PDA

View Full Version : Foods I Avoid for Health

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 5th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I got to thinking about foods I might actually enjoy the taste of but are not things I eat for health reasons...any one else have anything they avoid?

Peanut Butter and peanuts (Peanuts are hard to digest, cause gassyness and contain "aflatoxins" and fungus which have been shown to cause cancer, especially RAW peanuts)

Cooked oils and fried foods (They are not healthy, are difficult to digest and irritate the gallbladder, giving me a headache without fail!)

Table Salt (Do I really need to explain this one? ;) )

White flour, bread, pasta etc. (These all are basically "glue" to the intestines and serve no nutritional function, causing bloating and discomfort)

Artichoke47
Nov 5th, 2004, 04:14 PM
I don't avoid altogether, but I do eat limited quantities of high-fat foods, such as avocado, coconut, nuts, and seeds.

And I don't eat many sweets, like cake, cookies, pudding, ice cream, et cetera, because the nutritional value is minimal and the calorie level is high!

Mystic
Nov 5th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Anything with refined sugar, hydrigonated fats and "white" grains I limit, but don't avoid altogether.

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 5th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Mmmm, Crusty White Bread, lovely but lethal!!!

bananaHammock
Nov 5th, 2004, 09:59 PM
I got to thinking about foods I might actually enjoy the taste of but are not things I eat for health reasons...any one else have anything they avoid?

Peanut Butter and peanuts (Peanuts are hard to digest, cause gassyness and contain "aflatoxins" and fungus which have been shown to cause cancer, especially RAW peanuts)

Cooked oils and fried foods (They are not healthy, are difficult to digest and irritate the gallbladder, giving me a headache without fail!)

Table Salt (Do I really need to explain this one? ;) )

White flour, bread, pasta etc. (These all are basically "glue" to the intestines and serve no nutritional function, causing bloating and discomfort)

Hi, could you please explain the deal with raw peanuts? I eat them all the time, that's how I get most of my protein..

And what about bread? what's wrong with whole grain bread and whole wheat pasta?

Table salt? that's how I enhance my food....

Arghhhh that's i feel bloated all the time...i'm not eating right

snivelingchild
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:55 PM
I avoid the same as CC, and also mushrooms as I've read they cause an unwanted level of fungus in the body which can cause disease/immune disfunctions.

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 6th, 2004, 03:56 AM
I also *never* eat hydrogentated oils (they fall under the category of cooked oils as well) or Mushrooms...I used to LOVE Mushrooms! :(

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Hi, could you please explain the deal with raw peanuts? I eat them all the time, that's how I get most of my protein..

And what about bread? what's wrong with whole grain bread and whole wheat pasta?

Table salt? that's how I enhance my food....

Arghhhh that's i feel bloated all the time...i'm not eating right

Are you sure the peanuts are raw and not cooked/roasted? At any rate, they are still not the best choice...Look up "aflatoxin" and "molds" in relation to peanuts and see what you come up with...

There is nothing really "wrong" with bread or any of the foods you have listed if it serves you to eat them...It doesn't serve me for the reasons I listed and so I avoid them...they are not health-building foods for me...

Table salt? You'd be better off with Umeboshi, Miso, Bragg's or Shoyu if you *must* have salt. Celtic Sea Salt is a better choice. Better still, herbs, spices and such to enhance foods :)

blue
Nov 6th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Wow, you guys are killing me! I love mushrooms,this is a source of comfort for me!

I avoid food with wheat, gives me headaches! Killer, killer migrains, knock down, fall down, can't get up, take shots, throw up, can't eat, can't drink, migrains!!!!!!!!

foxytina_69
Nov 6th, 2004, 08:21 AM
mmm me too. i love onions and mushrooms fried in olive oil. or stuffed mushroom caps :|

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:05 PM
I avoid food with wheat, gives me headaches! Killer, killer migrains, knock down, fall down, can't get up, take shots, throw up, can't eat, can't drink, migrains!!!!!!!!

Mushrooms do the same to me! I was able to source a migraine to the mushrooms I ate and a few other foods...

MzNatural
Nov 6th, 2004, 02:58 PM
I dislike processed foods. Eating them makes me feel ‘weighted down’. I avoid refined sugars, (I occasionally use turbinado sugar) flour products. I occasionally eat sprouted breads. I have eaten tofu a few times at restaurants. I still have packages sitting in the freezer. Perhaps I will use it in a dessert
I occasionally use nut milks. I started making them myself.

cowpie
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Mushrooms? I've always heard they were good for you. They're not? Hmmmm....It's just as well.....I don't like mushrooms, anyway....but peanut butter? I've heard about the antifloxins, but I though the natural organic peanut butter was all right....

John
Nov 7th, 2004, 01:14 AM
I eat all those things and I am as healthy as a horse. *knocking on wood*

indianvegan
Nov 7th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Three white poisons ---

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil ( White gee).

White Flour.

White processed sugar.

Manish

blue
Nov 7th, 2004, 07:06 AM
CC - That's interesting about the mushrooms and the migrains. I wonder if they could be a source of mine.

I'm having uncontrollable migrains right now. I haven't been able to explain it, because I haven't been eating the wheat. It could be the mushrooms. I eat them a source of comfort food. They fill me up, make me feel good. They were kind of a meat replacement for me. I loved them!

I'm at work with a migrain that has me so sick I can't stand it. I just had a 911 call and I can hardly function. I took my medication, I guess I'll take a shot, if I don't get some relief, but an officer is going to have to sit in here for about 15 min while I deal with the affects of the shot.

Lord, help me!

John
Nov 7th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Three white poisons ---

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil ( White gee).

White Flour.

White processed sugar.

Manish

Actually, I very rarely eat those things.

gertvegan
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Caffeine. Even the smell of it gives me a headache. :confused:

ConsciousCuisine
Nov 8th, 2004, 02:53 PM
OH! Okay...I forget about things that I don't eat, since they are in my "closed case" files...Let me update my list: I also avoid Coffee, Soda and Alcohol (except a bit of Organic Red Wine a few times a year) ;)

Northern Lights
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:26 PM
I avoid the 'whites' as well like Manish listed. No coffee or pop, but I LOVE Caf-lib, a roasted grain coffee alternative. It's my nice warm winter wake up.

I am trying to avoid eating to much soya products and also processed foods. The soya I'm avoiding because I find the natural phytoestrogens play havoc with my hormonal balances. Someday I might increase my soya consumption (premenopausal time) to use the natural chemicals. But I'm a long way off from that point!
The processed foods... too processed! If I can't pronounce all the ingredients I don't eat it. If it's not a naturally occuring ingredient, I try not to eat it.

There's too much out there that is good and good for you...I try to keep it simple!

Fruitbat
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Fats: esp deep-fat fried foods but generalyl cooking with any kind of fat is unhealthy and therefore not done in my cooking - I LOVE healthy fats though so eat LOADS of avocadoes, Udo oil supplement, nuts, and seeds

Refined foods

Processed foods (I occasinally have sausage, melted cheese or fish substitutes once a week)

Wheat, rye and oats cos they make me acid and bloated - may have a slight allergy????

Bread - I prefer to get my carbs from whole foods such as pulses and nuts - also I love bread too much so if I start eating it I never stop

I noticed my soy consumption was getting ridiculous so I now try to limit tofu to max of 3 times a week, 1L soy milk and the occasional soy yoghurt or ice cream

Dried fruit in limitation - fresh is best

basteq
Nov 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM
my basic criteria :

AS NATURAL AS POSSIBLE.

So mostly I avoid things that are processed. Vegan or not I don't like them.

SO AS FRESH AS POSSIBLE.

Kiva Dancer
Nov 27th, 2004, 09:15 AM
If I can't pronounce all the ingredients I don't eat it. If it's not a naturally occuring ingredient, I try not to eat it. That's my philosophy, completely. It really cuts out a lot of stuff that's not good in the first place. I have few exceptions to that rule, but I limit them. Everything else is out.

Tigerlily
Nov 27th, 2004, 12:52 PM
I really try to avoid sweets and fried foods. I've been on Weight Watchers since June, so I've been trying my best to avoid them since then. I think I'd get sick if I had some now, especially the fried stuff.

And for the hydrogenated oils, good thing I don't like margarine and good thing foods with hydrogenated oils in them are fatty or sweet, so I avoid those. :)

As for anything else....stuff with really long, ridiculous ingredient lists.

superfly
Nov 27th, 2004, 03:59 PM
of late, i've been eating as close to a raw diet as possible.
i avoid like the plague:
anything with partially-hydroginated veggie oil
anything with high fructose corn syrup
canola oil http://www.karinya.com/canola.htm
white bread
white sugar
highly processed food (if it has alot of carb grams and little fiber, i'm not eating it)