PDA

View Full Version : Mad Cow, Bird/Swine Flu, Foot and Mouth, E.coli, Salmonella, Ebola, Marburg...

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24]

BlackCats
Oct 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
^ Aww thanks.:) I just got my husband to call back up and apparently there is a collection point about 15 minutes away from where I live! The other man on the phone earlier just gave me the wrong information.:rollseyes_ani: I hope you don't get it Ms Derious although to be honest it wasn't terrible for me but it's different for different people anyway.

I will get the Tamiflu this time and just keep it in case I get flu again and might need it if it's worse next time.

harpy
Oct 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Get well soon BC. I didn't realise that, about not getting offered Tamiflu a second time - wonder why not?

BlackCats
Oct 16th, 2009, 11:54 AM
^ Thanks Harpy. This was the same man that gave me the wrong information about the collection points so he might have got that info wrong too? Maybe you can only take Tamiflu once a year?:confused:

helen105281
Oct 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Hope you feel better soon Blackcats.

harpy
Oct 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Yes, I can see they wouldn't want to keep dishing it out to the same people, but it seems odd that if you don't accept it the first time it's offered they won't offer it a second time, if that's what you/he meant :confused: However as you say he doesn't seem the most reliable source.

I looked it up here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/QA.aspx#whatisthenational but it just says that if you've already taken it you can't take it again.

Are you going to take it or just keep it on hand in case, like my friend in NZ who says she's carrying it around in her handbag? :D

BlackCats
Oct 16th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks Helen.

I went to my GP Monday and Tuesday this week so I assume I must have caught it from someone there. I have only been ill since Wednesday afternoon so I must have had it very mildly. I know someone that was ill with it for over a fortnight. Another symptom was that I couldn't breathe properly when I was lying down so I had to have about three pillows.

Are you going to take it or just keep it on hand in case, like my friend in NZ who says she's carrying it around in her handbag? :D

Haha.;) I'm just going to keep it in case I get it more severely this winter.

veganwitch
Oct 16th, 2009, 05:41 PM
^of course i just saw this :rolleyes:
It's great BC that you seem to be able to fight off the swine flu on your own. I think it's a bright idea to hold onto the Tamiflu in case you need it another time. Not being able to breathe properly must have been worrisome. Was it just b/c of congestion? Btw, I always sleep w/ 3 pillows.

BlackCats
Oct 16th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Not being able to breathe properly must have been worrisome. Was it just b/c of congestion? Btw, I always sleep w/ 3 pillows.

It was because my nose was so blocked up and so I was trying to breathe through my mouth but that made me cough more. :rollseyes_ani: I am still a bit short of breath now. I think it must be quite a nasty illness if you have it severely. I only threw up once though and I just felt queasy a few times and I thought swine flu would mean constant vomiting but obviously not.

cobweb
Oct 16th, 2009, 06:34 PM
me and my hubby are ill again :rollseyes_ani:

this time we have raging sore dry throats, sore ears with twinges of pain, a dry cough and feeling sick.
whatever it is it is friggin annoying :satisfied:

veganwitch
Oct 16th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Oh no, cobby. I hope it's not the flu. That's really lousy when you are both sick at the same time.

cobweb
Oct 16th, 2009, 06:47 PM
thanks, we thought we had it earlier this year, this is a similar thing again, its very aggravating.

BC are you feeling better now?.

BTW i think we must have a problem with the swine flu round here now as the volunteers association have be advertising for 'flu friends' in the local paper this and last week.

BlackCats
Oct 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM
^ I feel a lot better now but I still have a cough, sore left ear, dry throat and diarrhea still.:pissed: Today I'm blowing my nose every hour instead of every 15 minutes like yesterday.:rollseyes_ani:

I don't have muscle pains, queasiness, headache and fever like I did the last two days. (I had thought I had a cold mixed with a hangover.:o:D)

Tallulah
Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.hsus.org/farm/news/ournews/swine_flu_virus_origin_1998_042909.html

Johnstuff
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Thansk for the link!

I wonder if we can sue (don't know how you spell that) these governments for putting our health at risk by allowing these 'farming' practices?

They seem so stupid to me...I bet they haven't stopped the dangerous farming practices yet. I bet they won't. They'll just give more antibiotics/drugs etc. to the farm animals.

Forever treating the symptoms, never the cause.

Tallulah
Nov 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
I wish we could sue! But how can we when the government refuses to do anything about the situation? It's just appalling. More antibiotics and shots for the animals, and more antibiotics and vaccines for us as these viruses continue to mutate...gosh. If the demand for meat didn't exist, how much healthier, happier, and safer would we humans and animals be?? :-(

cobweb
Nov 16th, 2009, 04:07 PM
after a couple of false alarms which were non-descript 'viruses' we have now officially been blessed with Swine 'Flu in our family :rollseyes_ani:.

My son's been off school since last Wednesday and he's been hit the hardest by it, unfortunately :(.

The doctor rang today and told me to expect to feel crappy for a fortnight. Nice :hmm:.

veganatheist78
Nov 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
I realised yesterday that my cold might be swine flu and so I called up today and I have been authorised to get Tamiflu. I wasn't going to get it but the guy on the phone said that if I got swine flu again I wouldn't get it offered to me again so I took the code he gave me.

It isn't actually possible to get swine flu again once you've had it. Your body develops an immunity to it as a result of the original infection.

cobweb
Nov 23rd, 2009, 08:35 AM
my son is still off school with it :rolleyes:.
we got up early this morning as he really wanted to go back, but he's still as white as a sheet and coughing so i told him he has to wait. Pointless rushing it, he'll only feel ill again.
I thought i'd got off lightly but i feel quite bad again today and this cough is annoying! :mad:.

BlackCats
Nov 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
^ That is how I felt CW. I felt like it was quite mild at first but it dragged on. I hope you and your family recover soon.

It isn't actually possible to get swine flu again once you've had it. Your body develops an immunity to it as a result of the original infection.

I read that you can get a different strain if it mutates, just like normal flu.

Is it possible to catch swine flu twice? (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/3092.aspx?CategoryID=5&SubCategoryID=205)

cobweb
Nov 25th, 2009, 05:27 PM
thanks BC, i was wondering where you'd got to lately! :D

i'd swear we've had it twice with slight differences between the two.
My husband still feels sick all the time, did you have that, BC? :confused:.

I'm feeling better today though it always gets worse at night :rolleyes:.

BlackCats
Nov 25th, 2009, 09:44 PM
My husband still feels sick all the time, did you have that, BC? :confused:.

I'm feeling better today though it always gets worse at night :rolleyes:.

The stomach troubles were quite bad and lasted ages.:pissed: The GP I saw later on said there was nothing to be done about that, you just have to let it run it's course.:rollseyes_ani: I just drank lots of water.

Yes. I felt it more difficult to breathe lying down and that is one of the SF symptoms.

cobweb
Nov 26th, 2009, 07:52 AM
yes it friggin annoying isn't, i feel like i'm choking when i lie down, its quite frightening.