PDA

View Full Version : Non-animal based product with non-vegan recipes printed on the back. Odd ?

Pages : [1] 2

J Jingle
Sep 18th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I often add vegan carob chips to my morning oatmeal for an extra kick. Today while waiting for the oatmeal to cook, I noticed that the vegan carob chip bag has non-vegan recipes printed on the back. Does anyone else find this odd? I feel like writing the company just to ask why.

Mr Flibble
Sep 18th, 2007, 01:59 PM
?

I don't see the link between carob and vegan.

watervoilet
Sep 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Not all vegan products are aimed at vegans alone it may be ok for us but others may enjoy carob chips. The company who make them are more than likely trying to sell there product to a big a market as possible.

Korn
Sep 18th, 2007, 03:29 PM
True - carob isn't more 'vegan' than chocolate or popcorn or tortilla chips - or water. It's a non-animal based product, but so is potatoes, garlic and coconuts - which all may be used in a non-vegan context.

RubyDuby
Sep 18th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I always found it odd that egg replacer has tons of non-vegan recipes on the back... I guess there are people out there who avoid eggs for health reasons though...

Maisiepaisie
Sep 18th, 2007, 04:46 PM
It puts me off to find non-vegan recipes. If theres an alternative product I'll buy that instead. I find it rather offensive TBH

Gorilla
Sep 18th, 2007, 05:35 PM
it used to annoy me that there were non-vegan recipes on soya milk packaging, etc. but now i tend to think that it's because they're trying to reach a wider audience that vegan products are so easily available these days, which i think is a good thing. it's also better for omnis to buy a vegan product than a non-vegan one, imo.

pat sommer
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Go ahead and write to them, politely, with veganized versions of those recipes!

Catch more flies with...

Roxy
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:37 PM
My box of Belsoy soy cream has a picture of fish on the front and chicken on the back, despite it also saying it's suitable for vegans and vegetarians :rolleyes:

pat sommer
Sep 18th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I imagine, Roxz, that the Belsoy would appeal to Jews who don't mix flesh with dairy. In kosher places I sit in the meat section so I can enjoy all the fake dairy! Let's face it we are a (still) niche market

RubyDuby
Sep 18th, 2007, 10:32 PM
ooh, good idea. I wonder where I can find a kosher restaurant...

absentmindedfan
Sep 18th, 2007, 10:37 PM
RubyDuby have you seen this (http://www.toliveandeatinla.com/)? The author goes to alot of amazing looking restaurants in LA

RubyDuby
Sep 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM
drool... thank you!! :)

Umbriel
Sep 19th, 2007, 05:25 AM
I was very happy to see our local supermarket had gotten in a whole range of marinated tofu, only to be disappointed. Marinade contained honey and chicken, beef, and fish flavoring. :eek::confused:

I guess tofu sale's to omni's are going will.

J Jingle
Sep 19th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Let me clarify further by saying the bag is label as "Vegan Carob Chips." So, it stands out as being marketed to vegans when you are standing in the grocery aisle and looking at the shelf.

I briefly visited the website. The term vegan is used, but it is never explained. I presume that using the term vegan on the bag is merely a marketing ploy. Completing business school made me a complete skeptic of business and marketing. I despise exploration, but it appears to be all around us.

harpy
Sep 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM
It does seem odd but I suppose by labelling them "vegan" they are just saying they're suitable for vegans, rather than that only vegans should buy them.

I liked Pat's idea of sending them some vegan recipes with a suggestion they print those on the packs.

RubyDuby
Sep 19th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I was very happy to see our local supermarket had gotten in a whole range of marinated tofu, only to be disappointed. Marinade contained honey and chicken, beef, and fish flavoring. :eek::confused:

what?? :eek:

nothing is safe!

Mr Flibble
Sep 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Tofu did not come into existance for vegans to eat; I'd be very suprised if there are more vegans consuming tofu in the world than non vegans. I'd be suprised if the ratio was less than 50:1 (non-vegans:vegans). It's an ingredient not a meat substitute.

Umbriel
Sep 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Tofu did not come into existance for vegans to eat; I'd be very suprised if there are more vegans consuming tofu in the world than non vegans. I'd be suprised if the ration was less than 50:1 (non-vegans:vegans). It's an ingredient not a meat substitute.

So very true. I just wish the marinated tofu was something we could all enjoy. Where I live there are not many vegan friendly specialty items, it was disappointing.

Roxy
Sep 20th, 2007, 01:46 AM
I imagine, Roxz, that the Belsoy would appeal to Jews who don't mix flesh with dairy.

Oh yeah lol - I never thought of that.

That's super disappointing about that tofu Umbriel :(

bugaboo
Sep 20th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I see all the omni recipes on the back of pineapple tins and green beans, etc. It makes me sad but, of course, I take it in stride because I know I am not the only person who enjoys pineapple or whatever.

A lot of products in the grocery stores or supermarkets are vegan, like: crackers, chips/crips, breads, pastas, etc... but rarely do those companies exclusively advertise to vegans or vegan products.

I think it would, however, be sad if one day I saw a beef recipe on the back of a "tofurkey" or "yves" vegan package.

But, for some reason, I don't think that will ever happen.

If soymilk were only bought by vegans, the soy companies would go bankrupt. If Boca burgers or Gardenburgers were only sold to vegan or vegetarian households, they would go broke as well.

A lot more people are introducing veg products in their lives for health and diet reasons, or, in the case of soymilk, lactose intolerant people. Therefore I don't see a direct correlation between vegan or veg products and the omnivore diet.

I'm sure there are companies out there that only sell vegan products but it's a rare trade.

Even the companies who make vegan cheeses and meats still produce real dairy products.

Let's just do whatever we can in our own personal consumer habits. If you send letters to a potato chip company saying that you disagree with their "chicken nachos" recipe, do you really think they will listen?

zendogjoe
Oct 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
While vegans make up a small segment of the buying public, it seems that people who are not vegans who buy vegan products do so, in part, to sample the vegan experience.

For instance, I quit subscribing to Vegetarian Times when the editor in an editorial defended printing a recipe that included oyster sauce (which, of course, is not vegetarian). The editor reasoned that not all people who bought the magazine were vegetarians. Well, that's no doubt true, but anyone who buys a magazine for vegetarians, whether or not he or she is a vegetarian, is obviously interested in learning more about what it is like to be a vegetarian. Therefore, you're cheating your non-vegeartian readers, as well as your vegetarian readers.

(I suspect the real reason was to lure advertisers who produced non-vegetarian items.)

Also, I wouldn't rule out ignorance on the part of package designers when it comes to choosing recipes for vegan foods. They could just be clueless omnis.

J Jingle
Oct 15th, 2007, 08:31 PM
zendogjoe - Well said. I agree with your comments.

RubyDuby
Oct 15th, 2007, 09:06 PM
what, erm, I mean... How thoughtless and greedy of them.*

(*I'm trying to not say words like "morons" and "money grubbing dickheads")

There is no valid reason to put a non-vegetarian recipe in a Vegetarian Magazine.

My mom bought me a subscription to VegTimes a few years back and I wasn't very impressed. It seems like the editors were on the trendy boat instead of having any real reason for not supporting meat-eating. Almost every recipe had eggs or dairy... I don't consider that animal rights related, environmentally related, or diet related.

Haniska
Nov 8th, 2007, 01:56 AM
In veg mags I tend to see a lot of "If you eat fish, here is a high protein recipe."