PDA

View Full Version : Marshmallows

harpy
Oct 1st, 2007, 09:23 AM
I feel sure this must have been asked before but I can't find it: are there any other vegan marshmallows available in the UK apart from those ones from veganstore? The person who was asking thinks they are a bit expensive particularly inc the P&P as that's all she wants to buy.

I think I know the answer but wanted to double-check.

Thanks -

cedarblue
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:41 AM
i've never seen any others - they are pretty pricey :(

also - they're not that brilliant - i wouldn't buy them again [processed toot]
i bought some at the london vegan fest.

harpy
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks Cedar. The only vegan marshmallow I ever had (a different brand I think, from America) was pretty disgusting but then I always hated marshmallows anyway!

I've suggested she tries making her own using one of the many marshmallow recipes on the web but using agar instead of gelatine. Don't suppose anyone's tried that?

xrodolfox
Oct 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
I just had vegan marshmellows yesterday at a Ho-down!
Yes, I went to a ho-down barn dance with my kids. They had a bonfire, and while everyone else had cheap-o marshmellows, we had the fancy vegan ones. They toasted well, and tasted excellent.

We got them online, from the veganstore? I think? Basically we got them online for like $8 a pack. They were worth every penny.

twinkle
Oct 1st, 2007, 01:05 PM
I've suggested she tries making her own using one of the many marshmallow recipes on the web but using agar instead of gelatine. Don't suppose anyone's tried that?

There's a specifically vegan marshmallow recipe in La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer. I haven't tried it yet though. I seem to remember it involves a lot of beating :)

harpy
Oct 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks Twinkle - I haven't got that one, but I've found one or two vegan marshmallow recipes on line, some accompanied by complaints that they don't really work :D

Rodolfo - I'll pass on the recommendation and perhaps she'll feel happier buying them.