PDA

View Full Version : Mad Cow, Bird/Swine Flu, Foot and Mouth, E.coli, Salmonella, Ebola, Marburg...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RedWellies
Aug 9th, 2007, 08:06 AM
I'm sure you're right. See here (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2312) for a thread on the topic.

Gorilla
Aug 9th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Do you think that this infection has caused people to curb or reduce their meat-eating?

IMO it hasn't which is very sad.

indeed, most people will continue to stick their heads in the sand and carry on just as before. one can only hope some people will have had their views changed though.

Anyway you'll be pleased to know the transport and export of animals relaxes from midnight and everything can return to normal for now...
if you think any of us would be pleased about this you've completely missed the point.

harpy
Aug 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM
one can only hope some people will have had their views changed though.

Yes, I'm sure it can't be only us that notice the irony when farmers being interviewed shed crocodile tears over their lambs etc, all because they're going to be culled instead of slaughtered for food.

Also the ridiculous panic about the shops that won't have any meat to sell...though of course if everyone started eating our beans etc instead then I would be panicking as well ;)

BlackCats
Aug 9th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I think most people don't find it ironic, they probably think it's a shame that the farmers livelihood has been ruined.:mad: I think some people actually think farmers look after "their" animals and are upset when they are ill because they care about their welfare (not that sick animals means less profit for them.)

I'm so sick of farmers being on news complaining about all the problems they have and how they don't have enough money. Why don't they go and do another job? Morons!:mad:

The_Lincoln_Imp
Aug 9th, 2007, 11:47 AM
if you think any of us would be pleased about this you've completely missed the point.

Where does a hope for quick and secure containment of "the foot and mouth crisis" begin and a return to normal animal industry business end?

The_Lincoln_Imp
Aug 9th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Why don't they go and do another job? Morons!:mad:

Yeah assuming its still fertile enough their land could be put to efficient use in growing crops.

harpy
Aug 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I seem to remember that at the last foot and mouth outbreak various vegetarian organisations reported an upsurge in enquiries. It's likely that a lot of the enquirers were concerned about their own health, but still...

from
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/statveg.html

NOP Poll for the National Consumer Council, 30 March - 1 April 2001
Poll of 1001 adults
With the foot & mouth outbreak in mind, have you changed or are you considering changing your eating habits? Yes - 23%
If so, in what way have you or would you change your eating habits? Stop eating meat - 29%, Stop eating red meat - 35%

ETA: Animal culls 'spark veggie surge' (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1246817.stm)

eco
Aug 10th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I saw a news report last night and a farmer was in tears about his cows saying that the cull on his farm was done quickly and humanely, the next piece of film showed cows going to the abattoir now that the animal movement ban has relaxed outside the restricted area. I can only assume that farmers don't visit abattoirs or they'd spend their lives in tears. I find the attitude of these 'sensitive' farmers very strange.

MarkAnthony
Aug 12th, 2007, 05:26 PM
The hypocrisy of farmers towards their livestock is something that really grinds my gears. They claim on the one hand that they love them like their family (their pets, you might more accurately say), but don't bat an eyelid when it comes to slaughtering them. To me it shows they have absolutely no 'love' for their animals, except in what they're worth to them financially.

http://thekratsite.com/images2/rants/grindsmygears3.jpg

SonOfSylvanus
Aug 12th, 2007, 05:57 PM
As many people have said: the hypocrisy is in equal measures astounding and funny.

Purple
Aug 14th, 2007, 10:23 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6945353.stm

One elderly lady dead, and a few people remain very ill.

Poor woman :(

aubergine
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Very sad.

Frank
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Amazing....

They announce that the F&M crisis is over and then in the next mouthful they state - oh - it's back on again.

horselesspaul
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Wrong kind of snow probably, Frank.
I blame the cows.

Frank
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Makes you wonder just what they do in those research laboratories by messing about with various diseases.

Britain seems to get what's going or to start things off.

I wonder why? :confused::mad:

The last F & M major outbreak cost the UK £8.5Bln.

We could have built a whole country of vegan organic farms with that lot.....

(*At this juncture - enter ''Cows With Guns''*)

gertvegan
Oct 21st, 2007, 11:44 AM
October 12, 2007

The daughter of a close friend of John Gummer, who famously tried to feed his own child a burger to prove that beef was safe, has died from the human form of mad cow disease.

Read more here. (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article2641749.ece)

horselesspaul
Oct 21st, 2007, 02:53 PM
How horrible for her and her family.

Gummer's capitulation to the Tory publicity machine's shameful and laughable attempt to reduce public concern about B.S.E through its mouthpiece tabloids always seemed to prove his spinelessness rather than his stupidity imo.

Mahk
Feb 18th, 2008, 06:16 PM
http://finance.comcast.net/www/news.html?x=http://www.comcast.net/data/news/2008/02/18/890191.xml

When will meat eaters wake up from their fantasy that the videoed abuse isn't happening all over the world and every single day. Their response is to have a meat recall, even though the majority of the meat made the day of the video has already been eaten. What idiots.

eoIxBsO3iQI

Piticli
Feb 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM
I have seen it on the news today too here in spain. I was eating and my sister was seeing the tv and said she won't eat meat again, but, always the same, maybe she won't eat meat but she wear leather shoes. Now is my moment, i going to lend her a small vegan treatise.
But like you say, it's happening all days in all slaughterhouses and farms in all the world. I only want this fucking company of death lost a lot of money, close and all the fuckers workers and their famylies have to beg in the street!

RubyDuby
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM
:(

veggiemaya
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:22 PM
ugh! it never fails..every time i see something like that i know it is going to get me upset, but i have to watch. those poor cows!! i think that meat eaters should see a lot more videos like this one. they should see just what they are really eating..and what happens to those poor defenseless animals because of it. just that shot of all that ground beef coming out of that big machine...eeww!! i just dont see how anyone in their right mind would even consider eating that!!!! :(:mad:

Piticli
Feb 18th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I think meat eaters haven't got heart, i'm sure totally. They haven't feelings. It's not posibble they don't feel anything seeing videos like this!! And the worst, they many times speak about meat like something funny and grateful.

snivelingchild
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah, I'm watching the news right now, and they said how the school systems in my home town got like 300,000 lbs. of the 'tainted' beef (what beef isn't tainted?) BUT set it aside before it was used, so no worry!! :rolleyes:

So utterly stupid. Then there was a woman saying that the system is so messed up to allow sick animals to slaughter. NO, the problem is that you're stupid enough to slaughter and eat animals, PLUS treat those animals poorly (or feed them shit) so they get sick beforehand.

JC
Feb 18th, 2008, 11:56 PM
i know this sounds harsh, but if someone gets sick from eating meat then haha serves them right!!! grr, as if it's not bad enough they eat them in the first place, they complain that these animals they're slaughtering aren't good enough for them - how dare they!

veggiemaya
Feb 19th, 2008, 01:33 AM
well, its a matter of the scumbags in the meat industry along with the scumbags from the USDA who are basically "in bed together", for a lack of better terms. they aren't going to come down too tough on regulations for an industry that they themselves are profiting from. so they turn the other way and just ignore it. they actually have made it legal for a certain amount of downed cattle meat to get mixed in with the so called "human grade" meat. what is that?! i just can't even fathom what kind of twisted minds came up with the concept of feeding cows other dead cows or any other animal anyway...cows are herbivores. They`re designed to eat plants...grass, hay, vegetables. ya know, just like us humans. but...why buy the hay, when you can get the diseased cow for free?
:mad: