PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

kuro
May 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies RedVeg993 and pavotrouge! They were very helpful!

I probably did do a few things wrong in the Chickpea Cutlets recipe.. :o
I think I did add a little too much of the wheat gluten, because it got slightly compacted when I shook down the measuring jug, to level the stuff out.. Which would have made it more, I guess?
And also the kneading could have been too long, yeah.

I think I've put myself off trying that recipe again, but I made these steamed seitan sausage things yesterday and they came out pretty good! :D

- Kuro (yep, the Japanese for "black"!)

pavotrouge
May 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Kitteh, I think a bunch of people have already de-glutenified the recipe already, just google a while and you'll see.

missbettie
May 16th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I love the chewy texture of the cutlets...am i strange?

kuro
May 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Naah, most people seem too..
I must be the strange one! x]

missbettie
May 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
most people on here don't though!!! lol I think all of our taste buds are strange really. lol

dreamqueen
May 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM

If you're strange then so am I!

Kitteh
May 19th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Kitteh, I think a bunch of people have already de-glutenified the recipe already, just google a while and you'll see.

Oh that's great, thanks Pavotrouge! :)

The first thing I made from V'con is the Caramel Penuche Frosting. It was good, I think it grew on me, esp. when eaten on a cupcake (as opposed to licked off the spoon!) The molasses taste is v.strong, I'd like to try making it with maple syrup.

Aurore
May 20th, 2008, 06:28 PM
you should try the apple cupcakes, yum !! (although you can skip the frosting part, they're delicious without).

seeing the lonely coconut cream in the fridge, i also tried the icecream recipe and coconut-ified it, yum again !!

i usually judge a coobook by the number of recipes i've tried. i must say the veganomicon is by far my favorite.

pavotrouge
May 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
there are apple cupcakes in it?

man, I'm loosing control of my cookbook collection!

Poison Ivy
May 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
yup, if irc they're spiced, caramelised apple with the penuche frosting - and very nice they were too!:)

Aurore
May 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
yup, the caramel apple spice cupcakes, i'd kill for apple cupcakes :D (kidding, i'd only knock you off and run away with them ;) ).

Nikheil
May 21st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Pretty much everthing I've made from this book has been delicious! I also get so many ideas just from paging through it.

curried carrot dip = total awesomeness.

Other recipes I've tried with rating out of 5:

Autumn Latkes 5!
Creole Stuffed Peppers 3.5 ( but improved when I changed the recipe a bit)
Cashew Cucumber Dip 5! (Tastes like tzatziki!!!)
Rutabaga Puree 5
Curried Tofu 3.5 (a bit bland)
Smoky Grilled Tempeh 4 (only coz I don't really like tempeh!)
French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme 4
Smoky Red Peppers and Beans Gumbo 4
Chile-chocolate Mole 5!!!! (It's absolute heaven in a bowl!!!)
Lentils and Rice with Caremalized Onions - 5!! Make this as often as possible!!
Tomato and Roasted Eggplant Stew with Chickpeas 4
Pumpkin Saag 5!
Spaghetti and Beanballs 3.5 (yummy, but the beanballs totally fell apart :( )
Lost coconut custard pie 5!! (sun bursting through the clouds, angels singing)

veganliv135
May 22nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
ya it is quite labor intensive....
it has some great recipes though! I bought it at the local bookstore while I was visiting my huge family and made some of the recipes and it fed them all!!! so I understand what youre saying about the portion thing...
I guess left overs cant hurt anything!
I made the lemony potatoes and the chick pea cutlets last night and they were so-so. there was wayyy too much lemon juice in the potatoes and so they were quite tart and the cutlets were very chewy but good!
the one thing I like about the book is the side notes and also it tells you how long it takes to make it
cya!

ALexiconofLove
May 22nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Mmmm, love the lemony roasted potatoes.... Maybe just cut back on the lemon next time?

Poison Ivy
May 25th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Can someone with Veganomicon please pm me the recipe for the lemon bars....pretty, pretty please.:)

I have a hankering after the lemony goodness but my copy of the book is still packed away from all the building work and I can't find it:(

Poison Ivy
May 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM
No need now....searched and found it online! Yay!!:)

Kitteh
May 29th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Found a recipe for de-glutenised Chickpea Cutets: http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39458&p=2

I might try them this weekend

pigpad
May 29th, 2008, 01:52 PM
my copy of this book arrived yesterday from amazon. I am not sure what to cook first but think it will be something savoury as I cook far too much sweet stuff.

Kitteh
May 30th, 2008, 01:46 AM
I'm going to try making the aioli or hummus for a picnic on the weekend

fondducoeur
Jun 8th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I just made the seitanic jambalaya. I was impressed with how good it came out; I'm a fan of spicy foods.

Havoc
Jun 16th, 2008, 03:56 AM
I just bought this book, and I'm so excited to try out some new recipes! The moussaka with pine nut cream will be first on my list. I hope to make that this weekend. It looks to be a little labour-intensive, but it sounds like it'll be worth it.

wildcatstrike
Jun 17th, 2008, 01:30 PM
i got this a few weeks ago and haven't made anything yet! in fact, i hear what other people have said about it being a bit overwhelming, hehe.. i think the more recipes you can cram in the better, but it's defo blown me away a bit! i'm so NOT into meals that take 2 hours either so those ones are out for me.

also, i don't recognise alot of the ingredients or don't know where to find them, but i'm sure i'll get round to trying some recipes soon and will no doubt fall in love with them. Isa and Terry are awesome.

ALexiconofLove
Jun 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Mmmm, yes, the jambalaya is delish... though I don't remember thinking it was spicy.

vava
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Oh dear disappointment reigns.

I have been looking forward for ages to cooking some more stuff from this book. I made the jelly doughnut cupcakes today and the chickpea cutlets.

The chickpea cutlets were not particularly nice in the taste department and the texture was all wrong. I think this is probably because I used Seitan mix from the vegan online shop instead of vital wheat gluten. The texture was like pulse patties like lentil burgers etc so not happy with those - threw them in the bin after trying to drown them in tomato ketchup. Didn't get any strings of gluten when kneading so probably need to try again with the vital wheat gluten.

For the jelly doughnut cupcakes it says get the cheapest jam you can so i did just that only to find that as the rest of the cake is not flavoured apart from with nutmeg the bland jam makes the cakes virtually tasteless. :amazed_ani:

American doughnuts must be nutmeg flavour i suppose. :dizzy: Pity cos they look fabby.

sinarei
Jun 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I just got this book! I made the crepes for breakfast, drizzled them with lemon juice and filled them with blueberries and soy yogurt- OH MY, so good! Last week I bought some garbanzo flour that I was trying to find a use for, so it seemed like the perfect solution :). I actually have never had official "crepes" before, but I thought these turned out really good and my non-vegan family loved them (in fact, they hinted repeatedly until I agreed to make them again for lunch!). I am excited to try the recipe for some savory dishes too.