PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried those patches?

Poppet
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM
They are advertising a 'slim patch' and a 'reduce your waistline patch' on TV alot atm in New Zealand. I was just wondering if anyone ever used them and they actually work? The ingredients are just Chinese herbal extracts so probably Vegan. I'm not overweight but have recently gained a little bit that I would like to get back to my previous weight so I can look rockin' in my bikini at the beach come Christmas time and am just curious about these things because of how much they are advertised at the moment!

absentmindedfan
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM
If they worked we'd all be thin and the inventors would be multi-millionaires.

If anything like that worked it'd have be available by prescription as it'd have to be medically tested and dosaged correctly.

Just eat healthier and do more exercise, boring but the only way that works :)

Poppet
Sep 15th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I should have known that really. lol.
I'm so impatient though.

HappyVegan
Sep 15th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I've noticed that most of the "lose weight with no effort" products come with the instructions that you have to use it along with a sensible diet and exercise lol.

Hemlock
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM
The only thing that really works is having your teeth wired together and being locked in a cellar until you are thin.

tipsy
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM
people here acutally do that:(

i sometimes work with an oral surgeon who puts arch bars (the technical name for wiring your mouth shut) on women for wieght loss!:eek:

Marrers
Sep 16th, 2007, 02:49 AM
Someone I know had this done (went abroad for it) but she put all the weight back on fairly shortly after.

harpy
Sep 16th, 2007, 11:56 AM
I would have thought hypnotherapy, CBT, or something like that, might have a more lasting effect than having your jaws wired? But perhaps the people have already tried that.

Marrers
Sep 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM
These shakes that put your body into ketosis (sp?) seem the latest fad here in the UK. You can't eat or drink anything else at all, apart from water.
I have 2 friends on it at the moment who have lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks.

I first heard of it a couple of years back when another of my friends was put on it to remove residues of chemo from her body after cancer treatment a few years before. Then it had to be prescribed by a doctor and closely monitored.
She did lose quite a bit of weight on it (she was very overweight to start with) but discovered she had cancer again while she was on the shakes so had to come off the regime to begin other treatment.

foxytina_69
Sep 16th, 2007, 01:09 PM
actually a lot of products on the market do work depending on their ingredients. this is a patch that seems to work for some people, and it has common ingredients used in a lot of other dieting pills.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=94490&catid=9280

trimspa has helped a lot of people to lose weight and the owner is a millionaire because of it lol.

heres an article about its ingredients and why they are beneficial.

http://www.newstarget.com/005112.html

there ARE naturally sourced ingredients that have helped a lot of people lose weight, along with a healthy diet and exercise yes. it helps you lose about 5 pounds more than what you would on diet and exercise alone.

like hoodia for example. hoodia is plant that grows in south africa, botswana, namibia, and angola. it was and is eaten by bushmen to ward of hunger and thirst while travelling the deserts. but the problem with it is that 80% of all the hoodia supplements arent hoodia at all. there are only four brands who are certified to legally export hoodia and use pure hoodia in their supplements.

but not enough scientific research has been done on these ingredients to know if theyre truly safe for the human body or not, so youre better off with just exercise and diet alone.

foxytina_69
Sep 16th, 2007, 01:15 PM
These shakes that put your body into ketosis (sp?) seem the latest fad here in the UK. You can't eat or drink anything else at all, apart from water.
I have 2 friends on it at the moment who have lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks.

I first heard of it a couple of years back when another of my friends was put on it to remove residues of chemo from her body after cancer treatment a few years before. Then it had to be prescribed by a doctor and closely monitored.
She did lose quite a bit of weight on it (she was very overweight to start with) but discovered she had cancer again while she was on the shakes so had to come off the regime to begin other treatment.

you can do the same thing with a high protein high fat diet with carbs less than 20 grams a day. but i guess the shakes are easier than having to think about the foods theyll eat, etc.

foxytina_69
Sep 16th, 2007, 01:17 PM
If anything like that worked it'd have be available by prescription as it'd have to be medically tested and dosaged correctly.

there is a new weight loss drug that was the only one to be certified by the fda that was just released in the US earlier this year, its called alli and is available without a prescription and has worked great for many people.

harpy
Sep 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Alli, that's one of the ones that makes you excrete fat without digesting it isn't it? :eek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlistat

I would be very wary about taking something like that, not only because of the unpleasant side effects but also because there are worries that it might stop you absorbing important nutrients such as vitamins.

I'm sure there are slimming drugs that make you lose weight but none of the ones I've read about sound that healthy TBH.

foxytina_69
Sep 17th, 2007, 03:05 AM
as long as you stay within your fat gram limit per meal you wont have side effects. ive read a lot of peoples reviews on it and it seems to work really well for them, of course, along with diet and exercise.

snivelingchild
Sep 17th, 2007, 06:02 AM
On the bottles of Alli (we're forced to sell it), they actually recommend wearing dark colored pants!!! :eek:

If you want to take a pill for weight loss, just take Ultra Skinny Mini. It's all the stuff you would eat to help with weight loss, but in a pill without all that nasty stuff. That is, of course, if you really want to take a pill.

Semi-related story: Today a lady asked me about the difference between Lipo-6 and Lipo-6 X (weight loss pills), and her cart had SERIOUSLY ten assorted boxes of Little Debbie snacks and nothing else.

harpy
Sep 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Semi-related story: Today a lady asked me about the difference between Lipo-6 and Lipo-6 X (weight loss pills), and her cart had SERIOUSLY ten assorted boxes of Little Debbie snacks and nothing else.

Aargh, I think that sums up the weird relationship that a lot of us have with food in Western society. I guess in the wild we'd be too busy foraging for wild lettuces or whatever to worry about our weight...We don't seem to deal with plenty so well.

For me the best thing is to be busy with other stuff, so that I don't have time to get obsessed with food.

foxytina_69
Sep 17th, 2007, 10:43 AM
skinny mini contains caffeine. if youre looking for a pill that will increase your energy, be aware that you will get addicted to caffeine since you will be taking the pills everyday. but theres only 100 mg in these so i dont think theyre increase your energy very much.

it contains b12 probably to increase your energy.

the chromium helps metabolize and manage the breakdown of glucose and fat. and its chromium polynicotinate chloride too. shown to be better than chromium picolinate, which can damage chromosomes and there for lead to cancer.

CLA IS effective for some people. some people get deficient in this and that causes your metabolism to not work properly. if you get enough CLA, it makes it so that fat will be burned instead of stored. it also helps fat cells disintegrate, and decreases the size and number of fat cells in your body. (and also has an affect on some enzymes that deal with fats)

the CLA can be bad for people with diabetes and bad for overweight people without diabetes:

use of CLA by people with diabetes may worsen blood sugar control. in overweight people without diabetes, CLA might decrease insulin sensitivity, creating a prediabetic state.

http://www.thirdage.com/ebsco/files/21676.html

the rhodiola is good for your mood and lifting depression.

the citrimax blocks the absorbtion of carbs and helps to suppress the appetite in some people. but its a pretty low amount in this product and may not do anything. studies have shown that its useless as a weight loss aid, but ive seen some people have results with a product with this ingredient in it.

the coleus forskohlii extract helps break down fat (amongst other things)

Bioperine enhances the absorption of nutrients, and can slightly enhance your metabolism.

the skinny mini blend is lots of great things.

overall its a good option for a supplement, but i dont think it would be as effective at appetite suppression as other things like glucomannan or hoodia, or as effective in increased energy as other products.

there ARE a lot of good weight loss supplements out there that CAN help assist you in weight loss, but the crappy thing is that people will try them, and then say they did nothing, and never try another and say that ALL weight loss supplements dont work. weight loss supplements are like anti depressants, or face wash lol. one kind that works for one person, may not work for another. so youve got to keep trying out different ones (based on the ingredients) until you find the one that works for you. and thats costly. but some people get lucky and find the one that works for them right away.

heres reveiws for skinny mini, youll see what i mean when you read the reviews. it works for some, but not for others.

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=4212

several natural ingredients have been shown to help with weight loss but we dont hear about it because research by actual scientists takes a very long time and we dont hear what their research is yet because they arent done. several ingredients in todays weight loss supplements are being tested properly by scientists. theres too much research that needs to be done.

but since EVERY body is different, it may take a long time before people find what natural ingredients work for them. and since the weight loss they assist you in having is pretty minimal, 1-10 pounds at most (15 with some good ones), it may not be worth it to everyone and will probably just end up doing the classic thing, exercise and healthy eating!

foxytina_69
Sep 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM
On the bottles of Alli (we're forced to sell it), they actually recommend wearing dark colored pants!!! :eek:

thats because people may experience the side effects within the first week as their bodies adjust to them, but the side effects shouldnt occur after your body gets used to them if you stay within your fat limit. if you dont though, then you better watch out! lol.

snivelingchild
Sep 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Ultra Skinny Mini doesn't contain caffine. Not that I'm trying to advertise it. Citrimax, of rather extract of the garcinia cambogia fruit, doesn't block the absorbtion of carbs (or if it's supposed to, it doesn't do it very well). It helps stabilize the blood sugar (often used by diabetics) and helps to reduce craving for very sweet things, or sugars. It is not meant to supress appetite, but I don't think supressing appetite is a good way of losing weight since you have to learn how to eat low calorie-dense foods long term anyway. It has spirulina, chlorella, and barley grass for energy. The CLA (which I don't think is good) is in far smaller amounts than one would usually take.
After a second look, I thought there were some ingredients it has that is doesn't. (The store I work at now doesn't sell it, so I haven't seen it is a while). Well, I thought is had more ingredients to stimulate the metabolism. Anyway, all I was trying to say is that it's way better that those horrible thing you've seen advertised. Nature's plus does make another complex, if I remember correctly, with apple cidar vinegar, kelp, and cayenne. I was thinking skinny mini also had these. Anyway, I don't know why I'm talking about this so much, I don't like weight loss pills. I guess it just makes me so sad to see girls taking these horrible things like Lipo-6 and Hydroxycut, that I try to get them on something that's gentler. I think things like skinny mini facilitate weight loss as you cause it (or rather helps the body be able to lose weight) and not cause weight loss itself.

foxytina_69
Sep 18th, 2007, 08:11 AM
actually citrimax does help break down carbs and studies have shown it does suppress the appetite. the studies havent been done in humans, but from the reviews ive seen, it seems to help a lot of people in that area.

HCA, extracted from the rind of the Garcinia cambogia fruit grown in Southeast Asia, has a chemical composition similar to that of citric acid (the primary acid in oranges and other citrus fruits). Preliminary studies in animals suggest that HCA may be a useful weight-loss aid. HCA has been demonstrated in the laboratory (but not yet in clinical trials with people) to reduce the conversion of carbohydrates into stored fat by inhibiting certain enzyme processes. Animal research indicates that HCA suppresses appetite and induces weight loss.

reduces the conversion of carbohydrates into fat, inhibits the production of cholesterol, promotes the production of glycogen (the energy source stored in the liver and muscles), and curbs the appetite, without stimulating the central nervous system. Because it inhibits the production of fats from carbohydrates (and proteins), HCA is especially suited to people who gain weight from eating an excess of carbohydrates or are insulin resistant

if you type hydroxycitric acid carbohydrates into a search engine, youll see what im talking about.

they must have changed their formula than, if it doesnt contain caffeine because this is the skinny mini i found and was talking about: http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=4212

and then i just found this: http://www.naturesplus.com/products/productDetail.asp?productNumber=4326&category=26

the new formula looks much better.

hydroxycut isnt horrible. its got a lot of the same ingredients that skinny mini does.

that must have been their old formula.

snivelingchild
Sep 19th, 2007, 04:40 AM
It's not a new formula, just a different one, hence the Ultra. They've had it for years.

foxytina_69
Sep 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
ohhh. well it looks like a great formula anyways!