PDA

View Full Version : Fake meat

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

pavotrouge
Aug 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
I've had a few- mainly Asian- fake meats that seriously freaked me out because they were too meaty, as did the Tesco chicken fillets. Those from Peking Palace have quite an authentic texture IMHO but don't taste like meat.

Generally, I don't miss the texture or taste of meat (although I sometimes have fish cravings... enter seaweed), but I don't mind having some properly cooked fake meat every now and then.

wendy
Aug 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I am 30 and vegetarian for 17 years and vegan for about 3 years and I still think meat smells great. But I never feel the need to eat it, I realise all to well that the meat once was a living breathing animal cut down in it's prime only fot that smell and taste

Roxy
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Can fake meat taste too meaty?

I went to Peking Palace Friday and some of the food well tasted like meat. :surprised_ani: I didn't think it'd make me squeamish, but it did in a weird way.

There is a Vegetarian Chinese Restaurant here that serves some kind of fake sizzling "beef" dish. I had one taste of it and couldn't eat any more. It tasted exactly what I remember roast beef to taste like. In other words it was too real.

I otherwise don't mind fake meats at all.

DavidT
Aug 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I'm happy if meat substitutes mean fewer animals killed.

Personally, I try my best to avoid anything that acknowledges consumption of animals, such as veggie 'bacon', veggie 'chicken', veggie 'fish' etc. Unfortunately I love McSween's vegetarian haggis, aaaah, wonderful stuff.

I have no problem per se with veggie sausage or burgers because no area of food production has a monopoly on these words. A burger or a sausage is simply a convenient way of serving types of food that might otherwise be awkward. Sadly most manufacturers of veggie burgers and sausages try to make them like meat; more imagination required!

In fact, the junk-food regular veggie burgers at our local fast-food joints are far more vegetabley than most of those in the whole food shop!

Roxy
Aug 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM
I think they're a great source of food for people who are transitioning to veganism or vegetarianism.

Sarabi
Aug 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I went to an Italian restaurant with my friend and her family...... it was veal, veal, veal, mozzarella, etc.... not a single vegan meal. So I ordered s/t and asked for the cheese to be taken off. I got it and forgot what was in it... I stared at it for a long time... there were square-ish bits of something that looked and tasted a lot like animal fat... but I remembered the dish had eggplant in it. Who knew eggplant could taste like animals? I know they didn't intend that... sometimes plants just taste like animal flesh unintentionally... or maybe it's our imagination.

Roxy
Aug 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I've never tasted a plant that tasted like animal flesh. Imagination maybe?