PDA

View Full Version : Millionaires shortbread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pansypuss
Sep 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I wanted to make this for my husband for his birthday, it is his fav. but I want to eat it as well! I couldn't find a recipe so had a go in the kitchen last night. Great result so if anyone is interested this is what I did.
Equal quantities of milk (half soya milk, half soya cream) and sugar (soft brown sugar and white sugar), I used half cups, a teaspoon syrup and a chunk of vegan margarine - about 50g? Melted it all then brought it up to the boil and simmered for about 5 - 7 minutes stirring most of the time until it went sort of thicker and formed a soft ball when dropped in water. Then I beat in a few drops vanilla essence. It cooled down to a lovely soft fudge which though not quite the caramel I had hoped for is absolutely delicious and will work fine. In fact it is good as fudge - Christmas pressie idea?:)

Cherry
May 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm experimenting with this at the moment too.

cedarblue
May 4th, 2008, 01:38 PM
i tried a recipe from the vegan family house site but it used cinnamon in the toffee filling which was sooooo wrong.

bryzee86
May 4th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Let us know when you've perfected it, Chezza.

Cherry
May 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Okay ;)

Cherry
May 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
http://tmp.offline.org.uk/images/6.JPG

Well...here's today's efforts. (Photographed just now by Mr F.) Unfortunately I have no idea how I got the middle part right as I panicked when the caramel looked like it was going to set too hard and just sloshed in a load of soya milk! I'll have to measure carefully next time! The shortbread bit is coming along nicely, but I've been using cornflour for extra 'shortness' and I think I might try the more authentic semolina and see what that's like.

Sluggie
May 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM
*Volunteers to be a taste tester*

Roxy
May 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Ohhh Cherry - that looks divine :)

Cherry
Oct 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM
After MANY failed attempts at trying to recreate the perfect caramel layer, I think I've cracked it! I think it's easier to do a large stainless steel pan so the sugar melts evenly and bits of it don't overcook. I used 300g of sugar, 50g of pure margarine and 3 tablespoons of soyatoo whippable cream.

Gorilla
Oct 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM
wow, well done cherry! i used to love millionaire's shortbread :heart:

Risker
Oct 12th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I've never had it :(

(hint hint)

horselesspaul
Oct 12th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Apparently it's not millionaire's shortbread these days unless it's got 5.6 times the calorific ingredients of previous versions.
I read that. I think.

Mr Flibble
Oct 13th, 2008, 05:14 PM
After MANY failed attempts at trying to recreate the perfect caramel layer, I think I've cracked it! I think it's easier to do a large stainless steel pan so the sugar melts evenly and bits of it don't overcook. I used 300g of sugar, 50g of pure margarine and 3 tablespoons of soyatoo whippable cream.

I was thinking about this yesterday as it happens, should have just come over ;)

I'm sure that I've tried heating soyatoo before with disasterous results. It separated out and went yucky.

Glad to know it's working thou, will definitely give it a try. Which type of pure did you use?

LGBunny
Oct 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM
goodness that piccy looks amazing

*drools*

twinkle
Oct 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Y'know, I bet this would go a long way to convincing my mum she could be vegan. I would love to see a recipe! (you're going to need testers for your recipes anyway, right? ;))

ms.vegan
Oct 14th, 2008, 01:35 PM
The millionaire's shortbread idea sounds lush! this vegan has a seriously sweet tooth, and is always looking for "naughty vegan" recipes that are easy to make, coz I'm a crap cook lol! So if anyone's got any more, let me know! Much love

pusskins
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Oh my, Cherry...*droooooooool* That is something I hadn't realised I missed. An' now I really crave some! That's next on my baking experiment list! Nom nom nom :p

Cherry
Oct 14th, 2008, 09:50 PM
:) I ate it all. Oops. That was probably my sugar allowance for the next 3 months.

Which type of pure did you use?

Yellow. Or was it green? It definitely wasn't blue.

flying plum
Oct 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM
I'm sure that I've tried heating soyatoo before with disasterous results. It separated out and went yucky.

i've had similar problems trying to make the ganache icing in VWAV. wasted sooooo much chocolate, i gave up in the end.

amanda

AliBlack
Oct 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Cherry, please could I/we have the full recipe for this? It looks divine:D

Cherry
Oct 20th, 2008, 10:57 PM
:) Recipe almost pefected! Just need one more trial I think.

Stu
Oct 20th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Chesney, the one you brought down at the weekend was just superduper. You and your cooking skills rock.

Cherry
Oct 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
:) Aw. Thanks. The next one will be better though.

Gorilla
Oct 20th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Chesney, the one you brought down at the weekend was just superduper. You and your cooking skills rock.

:eek: why was i not informed?!!!

bryzee86
Oct 21st, 2008, 12:00 AM
:eek: why was i not informed?!!!

My sentiments exactly!

P.S. I need recipe if gonna be denied ready-made ones!