Nov 4th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Jennifer Raymond recipe

Serves 4

1 1/2 c. soy or rice milk
3 T. cornstarch or arrowroot
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/3 c. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Whisk all ingredients together in a medium saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the pudding has thickened. Pour into individual serving dishes and chill for at least 1 hour.

Artichoke47
Nov 5th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Okay - I just made this and it only filled 2 1/2 dessert dishes. Just FYI. I'll let you guys know how it tastes in a few hours! ;)

basteq
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Okay - I just made this and it only filled 2 1/2 dessert dishes. Just FYI. I'll let you guys know how it tastes in a few hours! ;)

what's FYI? :)

QUESTION - could I use honey instead of maple syrup? and water instead of milk? what do you think? I can't get either of them in shop.

foxytina_69
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM
FYI means for your information.

honey isnt vegan to most vegans, but im sure that would work if thats what u want to use. and water probably wouldnt work aswell as soymilk because then it wont be creamy like pudding.

thanx for the recipe artichoke :D

gertvegan
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:34 AM
basteq, please have a look at the honey (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8&highlight=honey) thread. Honey isn't vegan.

moonbeamzzz
Nov 5th, 2004, 11:37 AM
place one cup of soft/silken tofu,a quarter of a cup of oil,half a cup of sugar,four tablespoons of cocoa powder,quarter of a teaspoon of salt and one and a halfteaspoons of vanilla extract in a blender,blend until smooth and creamey(you may need to use a spoon as well,while blender is UNPLUGGED),chill in the fridge and then...eat...CHOCOLATE VELVET!!!let me know how you enjoyed it???ruthie.xxx. ;)

snaffler
Nov 5th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Would have liked to try one of those ones on sale at BVF but I ran of pennies before I left they looked top notch ;-)

Artichoke47
Nov 5th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Either I jumped the gun or the recipe doesn't work. When it started to get thick, I put the pudding in cups and refrigerated it. Two hours later, it was still runny. This morning still, it was runny. So either I didn't wait for it to thicken long enough or the recipe doesn't work.

I will try Moonbeam's recipe next. I'm sorry for the problems this caused anyone.

I don't think honey would work, either, and definitely not water!

basteq
Nov 5th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Artichoke :) s*** happens. btw when I was off my vegan diet I ate ARROZ CON LECHE (rice with milk). It was very good. I thought I might try some rice pudding. I guess that would be about the consistency I'd like. Tapioka looks very yummy although I've never tried it.

foxytina_69
Nov 6th, 2004, 08:00 AM
artichoke, try freezing it :D works wonders! u think it would freeze it or not work if left in too long but honestly, leave it in for twenty minutes and it will probably be the thickness u want. (i didnt try that for this recipe, i tried that for an icing recipe i used)

Artichoke47
Nov 20th, 2004, 12:33 AM
I tried the Great Good Desserts Naturally chocolate pudding today. It's cooling right now, but it tastes soooo good!

Artichoke47
Nov 20th, 2004, 01:35 AM
This stuff is rich. I don't think anyone could overeat. Man, I'm full from five bites.

Sabster
Nov 30th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Arrowroot does thicken but you have to reach that point right before boiling. Roughly speaking... I think I read that arrowroot looses its thickening abilities if boiled. But there are so many thickening agents I might be mixing things up. I think it is arrowroot though.

Re honey ... instead of honey try using Agave Nectar it's amazingly delicious:) Personally for a chocolate pudding maple syrup or sugar is more complimentary.