PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Slices

Pages : 1 [2]

bryzee86
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:18 PM
well my slices were a disaster. The pastry rose too much, the custard was too thin (not enough cornflour), as was the icing (too much water). When the top layer went on the custard, the filling got all squeezed out. Argh better luck next time. Anywa all that matters is that it's a beautifully edible disaster (fat and sugar for breakfast - mmmmmmmm)

Gorilla
Sep 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM
aww never mind bryzee, i would've made a horrible mess if i'd tried these too. as long as you still got to eat them, that's the main thing ;)

fondducoeur
Sep 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Haha bryzee, mine did the exact same thing. But after they chilled I was able to clean them up and still put on the chocolate (which was very sloppy). But... I am still taking them when I go visit my boyfriend when I get off work today. They taste yummy anyway, even if they are not very pretty. Oh well.

Poison Ivy
Sep 14th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I think the trick with them is that the custard and the icing need to be thicker than you think is possible to work with to avoid it running and squidging out everywhere....I also piped the custard on (maybe I should have mentioned that too:o) so that I didn't have to handle them too much. I'm sorry bryzee and fondducouer have had problems with them...it's a bit embarassing when mine went so well!!:o:o

aubergine
Sep 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Wow. I want some.