PDA

View Full Version : Vegan products and health

flying plum
Oct 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
ok, so i've been watching 'How Toxic Are You' (see here for those not in the UK/familiar with it: http://www.channel4.com/health/microsites/T/toxic/) and i've realised that a lot of my products contain things that perhaps are not great for me (given a good pinch of salt for a little scaremongering).

however, i've also realised in my research for alternatives that many 'natural' products contain non-vegan ingredients, particularly beeswax seems to be the main stumbling block.

so, although i can replace my original source stuff fairly easily etc etc, things like make-up might be harder, as i have read that synthetic beeswax is associated with 'other' health concerns.

what i wonder is, how paranoid is the programme? there was a lot of focus on the 'long and unpronouncable names' on the back of products, but many of those things are just scientific names for natural ingredients - for instance limonene and linalool. also, they comment that 'it is all about the concentration', but then seem to gloss over that fact when just referring to the components. lots of things are bad for you in large concentrations - even nutmeg.

amanda

foxytina_69
Oct 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM
i would do further research on these ingredients and then come to my own conclusion about what i felt comfortable with and what i didnt feel comfortable with. a lot of these programs are made to be alarming and are exaggerated a lot.

!!
Oct 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM
i did feel the programme was after the 'shock' factor, but it has made me think a bit more though, and i'm starting to try different deoderents now :) so that's only a good thing!

i would have a look around at various studies and see what you can find?

mjnewbould
Oct 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
maybe its my prejudice but I think programs such as that one are ill-reserached and contain much pseudo-science! Very harmful in fact beacuse they only present half the story. What they call "chemicals" are often natural. We are made up of chemicals if you want to call them that.

Lazuli
Nov 16th, 2007, 08:32 PM
The key is go with natural foods (organic) with no additives. Then choose a wide variety within this paradigm. I prefer raw living foods with enzymes intact and no toxins introduced with cooking. Kind of like animals do it in the wild. ;-)