PDA

View Full Version : How long can you keep it?

crimson~noir
Oct 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I have looked through the board but sorry if I have missed this answer:o.

I live alone so I have found the best thing to do is cook big meals, freeze portions to save on money and time. But what can I do with left over coked tofu? I have found some nice looking tofu recipies (tofu cooking virgin :p) and am raring to go but they all serve more than one - can I store cooked tofu scramble in the fridge for a few days, will cooked tofu freeze? Or would it be best to cook a one meal portion store the left over in water and cook another meal the following night? Also can it be re heated?

harpy
Oct 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM
You can freeze "raw" tofu - it changes the texture though because the water sort of separates from it. Not sure how freezing tofu in a prepared dish would work but there's one way to find out :D

I don't think I've heard of any particular tofu-related illnesses but I tend to avoid keeping any prepared food in the fridge for more than a day or so, just in case.

ETA as long as the tofu's not past its use-by date I believe you can keep it in water in the fridge, but that you should change the water at least daily.

crimson~noir
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Not sure how freezing tofu in a prepared dish would work but there's one way to find out :D

Yeah I am thinking just cook it and see, I just hate wasting food have been trying a few things out that I had to throw away as they tasted nasty(fake chicken - ew )

harpy
Oct 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I suspect the worst that would happen is that the tofu might go a bit chewy...Please let us know how you get on.

crimson~noir
Oct 16th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Well I made a stir fry and ate the second half the following day and it tasted fine (and I did not get sick:D). Tofu is my new obsession it was so nice!! Making it again this evening this time a larger serving hoping it keeps again!

harpy
Oct 17th, 2007, 01:10 AM
That's good. I'm sure there shouldn't be any problem just keeping it overnight, esp. if you take usual precautions such as cooling the remains quickly and sticking it in the fridge (must admit I don't always do this unless it's hot weather, or rice is involved, but it seems like a good idea :o )

crimson~noir
Oct 19th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Hee hee no I always put food in the fridge I worry too much about food going off / making me sick. I kept the second one in the fridge for 3 days and it was fine :D.

flying plum
Oct 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM
on the back of the packet, it always says to keep tofu no longer than three days once opened. in my personal experience, when i forget to change the water, after a week or so, it starts to taste a bit funky. no idea whether it would do you any harm to eat it...suspect it could be a bacteria magnet though.

when i've changed the water, it's usually been ok for five days or so...if i rmemeber about it enough to change the water, i usually eat it, so haven't really left it longer than that. only gets left longer when i forget about it! maybe i'll try to change the water everyday and just see how long some lasts....

as far as cooked tofu, i've made big meals and kept them in the fridge and reheated before the next evening with no ill effects. never tried freezing tofu in any capacity though.

amanda

crimson~noir
Oct 19th, 2007, 04:27 PM
on the back of the packet, it always says to keep tofu no longer than three days once opened.

Omg really *blush* man I feel like an idiot I swear I read the back :D Thank you. Well that answer that then. I shall make a 3 portion meal and freeze any left over tofu w/o cooking.

harpy
Oct 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I have a feeling that oriental supermarkets sometimes keep "loose" tofu in water for a while (with regular water changes), but I'm not recommending it :eek: I suppose having been in a packet for a while first could affect its life expectancy, anyway.

elisiabattell
Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:12 AM
Mine says in super small print on the front of the package, I missed it the first few times.

Considering the ingredients? You don't really have to go by it. It can be frozen for a while, and defrosted like normal things. 3 days is usually the tofu limit, and when in water even longer. But I usually don't go by this. It's the same a week later. :]

It is good to follow the package though. I just hadn't read it the first few times I used it.