PDA

View Full Version : More-ish food

Pages : [1] 2

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2004, 12:44 AM
What food can you not stop eating once you start - for me (as most of you know) it is medjool dates. They get so sickly but I cannot help myself and give myself a belly ache!

foxytina_69
Nov 8th, 2004, 01:07 AM
ugh lol. we all know i have a problem with fries :| sumtimes chips (today especially), and anything good. vegan grilled cheese sandwiches, waffles with syrup, icetea, pasta, smoothies.... cant think of anything else :D

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2004, 01:21 AM
I have a friend who has a problem with bread - just plain bread!!!

Hasha
Nov 8th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Granny Smiths. I'm addicted. :D

Roxy
Nov 8th, 2004, 05:17 AM
I wish I could be addicted to dates and apples......it would be a lot healthier for me. :o

At the moment, I have a real problem with dried pita breads and vege pate. It tastes so good that one piece, turns into 2 and then 3 and then I have to put it away before I start eating the rest of it.

I'm finding myself addicted to the Happy Planet juices and smoothies too. This is probably good, health-wise as they are full of nutrition, organic ingredients, including organic fair-trade bananas. However they are expensive and that's not healthy on my purse! :rolleyes:

eve
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Have any of you read Neal Barnard on food addictions? :)

Roxy
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:28 AM
I haven't.

PinkFluffyCloud
Nov 8th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Biscuits -if I open a packet, they're gone.

Mystic
Nov 8th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Have any of you read Neal Barnard on food addictions? :)

No - what does it say?

eve
Nov 11th, 2004, 07:18 AM
It's a great book, called 'Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings - and 7 Steps to End Them Naturally' (St. Martin's Press). Dr Barnard explains exactly why some foods are addictive, and how to overcome the addictions. When I read the book, and he showed how cheese is so addictive, I recalled when I was a veggie, and how I seemed incapable of stopping my cheese-eating! Fortunately I have no addictions nowadays, but strongly recommend the book to anyone who does. :)

foxytina_69
Nov 11th, 2004, 07:20 AM
thanx for the reccomendation eve :D

paradoxsund
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:11 PM
CHOCOLATEEEEEEEEEE AHHHH

Also dates and turkish apricots.....and soy ice cream!!! and nuts!

Fruitbat
Nov 11th, 2004, 02:38 PM
I have a friend who has a problem with bread - just plain bread!!!

Yeah I can sympathise with that - seedy breads, corn breads, nutty breads... YUM

I once ate 500g of dried apricots and HELLO the stomahc ache OUCH!

I can also sympathise with the apple thing - I can just sit and eat bags on end of apples

Oh - porridge and jam, Jordan crunch cereal, and muesli are VERY more-ish

However if I am in a more-ish mood it is generally for unhealthy sweet things like soy ice cream, soya milk, soya yoghurts, biscuits (dipped in soy cocoa often), flapjakcs or vegan fudge.

Mystic
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:21 AM
When I read the book, and he showed how cheese is so addictive, I recalled when I was a veggie, and how I seemed incapable of stopping my cheese-eating! Fortunately I have no addictions nowadays, but strongly recommend the book to anyone who does. :)

Eve, how would you distinguish between an addiction and just really liking something? I know I joke that I am addicted to dates, but now I am wondering if I actually am :) !!!!

Artichoke47
Nov 12th, 2004, 12:28 AM
I had four dates tonight...er...the food! ;)

Hehe.

eve
Nov 12th, 2004, 07:05 AM
I don't know the scientific difference, but I guess if you can't get through a day or so without your fave food, such as cheese or chocs, you may well be addicted! But I'm no expert, only going on my own experience in the past. :D

Fruitbat
Nov 12th, 2004, 10:22 PM
That makes me addicted to apples!

Mystic
Nov 13th, 2004, 04:34 AM
I had four dates tonight...er...the food! ;)

Hehe.

I just ate 4 medjool dates now - big gooey sickly sweet delicious medjool dates!!!!

eve
Nov 13th, 2004, 05:56 AM
In the 1970s while in Thailand, I did two specific meditations, lasting a few weeks, one on 'The Loathsomeness of Food'. It was really and truly awesome, and I've always been thankful to have done that. The other meditation was on 'The Loathsomeness of the Body'. I can't go into the details for either of those meditations, because they have to be experienced, but it's something I've never forgotten. This thread reminds me. :cool:

Mystic
Feb 16th, 2005, 04:48 AM
At the moment, my thing is figs.

snaffler
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Smoked Tofu
Alpro Choc Soya Shake (the fresh ones from the fridge they sale in most shops)

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Smoked Tofu
Alpro Choc Soya Shake (the fresh ones from the fridge they sale in most shops)

Mmmm, I love that stuff! :)

8 winks
Feb 16th, 2005, 10:31 AM
i would say food in general.
once i take a bite i'm gonna eat till i'm ill, unless it's veggies or fruits.
but then i have a problem

specifics for me are chocolate, and yup breads...if i have some i'm gonna stuff myself, and currently peanuts.. horrible tasty cruchy peanuts just daring me to try to eat just a few. i sit there on the floor eating them telling myself okay i will have five more then be done then i have those five and don't stop and start freaking out and cracking them at an alarming rate getting shells and bits all over the floor and myself not even enjoying them but unable to stop untill i realize i must have had about 100 of the little fuckers then i go eat an apple and some grapes but thtis not enough so i have a peice of bread then another and then three bowls of cereal till i feel so il i can no longer swallow then lay down disgusted almost in tears and fall asleep. this is my life.

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM
:eek: 8 winks, you are so like me! Do you think it's really connected to our shared illness (Bi-Polar Depression)???????????????? :(

Look after yourself, eat well (good foods), and exercise, it is working for me! Good Luck! ;)

Cloudy
Feb 16th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Clearspring black & white sesame rice cakes, can't get enough of those fellas when I start!