PDA

View Full Version : vegan vegetable book?

cobweb
Sep 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
can anyone recommend me a vegan-friendly book purely about cooking vegetables, please?

I would really like to be much more 'adventurous' with my vegetable preparation, and use them pretty much as my entire meal ingredients.

I'm fed up with buying books from Amazon that appear to fit the bill, only to find that they are all based around flesh dishes :mad:. The ideas for the veggies might be ok but as soon as i open up and see headings for Lamb cutlets or whatever, it puts me right off :eek:.

Windfall
Sep 19th, 2007, 07:07 PM
ive seen one, and ill try to find it on amazon for you cobweb!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Field-Guide-Produce-Virtually-Vegetable/dp/1931686807/ref=sr_1_18/203-0092727-9574348?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190225393&sr=1-18

id like one of those

Mr Flibble
Sep 19th, 2007, 08:07 PM
this book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Chefs%C2%AE-Knife-Kit/dp/0471349976/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/202-9224653-5970214) has info on cutting veg, but not cooking. About half of the book isn't vegetarian friendly. It's expensive, but it is a good book.

morningstaryumm
Oct 20th, 2008, 07:40 AM
this isnt that expensive. like ten bucks. its what i use. just tryin to help a fellow veg!
http://hubpages.com/hub/Easy-Vegan-Meals

Risker
Oct 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
this isnt that expensive. like ten bucks. its what i use. just tryin to help a fellow veg!
http://hubpages.com/hub/Easy-Vegan-Meals

You don't happen to own that website do you? Only you appear to be doing that thing they call spamming...

pavotrouge
Oct 26th, 2008, 06:24 PM
has Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian" been mentioned here? It's a huge (read: phonebook sized), not too expensive book. Every vegetable/vegetable group has its own chapter with facts about nutrition, its history, how to prepare it in general and a lot of recipes.

While it's a bit heavy on the Indian site, I haven't tried a single recipe that I didn't like and have found so many recipes I've never seen before in similar cookbooks. It's called vegetarian but the majority of recipes is vegan.

cobweb
Oct 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
ta, pavot, i will check that out.

i have also bought a book called The Alternative Vegan which is all meals based around the produce aisles. Having said all that i am eating cheap shite at the moment.

pavotrouge
Oct 28th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I sorta know the author, he's a cutie :)

Though I found the "recipes" in Alternative Vegan all a bit on the plain and beginner's cook side. I do love Dino's chit-chat but there wasn't much cooking info in it for me, let alone new recipes, so I passed it on to a friend.

cobweb
Oct 28th, 2008, 09:58 PM
i am a VERY plain cook so it's fine for me! :thumbsup:

mariana
Oct 28th, 2008, 10:56 PM
has Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian" been mentioned here? It's a huge (read: phonebook sized), not too expensive book. Every vegetable/vegetable group has its own chapter with facts about nutrition, its history, how to prepare it in general and a lot of recipes.

While it's a bit heavy on the Indian site, I haven't tried a single recipe that I didn't like and have found so many recipes I've never seen before in similar cookbooks. It's called vegetarian but the majority of recipes is vegan.
Ooh, I was going to mention that book...I love it! I only brought 2 cookbooks with me to London, and they were World Vegetarian + VCTOTW...although World Veg really counts as 2 or 3! :D The thing I really like about World Vegetarian is how it's arranged by vegetable...so if I happen to find a certain veg at the farmer's market and don't know what to do with it, I can just flip to the section for that vegetable! (Though it is a bit annoying how heavy it is on the Indian side...I love Indian food, but it is supposed to be WORLD Vegetarian!)

cobweb
Oct 28th, 2008, 11:22 PM
hmm, the indian theme is the only off-putting thing for me as i cannot abide anything with strong herbs or spices, i would never eat a curry, for example.

mariana
Oct 28th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Hmm, yeah, sounds like it might not be the best book for you then. The recipes tend to use a lot of spices, which I love, but if you're not a fan of strong herbs or spices they would probably be too overpowering for you. But then again I'm not sure, because I rarely follow recipes (from that book or elsewhere) exactly--I always find myself adding more spices! :)

pavotrouge
Oct 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I find recipes from that book turning out bland if I use the original amount of spices, so it might be ok ;)

mariana
Oct 30th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I find recipes from that book turning out bland if I use the original amount of spices, so it might be ok ;)
Hehe, yeah, I rarely use the original amount of spices either! :D I don't think I've ever made a recipe straight out of that book, I always look at it and think "wow, this could really use some more ___" :)

pavotrouge
Nov 2nd, 2008, 05:23 PM
hum... I just thought about cookbooks in the tram the other day (aye, that's me :rolleyes: )- and I think Alternative Vegan is more heavy on the Indian side than World Vegetarian.

cobweb
Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
really?
oh, hmm.
(thanks for thinking of my thread on the tram!)

hchez
Nov 3rd, 2008, 01:32 AM
Hi I actually know the person who compiled this book and she is a brilliant cook. She not only is a vegan, but she has all of these allergies, so her recipes are very healthy and creative. I know she has put it together to help others like her, so it is really cheap. You might want to take a look. This is the link http://www.healthyveganliving.com/veganrecipebook.html
Cheers hope it helps. :smile:

pavotrouge
Nov 3rd, 2008, 09:40 PM
I think of lots of things on the tram, after all it's 1.5 hrs of my day :D

cobweb
Nov 4th, 2008, 12:22 PM
thanks hchez

ah, excellent thinking time then pavot