as well.
as a home health nurse, i have gone into people's homes and the smell of baking pies or cookies has given me huge rushes of nostalgia for my grandmother's home.

so for many newbie vegans and vegitarians, the fake stuff can be a helpful step in the right direction, easing cravings and getting folks use to eating non-flesh products.

veganblue
Nov 26th, 2004, 10:46 PM

I think that Celtic is just having an aversion to the use of words to describe animals meats as descriptors of vegan fare. I guess soy or coconut 'milk' would come into that as well, but 'soy juice' just doesn't seem to convey the same idea....

I was alarmed one day when cooking yellow split peas to find the resultant mass tasted what my memory regards as sausage meat. It was the sage I put into it but now that mix makes a great vegan sausage roll filling. It's not that they taste like pork sausage filling - pork sausage tastes like sage!

It's mildly comforting.

foxytina_69
Nov 26th, 2004, 11:18 PM
it depends on how i feel, but i do love the smell of bacon. sumtimes i dont, sumtimes i do. and i like making my own fake meats. such as fake bacon, chicken fingers or burger patties.

Roxy
Nov 27th, 2004, 08:30 AM
I like some fake meats and eat them on occaision because I like them. These are the Tofurkey roast (tried for the first time on Canadian Thanksgiving), Tofurkey Italian Sausages and Yves Breakfast Sausages.

I also love tofu, tempeh and seitan.

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 27th, 2004, 08:31 AM
I do love Seitan, but you don't have to make it look like 'meat', do you. Guess I am still a hypocrit! :D

celtic
Nov 27th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Hi artichoke47

What I am saying is quite simple really.

The unwitting use of language helps to perpetuate and prolong discrimination in any sense.

What I am saying is this. I believe that the exploitation of animals as a resource is speciesism. If it were not, we would eat humans etc etc

So just like racism and sexism, speciesism is wrong.

To encourage non animals products to be branded as animal products...ie vegy bacon etc is unwittingly doing exactly the same as for example, telling jokes which are sexist or racist.

If you dont think it is speciest, then you must agree that the the use of sexist and racist jokes is okay.

There is no compromise on cruelty.

foxytina_69
Nov 27th, 2004, 10:30 PM
mmm okay i dont agree but whatever floats your boat.

Mystic
Nov 27th, 2004, 11:19 PM
mmm okay i dont agree but whatever floats your boat.

LOL Foxy - I love that line!

Artichoke47
Nov 27th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Okay. Now I get what you're saying...but don't agree, either!

celtic
Nov 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Okay, guys, It can be good to disagree, but as long as we understand why we have a certain position on something, rather than just disagreeing because we have a hunch or a prejudice.

Many vegans are vegans because of diet or health reasons. I am a vegan because I think the exploitation of animals is wrong.

If we analyse the current position, we must agree that non human animals are eaten and exploited as a resource because they are less intelligent than humans. Humans have evolved to a position of dominance over every other animal and have taken advantage of the situation to exploit all non human animals.

Now it is also more or less undisputed that animals have, to use Tom Regan's words, experiencing value of a life; that is, they feel and suffer etc

So if we can refrain from exploiting animals then we are not inflicting cruelty on them.
We can do this because a vegan diet is adequate to live a full and healthy life without adding to cruelty etc.

My point is, currently the 'norm' in society is to exploit animals without giving it a second thought...it seems natural.

But a few hundred years ago, it seemed natural for many white people to have a black slave, indeed many could not imagine life without them. Blacks were seen as sub-human.

More recently, women were seen to be naturally suited to the kitchen; why would they need a vote? This seemed to crazy to Victorians. Even many women thought that they had their place and it would be unnatural to do 'mens' work or have suffrage etc

So in times past, we often saw things which were seen as 'natural' as being challenged and ultimately accepted as a new norm.

Sexism and racism, though still widespread, is more or less frowned upon in civilised society and illegal in most.

Speciesim (the exploitation of an inferior race) is very similar to that of racism and sexism.

Often the great challenges to societies 'norms' in the past were in the words of John Stuart Mill, met with 3 phases...1)Ridicule 2)Discussion 3)Acceptance

I think any serious person who abhors the exploitation of animals should do everything in his power to refrain from encouraging exploitation. My example of 'vegy bacon' was used to show that even the most innocent terms can underpin the existing 'norms'.

eg. Veggies cant eat bacon but not to worry, we can have second best...vegy bacon.

I dont think that we are so 'one tracked' as to be non adventorous in our language to shun references to animals in our non animal diets.

Korn
Nov 28th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Many vegans are vegans because of diet or health reasons. I assume that you mean that many people eat plant based food of diet or health reasons?

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 28th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Well I get exactly what you're saying, Celtic, and it's been worrying me lately. I used to get quite defensive about using 'fake meats', but recently I have seen their more garish qualities.
I don't agree with calling Ham Ham, or Bacon Bacon in the first place - why not call it 'peices of Pigs legs', or 'Peices of Pigs stomach', or whatever - make it clear where it comes from?
So, as a natural progression, why call something 'Cheatin' Ham', when Ham is plain wrong in the first place??
Obviously the point is to show (new) Veggies, Vegans what the product is meant to replace, but if you are Vegan because you disagree with exploitation, then surely you can see the bitter irony here??