PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage Water

sugarmouse
Sep 7th, 2007, 09:06 PM
My father drinks this for health, and has advised me to..I have been doing it, but I just wondered if anyone else does? And what the health benefits are meant to be exactly?
I feel all nice and healthy when I drink it! Not that I know whats going on with it.lol

harpy
Sep 7th, 2007, 10:28 PM
I sometimes make soup with cabbage (and other stuff) and I like that.

I never have any cabbage water available as I don't think boiling cabbage is a good way of preparing it from either the nutritional or the gastronomic point of view. I suppose you could boil a cabbage specially and then throw it away and drink the water - sort of cabbage tea? :p

ETA that if you did boil a cabbage it would be a good idea to drink the water as well as eating the cabbage, otherwise you'd lose nutrients when you threw away the water. But I prefer to steam or stir-fry cabbage myself.

missbettie
Sep 7th, 2007, 11:08 PM
thats a weird one. I absolutly loathe cabbage! you are brave!

cobweb
Sep 7th, 2007, 11:09 PM
its a good idea because it's full of nutrients - but only if it's an organic cabbage! :eek:

cedarblue
Sep 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM
i love cabbage and sometimes drink the water in the bottom of the steamer or you can keep it and use it for gravy, add to a soup, use as a base for stock, freeze it to keep it etc

sugarmouse
Sep 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM
i love cabbage and sometimes drink the water in the bottom of the steamer

LOl i have an image in my head of you tipping your steamer upside down and slurping the water out of it:)

cedarblue
Sep 8th, 2007, 04:08 PM
the addition of a paper umbrella to the pan makes all the difference - i have class you know!

HappyVegan
Sep 8th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Now I'm craving a huge cabbage soup!!

foxytina_69
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM
sugarmouse, youre father is on the right track regarding cabbage water. its an antibacterial, helps strengthen your immune system, is an antioxidant, and cleanses your liver.

boiling the cabbage and drinking just the water, you lose a lot of nutrients but some of them stay with the water. you would probably be a lot better off with eating the cabbage AND the water. or better yet, just the cabbage raw.

sugarmouse
Sep 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
:)
I do eat it raw also,and cooked. I have an obsession rightnow. Think its because it is helping my weight loss:)

foxytina_69
Sep 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM
how do you eat it raw and cooked? the last time i had cabbage was when my mom was alive and would make us boiled cooked cabbage but i dont know how to make it.

sugarmouse
Sep 10th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I love it steamed with a blob of veganmarge on lol
or I boil it,and do that, with marge and seasalt and pepper, and drink the water so I dont miss any of the nutrients:)

foxytina_69
Sep 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM
yummm sounds delish.

harpy
Sep 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Or just stir-fry the chopped cabbage in a tbsp of peanut oil until it's hot (but not limp) then stir in some coarse-grained mustard and eat.

Haniska
Sep 11th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Hmmmmmm... lettuce juice has opiates in it, I wonder if cabbage does too? Maybe thats why you feel all warm and gooey inside.:D

foxytina_69
Sep 11th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Or just stir-fry the chopped cabbage in a tbsp of peanut oil until it's hot (but not limp) then stir in some coarse-grained mustard and eat.

mmm that sounds so good.