PDA

View Full Version : "Too late to avoid global warming"

Pages : [1] 2

Michael Benis
Sep 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Articlke in UK's The Independentof 19/09/2007: http://environment.independent.co.uk/climate_change/article2976669.ece

Noogle
Sep 19th, 2007, 09:23 AM
That's so scary. What a shame the earth took so long to wake up to the issues.

Hemlock
Sep 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Greed is why nothing has been done and greed will be the reason we all die in the end.
Some idiot wanting designer everything and a big 4x4 car will always win over living a green frugal life.
Big businesses don't give a stuff about global warming, all that matters is profit. Because of that we will all die out in the end.

eve
Feb 6th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Have to agree with you Hemlock, as depressing as it is.

One thing that concerns me, is how everybody including big business is getting into bed with the global warming/climate change lobby. There's Al Gore with his dvd 'An Inconvenient Truth' yet he doesn't mention a truth that is inconvenient to him - the disastrous effects of the meat industry on the environment. Governments seem to be taking advantage of the climate change business to promote the nuclear issue as 'clean fuel' etc. Following a money trail is quite interesting. The other day there was a scientist on the radio talking about his work with squirrels, and couldn't get a grant until he called it 'squirrels and global warming'.

Another thing is that people laugh at those who made the dvd 'The Great Global Warming Swindle' - I was told the maker was laughed off the screens in the UK. However, as someone who has always been the odd one out, it is my view that very often people, even going back to Galileo, are laughed at when their views differ from the norm.

People say to me that we have the evidence before our eyes, certainly there are floods where I live, following a drought that lasted several months - which people say was the worst for four decades (so what happened 5 decades ago?), and there are tornadoes etc. But I remember even in my early childhood, my father telling us of all the people who drowned in China in the Yellow River floods (this is before tv of course). So catastrophes are not new.

IS there some conspiracy here?

ImVeganOUT!!!
Feb 11th, 2008, 04:15 AM
global warming is b.s....the earth goes through temperature changes on its own...example: ICE AGE???

Think about it..people are freaking out
we cant poredict the temperature change in the future thats for mother nature to decide
!!

Risker
Feb 11th, 2008, 10:05 AM
global warming is b.s....the earth goes through temperature changes on its own...example: ICE AGE???

we cant poredict the temperature change in the future thats for mother nature to decide
!!

Sorry but the vast majority of scientists disagree with you. Global warming is not BS.

emzy1985
Feb 11th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Not trying to start an argument, as I agree with the global warming theory, but alot of scientists would disagree with our views on vivisection and say it is bullshit when to us it quite obviously isn't.

ImVeganOUT!!!
Feb 11th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Sorry but the vast majority of scientists disagree with you. Global warming is not BS.

Thats of the scientist that they do show you..they dont want to advertise the scientist that say global warming is not true

although i dont think any human can change/predict wats gonna happen in the future

how much you wanna bet that theyre gonna start saying that the next ice age is coming

i think people are overreacting..and i really dont think that all the cars put together can destroy the earth

and i also think that there is a alot worse stuff going on than that we need to take care of first off

eve
Feb 12th, 2008, 03:39 AM
It's all about the big dollar sign, and of course people panic (look how Americans have been panicking since 9/11 - that is SEVEN years ago). But as to climate change, my own view is that the proponents want an excuse to get countries to use nuclear for power, etc. emzy1985 is right in my view, a lot of scientists would disagree with our views on vivisection and say it is bullshit when to us it quite obviously isn't.

emzy1985
Feb 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM
You are right with the nuclear power thing Eve! They are pushing for that big time in th UK when there are so many other ways to get power. I mean we are an island for goodness sake!

magpie
Apr 15th, 2008, 12:42 AM
The leaders of the world are doing nothing about global warming, they just make gestures to make we slaves think they care.

The real problems the slave masters of the world face is that oil is part of the web of enslavement, they want their slaves chained, chained to fossil fuels and power they control, chained to medicine and products that do more to kill than to cure, chained by debt to live as indentured servants to their banks, owning no land so they have to buy toxic food that they supply.

When that guy invented the water powered engine twenty years ago he was offered 1 billion to bury it, when that didn't work they threatened to kill his family and since then nothing more is heard of him. The same media that reported it never mentions him, no doubt at the instruction of the masters. Faced with global warming you'd think global leaders would be falling over themselves to get that invention up and running, but they can't have people producing their own power, they can't have the chains that bind the slave cut. So what they do it build more nuclear, they make filling stations for hydrogen they produce and gamble with the lives of the slave billions that their creeping changes will work in time. They'd rather see the slaves die before freeing them.

Until people wake up and realize that they are slaves they will live under tyranny. The people that run the world, the fat cats , bankers, politicians and all associated scum are worse than mafia. They live off the suffering of others. They create fake democracy where they have to, to hide the fact that they actually bring oppression.

What I do think they fear at the moment is that the people may realise at some point what they actually are, when they're drowning in the floods, or starving in the cities, or dying in the storms, the people may realise just how duped they've been and get rid of them in time.

Tin-Tin
Apr 15th, 2008, 05:45 AM

!!

im gonna have to disagree as well im afraid

it is true that the ice age
and things like that come around on their own
but the truth is
we ARE helping it a long

the point is . . . that YES it IS going to happen
but when
and thats when us old humans come into the equation
the release of billions of tonnes more greenhouse gases than would ever have been released by nature

so yeah
its borderline
we all have to accept it was going to happen anyway
but at the same time we have to hold our hands up and say
"but it's our fault its already well on its way"

XxsarahxX
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:40 AM

!!

i used to think that then i looked into it more and realised that i was wishful thinking.
humans just got to greedy and destroyed everything and now most are to comfortable in there own ways.:no_expression:

XxsarahxX
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:52 AM
wouldn't an ice age mean the ice wouldn't be mealting?
because it seems to be mealting just my observation i spose it could quickly change with the weather as crazy as it is.

gogs67
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Global warming is accepted as FACT, it's taken 30 years for campaigners to get governments to wake up to this and now folk are complaining because business and governments are doing something about it! lol
Sorry folks but it's naive in the extreme to think that people will change without profit, if companies are now making money out of global warming BUT HELPING COUNTERACT IT AT THE SAME TIME then so be it.

As for nuclear power, well all my life i've been anti using it, all i've ever heard is how destructive radiation is and scientists saying how risky it is, and yet all the evidence from Chernobyl, the worst nuclear accident in history, is showing nature has recovered to a large degree in 20 odd years????????
I remember at the time scientists telling us the death toll could run into the millions (Scotland was directly in the path of the fallout) but the last i heard the figure was expected to be in the low thousands!!! Explain that one? Maybe it's not the big evil we've all been told and it's certainly a sure way to provide the power we're gonna need in the future.

emzy1985
Apr 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
The leaders of the world are doing nothing about global warming, they just make gestures to make we slaves think they care.

The real problems the slave masters of the world face is that oil is part of the web of enslavement, they want their slaves chained, chained to fossil fuels and power they control, chained to medicine and products that do more to kill than to cure, chained by debt to live as indentured servants to their banks, owning no land so they have to buy toxic food that they supply.

When that guy invented the water powered engine twenty years ago he was offered 1 billion to bury it, when that didn't work they threatened to kill his family and since then nothing more is heard of him. The same media that reported it never mentions him, no doubt at the instruction of the masters. Faced with global warming you'd think global leaders would be falling over themselves to get that invention up and running, but they can't have people producing their own power, they can't have the chains that bind the slave cut. So what they do it build more nuclear, they make filling stations for hydrogen they produce and gamble with the lives of the slave billions that their creeping changes will work in time. They'd rather see the slaves die before freeing them.

Until people wake up and realize that they are slaves they will live under tyranny. The people that run the world, the fat cats , bankers, politicians and all associated scum are worse than mafia. They live off the suffering of others. They create fake democracy where they have to, to hide the fact that they actually bring oppression.

What I do think they fear at the moment is that the people may realise at some point what they actually are, when they're drowning in the floods, or starving in the cities, or dying in the storms, the people may realise just how duped they've been and get rid of them in time.

I couldn't agree more! Have you heard of NWO theory?

Pilaf
Apr 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Even the most hardcore oil exec would be foolish to try to bury alternative fuels - especially when we'll reach Peak Oil within as few as a couple of decades.

Zero
Apr 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Global warming is accepted as FACT, it's taken 30 years for campaigners to get governments to wake up to this and now folk are complaining because business and governments are doing something about it! lol
Sorry folks but it's naive in the extreme to think that people will change without profit, if companies are now making money out of global warming BUT HELPING COUNTERACT IT AT THE SAME TIME then so be it.

Large business and government are doing very little in my opinion, they are using this to make more money as you say, but are doing as little as possible for the cause and not improving in areas where it makes them even slightly less profitable.

Let us consider the fact that Co2 is the main issue that is being focused upon, why is no one focusing on the fact that not cutting down acres upon acres of trees every day would help with this issue? Products that are sourced from those trees can be made via more renewable and sustainable vegetation, however it's just not as profitable or as easy, you are right they could simply make the consumer pay more for these more complicated methods, but why would they bother when they can continue getting their raw materials extra cheap from 3rd world workers who are being underpaid for the materials.

The concept of "grow or die" for these businesses is a large part of our capitalist society and they are only concerned about making bigger profits at the expense of anything else.

It's not that it's too late, it's that they just arent really concerning themselves with it.

Manzana
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:41 PM

!!

I am not sure what your background is ImveganOUT!!! and you are most certainly entitled to an opinion regardless of what it is BUT... I am no climate scientist (i am a scientist nevertheless) and I would not be making assumptions like that one when they can have such disastrous effect if you were to be mistaken...

I invite you to watch the following videos:

http://www.bwebcentral.com/blog/3/626
http://youtube.com/watch?v=mF_anaVcCXg&feature=related

Mila
Apr 19th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Personally, I am inclined to err on the side of caution. Many of our problems stem from overconsumption and carelessness, so I do what I can: I only use public transportation, bicycle, or foot to get around, I'm vegan, I buy bulk items at my local co-op (You cart in your jars, fill them up, and buy! No waste!), use little processed foodstuffs, drink tap water, and I buy my produce and nuts at the local farmers' market. Doing these things also helps to stimulate the local economy and keeps me personally healthy. The person who can't bring themselves to do even a couple of these things usually rationalizes with selfish convenience and foolish excuses like tradition or habit. It's like the old saying goes: "Waste not, want not."

cruelkitti
Apr 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM
I believe global warming is true...

BUT, even if it's not...I don't see any harm in trying to prevent or slow it...what's the worst that could happen? People become more aware and live greener lives?? *GASP* =)

Roxy
Apr 21st, 2008, 05:50 AM
I used to be a big fan of Al Gore's when An Inconvenient Truth came out. Don't get me wrong - I think the documentary has helped raise global warming awareness a great deal and I'm glad the show was made.

The guy though, is just a huge hypocrite :( Living in a huge mansion which uses excessive amount of electricity, and he's a meat eater. :amazed_ani:

Risker
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:09 AM
Everyones a hypocrite

emzy1985
Apr 21st, 2008, 06:36 AM
Everyones a hypocrite
In some way or another yes, everyone is a hypocrite.

Mila
Apr 21st, 2008, 07:04 AM
Everyones a hypocrite
Yeah, even those of us who try really hard are still doing something wrong, right? But some of us *cough*AlGore*cough* are bigger hypocrites than others.