PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Soy?

liesl
Sep 16th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Hello fellow herbivores,

I've been a vegan for a little over a year now and a veggie for a little over two years. Mostly my family is quite supportive but occasionally they are a few naysayers who comment on this concern or that concern.

Recently it's been "too much soy is not good for you."

I know that it's just concern for me and my health but I always have this underlying suspicion (could also be read paranoia) that they are looking for one little crack in the vegan lifestyle to prove they right for eating animal products and I'm wrong for not.

I like really tofu and eat a decent amount of it--not a lot, surely not as much meat as a meat-eater eats. I'll always tell people that it's good and tastes good (and I will cook it for them to prove it) and now they are telling me too much is bad. (The same people who scarf down a whole huge steak. :rolleyes: )

I've been trying to read up on it but find it awfully confusing with conflicting opinions and studies.
So I was just wondering whats the deal with "too much soy"?
How much is too much?
What is the recommended daily intake of tofu?
People keep mentioning tofu has too much estrogen?
How much estrogen is in tofu?
And how does it compare to the estrogen level in chicken? (I've always heard it was were really high--that men who eat excessive amounts of chicken can even develop man-boobs and fertility problems.)

Thanks so much.
:)
Liesl

Korn
Sep 16th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Hi liesl, you may get some replies to this thread soon, and the in threads our soy (soya) forum might have some answers to your questions already:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

HappyVegan
Sep 16th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I've read both sides of the debate and have decided to use it in moderation just like everything else. Like you, I love tofu and have it 4-5 times a week. To try to balance this out I drink rice or almond milk instead of soy and I have to stay away from most fake meats anyway because they contain wheat. I also use Earth Balance which is a soy based margarine but I think that's it. I think as long as you're not eating massive amounts (like 3-4 servings a day) you'll be fine.

liesl
Sep 17th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I didn't even notice the whole soya forum. I look around but obviously not well enough.
I'll be sure to browse around there for my answers.
Thanks again.