PDA

View Full Version : Seeking vegan cookbooks light on soy products

ksnake34
Oct 5th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Greetings Everyone,

I've noticed that many of the vegan cookbooks out there rely fairly heavily on soy products for their main dishes. I am looking for a book (or two) that focuses more on other beans, nuts and high-protein grains. I would definitely be interested in a good cookbook devoted primarily to beans. If you know of good resources, would you be willing to post them to the forum?

Thanks!

Lori

Mr Flibble
Oct 5th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I tend not to buy vegan cookbooks these days in general. When I did (upto about 5 years ago) I'd say probably 80% of those I encountered either contained no soy recipes or only had a few. I'd bought at least 10 books by the time I encountered my first with proper (as opposed to just slinging a bit of tofu with a few other ingredients) book about tofu/seiten. Thus I'd suggest seeking out older books if the trend is now for soy.

angelamc
Oct 5th, 2007, 09:00 AM
You should try The Vegan Gourmet by Susan Geiskopf-Hadler and Mindy Toomay. It is mostly a beans and vegetables cookbook, although it does contain a few tofu recipes. My copy is the 2nd edition and has over 120 recipes. I have only tried a few of the recipes but what I had was pretty tasty!:)

pavotrouge
Oct 5th, 2007, 02:32 PM
"Vegan Planet" and "Quick-fix Vegetarian" both have a lot of nice, soyfree recipes, as well as Linda Majzlik's "A vegan taste of..." series.

dreamqueen
Oct 5th, 2007, 04:54 PM
"The Vegan Mediterranean Kitchen" has no soy at all - only beans, nuts, etc.

Windfall
Oct 6th, 2007, 05:23 PM
My favourite cookbooks is "vegan vittles" by Joanne Stepaniak.

Its one of the few books ive had since i first became vegan years ago, and still use it every week without fail!

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 24th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Vegetarian Burgers by Bharti Kirchner has a lot of recipes for bean, grain & nut burgers. most include eggs as a binding agent but it's simple to replace them with enerG egg replacer.

pavotrouge
Dec 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM
"Alternative Vegan" by Dino Sarma seems to be soy-free from what I've seen so far. It avoides meat analogues and vegan convenience foods in general.

WolfRain
Dec 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I'd recommend "A Vegan Taste of North Africa". I love that book, and it is part of a series so you can find a taste for your own liking.

WolfRain:)

kaitlin
Jul 2nd, 2009, 03:25 AM
I second Alternative Vegan. The author wrote it specifically b/c he was irritated by all of the cookbooks that rely on soy.