PDA

View Full Version : What vegan food could you never give up?

Pages : [1] 2

Mystic
Oct 5th, 2007, 08:51 PM
And I don't necessarily mean a cheese replacement brand like tofutti or cheezly. We all know that vegetarians and omnivores say that they can't give up cheese - what vegan food could you never give up?

Mine is avocado. When I make burritos or sandwiches, I will use as much avocado that will fit - and if that is the whole avocado, then I like it even more :D I eat a total of about 7 whole avocados a week. I am totally addicted and if I ever became allergic, I think I would die!!!! :D:D:D

pavotrouge
Oct 5th, 2007, 08:53 PM
my "cheese" would be tomatoes and pasta.
as the italian proverb says, a day without pasta is a lost one!

BlackCats
Oct 5th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Stickydate - I thought your food would be dates.:p

Mine would be bread.

Digital Ghost
Oct 5th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Raspberries..............
cant give them up and if I'm in a country where its hard to get fresh ones I get frozen.

:eek::o:rolleyes:

missbettie
Oct 5th, 2007, 09:28 PM
veganasie, it is emabarressing how much I like it and use it. the funny thing is I never like regular mayonaise. I go through almost a jar a week...:o

sandra
Oct 5th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Chips! :)

sugarmouse
Oct 5th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I love chips too, but mine would probably be soup,,,all kinds! Sorry I know thats kind of a cheat!

Windfall
Oct 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Coffee - i dont know if that counts?

otherwise, chips with salt and vinegar!

twinkle
Oct 6th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Goes through phases. At the moment it's plain soya yoghurt, I add it to loads of things, especially for thickening stews, soups and curries and as part of salad dressings.

A while back it was hummous, and at some points it's been barbecue sauce :)

dreamqueen
Oct 6th, 2007, 01:27 AM
mmm, there are so many things i couldn't give up but these are at the top of the list:

avocados
black beans
tempeh
dark chocolate

RubyDuby
Oct 6th, 2007, 01:33 AM
earth balance

xrodolfox
Oct 6th, 2007, 03:41 AM
my "cheese" would be tomatoes and pasta.
as the italian proverb says, a day without pasta is a lost one!

You and I have the same taste.

I couldn't go far without pasta. And Tomatos.

I think that artichokes and avocados might be up there too.

Spud Addict
Oct 6th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I can't decide between potatoes and bread.

Can I have two? :D

piggy
Oct 6th, 2007, 09:10 AM
(olive) oil

Mr Flibble
Oct 6th, 2007, 11:39 AM
I was able to become vegan because I didn't find it a massive challenge to give anything that I loved eating up. I hate the idea of being addicted to anything and I find the very notion of claiming to be addicted to something that isn't addictive really quite feeble.

There's loads of vegan foods that I'd be sorry to see the end of (like wheat), but if I had to for either ethical or medical reasons I would. My current reason for being overweight isn't that I have no will power to stop eating the things that I really like (i've hardly had any cake in months), it's that I've gotten used to eating too much healthy food and don't feel full unless I continue to do so.

Cherry
Oct 6th, 2007, 12:38 PM
(i've hardly had any cake in months), .

Aw, poor Mr Flibble ;)

I would hate to give up salad - lettuce and green leafy things like rocket and spinach.

harpy
Oct 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Yes, it probably isn't a good idea to rely too much on any one food, but I suspect the people in this thread aren't claiming to be literally addicted to anything, they just like them a lot.

I'm a bit "addicted" to crunchy textures so it's a matter of trying to persuade myself to get that from celery, apples and stuff rather than cr*sps etc. Those Clearspring rice crackers are handy but I could (probably) live without them.

Zan
Oct 6th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I think mine would be mushrooms. Not that they are a particular favourite of mine really, but I seem to be incapable of cooking anything without them in it:D

Except curries---I hate mushrooms in curries.

pavotrouge
Oct 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I love mushrooms in curries!

so you do things like... mushroom cake, mushroom pudding and mushroom bread?

Zan
Oct 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
:D no.........but then I rarely cook cakes, puddings and bread. Don't think I fancy mushrooms in them though.

pavotrouge
Oct 6th, 2007, 03:09 PM
mmmmh... mushroom yoghurt :p

twinkle
Oct 6th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Now I really fancy a mushroom muffin!

No, I actually seriously do. I made some carrot and coriander muffins once which were brilliant - I reckon a garlic, mushroom and chive muffin or something would be really tasty :)

BlackCats
Oct 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Ewww!:D
I do like crepes/pancakes with mushrooms though.

pavotrouge
Oct 6th, 2007, 03:40 PM
mushroom chocolate.... eeewww...
(actually, I saw some shiitake chocolate in an organic store the other day!)

fondducoeur
Oct 6th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Stir frys...I go in phases as to how I like them, but tofu, veggies, and nuts with soy sauce and whatever other sauce I have on hand all over rice is probably my favorite meal that I make once a week. Yum!