PDA

View Full Version : Banana's sped up roast pumpkin soup

Mystic
Nov 6th, 2004, 07:00 AM
As requested by JK, here is the recipe of my sped up roasted pumpkin soup:

Ingredients:
- 500g pumpkin, cut into chunks (any variety is fine - I used Jap)
- 4 medium potatoes (around 600g)
- 1 onion, quartered
- 5 whole garlic cloves
- 200g carrot, cut into same size as potato and pumpkin chunks
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- dried rosemary to taste
- salt to taste

1. Preheat oven to 250 C, and put in the onion and whole garlic. Meanwhile, steam the potatoes, carrots and pumpkin until they are just tender. Reserve the liquid.
2. Put the steamed vegetables with the onion and garlic and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle rosemary to taste.
3. Roast in the oven for around 1/2 hour or longer, depending on how 'roasty' you want it to be!
4. Put the vegetables, sea salt to taste and the reserved cooking water in a blender and blend until desired consistency. Add more water if desired.
5. Serve with bread and salad!!!!

JasperKat
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:12 PM
This looks great! I'm making soup to take over my family's house for Thanksgiving and this sounds perfect! Thanks!
-JK

Mystic
Nov 7th, 2004, 11:48 PM
No problem JK - I hope you like it!

JasperKat
Nov 16th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Banana-
Just wanted to let you know that I made a test batch of the soup. It came out very....um, thick. We ate it on crackers, actually. :) Next time I will add more water and more pumpkin. All I have available around here are pie pumkins. Do you think pumpkin pie filling would work as well?
-JK

Mystic
Nov 16th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I like it thick, but if you like a thinner base then adding more water (or even stock if you like) should be fine.

I have never seen pie pumpkin in my life...if it is just canned ready mashed pumpkin, then I don't see why it wouldn't work - in fact it would probably be speedier and just as tasty!!!!!

I know you said it was too thick, but did it taste okay :) ????

JasperKat
Nov 17th, 2004, 11:55 PM
It was pretty good despite the consistancy. I like my soups thick as well, but this was more of a dip. :D
I was pretty lax with my conversions, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Next time, which will be Thanksgiving, I'm going to use canned pumpkin and more carrots. It was very potatoey.
-JK