PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

missbettie
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:37 PM
eh, taste is too subjective to make such a sweeping statement.

very very true. I just feel blessed to live in an area that has a vegan restaurant and TONS of mexican restaurants.

ALexiconofLove
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:43 AM
no you're right pavotrouge...we do :)

Yup. :D

Roxy
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:03 AM
portabello mushroom salad

With raw or cooked mushies?

missbettie
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM
cooked! and still warm! its very yummy.

Magenta
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:31 PM
The lasagne is utterly delicous. I made some of the baked goods, too, and those all turned out well. (except for the banana bread, but I didn't completely follow the directions and messed up, I guess)
I thought the cornmeal crusted brussels sprouts (with the spicy yogurt sauce) were incredibly tasty as well!

So yeah - so far I don't think there was anything that I really didn't like. Still have a lot of things to try, though!

RubyDuby
Mar 1st, 2008, 12:45 AM
u tried it missbettie? that dressing is sooo good.

Roxy
Mar 1st, 2008, 05:08 AM
The lasagne is utterly delicous. I made some of the baked goods, too, and those all turned out well. (except for the banana bread, but I didn't completely follow the directions and messed up, I guess)
I thought the cornmeal crusted brussels sprouts (with the spicy yogurt sauce) were incredibly tasty as well!

So yeah - so far I don't think there was anything that I really didn't like. Still have a lot of things to try, though!

I never attempted a vegan lasagne in the 4 years that I've been vegan. And cornmeal crusted brussel sprouts.....gah.....just the thought gives me shivers :D

Magenta
Mar 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM
I never attempted a vegan lasagne in the 4 years that I've been vegan. And cornmeal crusted brussel sprouts.....gah.....just the thought gives me shivers :D

Oooh then there are some delicious things out there for you to try!
I really did love the brussels, and I'm normally not a huge fan of them either. well, maybe you wouldn't like them - but I've heard of a lot of people who didn't like brussels sprouts, tried one of the recipes from V'con and completely changed their minds! I didn't think they tasted much like regular boiled brussels, it was more of an indian-ish taste (with the garam masala) and the (soy-)yogurt sauce with it makes it such a yummy dish. So it's worth trying, really! Unless you're not into any of that, well... then you could at least try a lasagne ;)
I loved the marinara/spinach lasagne from Veganomicon, I would just add a bit more marinara sauce next time.

auntierozzi
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I recommend the Pumpkin Crumb Cake with Pecan Strudel (page 255).

Sometimes I make cakes and everybody says that they are a bit odd and I end up having to finish them up myself but unfortunately I hardly got a look in with this one. I'll just have to make it again!! I made it with fresh pumkin.

missbettie
Mar 17th, 2008, 07:47 PM
u tried it missbettie? that dressing is sooo good.

I know! I've made it probably 6 times since having the book which i havn't had very long mind you. I make the dressing often and use it on everything!! My boyfriend loves it!

Also we have a mushroom farm in our town so I can go any buy 1 pound of portabellas for 4 bucks. its kinda creepy to go there but well worth the savings.... yum!!

bryzee86
Mar 17th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I know! I've made it probably 6 times since having the book which i havn't had very long mind you. I make the dressing often and use it on everything!! My boyfriend loves it!

Also we have a mushroom farm in our town so I can go any buy 1 pound of portabellas for 4 bucks. its kinda creepy to go there but well worth the savings.... yum!!

Is there a man with no limbs picking up the mushrooms with his teeth and putting them into a bag made of human skin?

missbettie
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM
pretty much...and there is a shrine of virgin mary and its down a long scary dirt road, its straight out of a horror flick i'll tell ya!!

missbettie
Mar 24th, 2008, 06:02 PM
everyone must make the "mushroom and spinach stratta"! Oh...MY...GAWD!! oh so yummy!!

Maisiepaisie
Mar 31st, 2008, 11:04 AM
I was really impressed with the vegan cupcakes book by the same authors so I decided to buy a copy of this too. Was pleasantly surprised to find it on Abebooks (http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1041131619&searchurl=sortby%3D3%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dveganomicon% 26x%3D25%26y%3D8) for only £9.04 after checking Amazon to find they only have a used copy for £15.99

dreamqueen
Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:09 AM
I recently tried the Sweet Basil Pesto Tapenade (or something to that effect). I thought it was okay but I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

Penny
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I was really impressed with the vegan cupcakes book by the same authors so I decided to buy a copy of this too. Was pleasantly surprised to find it on Abebooks (http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1041131619&searchurl=sortby%3D3%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dveganomicon% 26x%3D25%26y%3D8) for only £9.04 after checking Amazon to find they only have a used copy for £15.99

Is this the UK version you've got? I'm still waiting for mine from amazon and I'm getting desperate!!!! It was supposed to be out a few days ago! And it still hasn't arrived! I want it now!

Penny (nails bitten down to quicks)

bryzee86
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
cancel your order, penny!! get it from here: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=156924264X

Penny
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
cancel your order, penny!! get it from here: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=156924264X

Done! Thanks, Bryzee! Not long to wait now, I hope!

Penny (fingers, with chewed nails, now crossed...)

bryzee86
Apr 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
yaaaaaay! I got the american one when I was in NY, for more than this (grr), so i'd be interested to see how this is different. Probably a less ameri-centric ingredients list, and more weighed measurements.

RubyDuby
Apr 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
had the chili chocolate mole sauce a few nights ago. It was good. I was disappointed cuz we get mole from a restaurant that I absolutely crave non-stop and this recipe couldn't hold a candle. Also was a pain to make.

pavotrouge
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm a bit scared of trying that one because I've never had mole (no Mexican food/restaurants over here)...

bryzee86
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
wtf is mole?

RubyDuby
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Food Lover's Companion: (http://www.answers.com/library/Food%20Lover's%20Companion-cid-2807494) mole

[MOH-lay] From the Nahuatl molli, meaning "concoction," mole is a rich, dark, reddish-brown sauce usually served with poultry. There are many variations of this spicy Mexicanspecialty, usually depending on what's in the cook's kitchen. Generally, mole is a smooth, cooked blend of onion, garlic, several varieties of chiles, ground seeds (such as sesame seeds or pumpkin seeds-known as pepitas) and a small amount of mexican chocolate, its best-known ingredient. (Some Americanized mole recipes use bitter chocolate.) The chocolate contributes richness to the sauce without adding overt sweetness.

RubyDuby
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
mmmm mole

ever in LA go here (http://www.cinnamonvegetarian.com/menu.html)!

dreamqueen
Apr 9th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I've never enjoyed mole, sadly - and the recipe in Isa's book didn't manage to convince me. :(