PDA

View Full Version : Tofu in Sandwichs?

Honest_Goodbye
Sep 24th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Hi all. I have quite a bit of tofu in my fridge and was thinking of having it in sandwiches when i start back at uni. I'm just a little clueless as the best way to go about it! I've looked up some tofu sandwich ideas on the net, but lots include ingredients i've never heard of!

Does anyone have any simple and easy tofu sandwich recipes?

Thanks. x

RubyDuby
Sep 24th, 2007, 05:47 PM
http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=365023#post365023

heres a couple ideas on the last pg. probably more earlier in the thread to.

xrodolfox
Sep 24th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Option 1:
Tofu Eggless sandwiches:

Veganise + tofu + tumeric + salt
mash it up to yellowish mushy consistency (about 2 parts tofu for 1 part veganise)

Put in a sandwich.

Option #2
tofu with avocado

Slice tofu. Dress it with flax oil, nutritional yeast, and salt. Put it on a bun with avocado and veganise. Eat.

Honest_Goodbye
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Ooh wow, thanks :) I'll try some ideas out hehe.

missbettie
Sep 24th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I absolutly adore the eggless egg salad sandwiches yummmmmmm

cookielynn
Sep 25th, 2007, 04:10 AM
One that I like is tofu and spinach.
Fry the tofu in olive oil/soy sauce. Saute the spinach in olive oil w/garlic. Spread some bread w/tofutti cream cheese and pile on tofu and spinach.

It's fast but tasty.

Also have you checked out vegweb.com? They have a whole section on tofu sandwiches. (that's where I got the above idea from!)

bugaboo
Sep 25th, 2007, 04:31 AM
it sounds crazy i'm sure but tofu peanut butter sandwiches are so good. just brown 1/2" slices of tofu in a pan with a little oil and sweetener of choice, then place tofu piece in between two slices of bread with peanut butter.

i think peanut butter is more of an american thing so you may not be keen. it's lovely though. kind of like a vegan peanut butter-marshmallow sandwich.

missbettie
Sep 25th, 2007, 07:57 AM
mmm peanut butter! with a spoon straight out of the jar mmmmm

harpy
Sep 25th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I made a really primitive tofu sandwich last night - it was just pre-marinated and pre-cooked tofu bits (Cauldron) rolled in a flour tortilla with sliced cucumber and tomato chutney. It was pretty good and took 2 minutes tops to make.

You could use ordinary bread and plain tofu but you might want to marinate the tofu and grill or bake it first.

sugarmouse
Sep 25th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Try http://vegweb.com/, I am sure theyll have some ideas:)

Honest_Goodbye
Sep 26th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks all!! Ooh i like the spinach idea... not sure if i'm keen on peanut butter, haven't had it for years, will have to try it again! Hehe.

derwenna
Sep 26th, 2007, 10:01 PM
You could slice it and fry it with some spices like ground cumin or chilli powder.

Roxy
Sep 27th, 2007, 12:02 AM
it sounds crazy i'm sure but tofu peanut butter sandwiches are so good. just brown 1/2" slices of tofu in a pan with a little oil and sweetener of choice, then place tofu piece in between two slices of bread with peanut butter.

i think peanut butter is more of an american thing so you may not be keen. it's lovely though. kind of like a vegan peanut butter-marshmallow sandwich.

That sounds divine! :)

veggedoutnluvinit
Jan 7th, 2008, 08:26 AM
vietnamese sandwiches have tofu in them, i think they sautee the tofu and put a bunch of fresh veggies like shredded carrots, cucumber, cilantro and the like...you can look on the web for exact recipes (http://www.sodelicious.org)/info! they are yummmmy....

Aradia
Jan 7th, 2008, 08:37 AM
coat some slices of tofu in sweet chillie sauce and then bake, grill or fry (I bake).

then have them sandwich with sliced avocado and coriander leaves. Yummy!!

Aurore
Jan 16th, 2008, 02:16 PM
i mostly put tofu cubes in salads stored in a tupperware, but i'll sure use some of those ideas next time i take a sandwich at uni !

AnneCE
Jan 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Boots do tofu sandwiches - they have thin slices of tofu, some salad and a sweet chilli sauce - quite nice too. It's probably what I would make if I made one myself. http://www.flickr.com/photos/laura_a/2177945715/ for a pic of the "Thin Lizzie" sandwich.

snaffler
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Smoked Tofu, Lettuce, and Toms with brown sauce :p

Tiffeecanoe
Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Do you like spicy? Can you easily find Jerk Seasonings over there? Such as Walker Woods Brand. The wet rub variety, not dry rub!

One of our standbys at home are Jerk Tofu sandwiches or wraps. Rub tofu slices w/ jerk wet rub, let sit. Then grill on the BBQ Grill or in a cast iron pan. Then top w/ lettuce, tomato and then I take maybe about 1/4 cup of veganaise and add a clove or 2 of crushed garlic and some garlic salt and a pinch of dry parsley, cilantro or whatever and use that as a sauce. SOOOO GOOD.

Kitteh
Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
I slice it, fry it, put it in a sandwich w/ avo, cuc, tom, lettuce and Plamil mayo

Elahiya
Jul 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM
or slice it, some vegs, salad, fresh herbs, tartex maybe, some ketchup, slice of tofutti...