PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

lily80
Aug 14th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I haven't made nearly as many recipes from this as Vegan with a Vengence but there's a couple i've quite liked, the cranberry orange bread is yummy!

threeheadedpuppy
Aug 14th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I almost made the pineapple quinoa the other day - went out and bought two pinapples, and the juice, and all the bits, but in the end I didn't have the enthusiasm. I made a pineapple smoothie instead.

Aurore
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:30 PM
yum, pineapple smoothie ! try it next time, it's really easy and delicious. in my opinion, the recipe is just fine without the soy sauce.

threeheadedpuppy
Aug 14th, 2008, 11:56 PM
yum, pineapple smoothie ! try it next time, it's really easy and delicious. in my opinion, the recipe is just fine without the soy sauce.
The last time i tried using fruit in this kind of recipe, it was mango tofu (VWAV), and I used 3 mangoes in the process. After I'd finished I wished I had've just eaten the mangoes raw, as it seemed a bit of a waste of deliciously ripe fruit! My smoothie was one step away from a pina colada - it had loads of coconut cream in it.
I'll give the recipe a go one day, when i'm feeling more adventurous I think! cheers for the tip!

bryzee86
Aug 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I made the lower-fat banana bread last night, and it was fantastic!

Not heavy or rubbery, like most banana breads.

Delish.

RubyDuby
Aug 18th, 2008, 08:48 PM
has anybody tried the broccol potato soup?

my mom just had her tonsils out and can only have liquids. i was hoping thered be a creamy version to make but no luck. i think im going to just blend it really well.

Aurore
Aug 20th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Blend it really well, maybe toss in a few croutons, if they're really moist she might be able to swallow them.
Or try adding a little cornflour, i always do that for sauces, and it helps thickening them.

RubyDuby
Aug 20th, 2008, 07:01 PM
thanks!

I actually just made it. She couldnt eat anything but popcicles the past couple of days, but today is a little better.

I ended up leaving out the onion and garlic, only using 3 c broth + 3 c water, food processing everything and put in 1/2 a container of tofutti sour cream. It actually turned out pretty good. Oh yeah, and I added a leftover 1/2 can chickpeas.

I was expecting it to be bland, but I guess its supposed to be robust so wasnt bland or too strong with the changes.

she can hardly swallow. Had to drink it through a straw and still it sounded like it was going to come out her nose when she swallowed. :( she'd kill me if she knew I wrote that. :p

pavotrouge
Sep 3rd, 2008, 06:00 AM
I made the creamy tomato soup today at 5 am for my bento. It rocks, though it was a bit salty (probably due to the "snacking" dried tomatoes I used).

dreamqueen
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I made the Pasta Della California tonight - it was really, really tasty and super fast and easy to make. It's definitely going to become a staple. :satisfied:

fondducoeur
Sep 11th, 2008, 05:17 AM
I made the Pasta Della California tonight - it was really, really tasty and super fast and easy to make. It's definitely going to become a staple. :satisfied:

Mmmm...I have made that before, too. I am a fan.

RubyDuby
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I've been using this book quite a bit in the past couple of months.
So far I've made:

tomato-zucchini fritters I really liked these, but parents not impressed
diner home fries I love taters, but nothing unique about these
tofu florentine made this before. tis one of my faves. so satisfying! but I was a big tofu benedict/hollandaise sauce lover before
hot glazed tempeh pretty good, but should cut them smaller than recipe suggests
smokey grilled tempeh same as above
seitan cutlets too chewy, but better flavor than I've ever gotten before. i suck at homemade seian though, so...
chickpea cutlets sometimes these are awesome. sometimes too chewy
chickpea noodle soup I love this soup
hot and sour soup Do Not sub 2 tsp white pepper for chili oil! too much!!! bad tip. but otherwise delish
broccoli-potato soup turned out yum, but bastardized recipe so not fair to give opinion of it
pumpkin saag not a fan, but i could have screwed it up

mjnewbould
Sep 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I tried the Tamarind lentils yesterday - it was absolutely lovely!

dreamqueen
Sep 17th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I tried the Tamarind lentils yesterday - it was absolutely lovely!

Ooooh, I've been meaning to try those!

pavotrouge
Sep 17th, 2008, 09:16 PM
I made the creamy tomato soup (don't remember the exact name) last week and it was divine. Even my die-hard omni bitch coworker who doesn't like me otherwise begged to get a small bowl of it :)

Kitteh
Sep 22nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
For the jelly doughnut cupcakes it says get the cheapest jam you can so i did just that only to find that as the rest of the cake is not flavoured apart from with nutmeg the bland jam makes the cakes virtually tasteless. :amazed_ani:

American doughnuts must be nutmeg flavour i suppose. :dizzy: Pity cos they look fabby.

Oh that's a shame. I always make the gluten free cupcakes and alter them to suit the flavours of the different cupcakes. So mine had vanilla essence in them and I used good jam because I didn't want to buy the cheap n nasty stuff.

I'm getting this book for my birthday-I'M SO EXCITED-I cant wait to start cooking!:bigsmile2:

I hope your b'day is v.soon!!

RubyDuby
Sep 22nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
american donuts are not nutmeg flavored :p
but those cupcakes sure were! that had to be a missprint in the book.

not my favorite at all. In fact I ended up throwing the last cupcake away bc it got old.

Dana
Sep 24th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I went nuts this summer and ordered a bunch of cookbooks so that I'd have something to do this fall...
In the last 3 weeks, from Veganomicon, I've made:
Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles- the boys loved these!
Chickpea Cutlets- lovely, no problems here.
Lemony Roasted Potatoes- yum
Soft Poppy-Seed Polenta- very comfort food-ish for me
Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu- not my favorite...though I did save the uneaten ones and put them into Nori rolls the next day!
Basic Broiled Tofu- great recipe, simple, and yummy
Southwestern Corn Pudding- fabulous! even tastes good cold the next day!
Cauliflower and Mushroom Potpie with Black Olive Crust- so perfect for the fall, I substituted Chanterelle mushrooms (spelling?) for the cremini they ask for, and it was soooo fantastic.
Pineapple-Cashew-Quinoa Stir-Fry- another one I'll make often. Great dish.
Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions- boring...but I didn't make the pita crisps...maybe they make the whole thing come together???
Tomato and Roasted Eggplant Stew with Chickpeas- yummy!
Pumpkin Crumb Cake with Pecan Streusel- wonderful and moist. easily transportable! (as opposed to pumpkin pies which need to be refridgerated and handled with care)

And as soon as I can get my hands on a decent bundt pan...the Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake will be mine.

I just love these women and the cookbooks they are publishing! I'm going to try to make everything. Seriously...it will take me a year...but I'm sure I can do it :)

dreamqueen
Sep 24th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I went nuts this summer and ordered a bunch of cookbooks so that I'd have something to do this fall...
In the last 3 weeks, from Veganomicon, I've made:
Chocolate Chip Brownie Waffles- the boys loved these!
Chickpea Cutlets- lovely, no problems here.
Lemony Roasted Potatoes- yum
Soft Poppy-Seed Polenta- very comfort food-ish for me
Chile Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu- not my favorite...though I did save the uneaten ones and put them into Nori rolls the next day!
Basic Broiled Tofu- great recipe, simple, and yummy
Southwestern Corn Pudding- fabulous! even tastes good cold the next day!
Cauliflower and Mushroom Potpie with Black Olive Crust- so perfect for the fall, I substituted Chanterelle mushrooms (spelling?) for the cremini they ask for, and it was soooo fantastic.
Pineapple-Cashew-Quinoa Stir-Fry- another one I'll make often. Great dish.
Lentils and Rice with Caramelized Onions- boring...but I didn't make the pita crisps...maybe they make the whole thing come together???
Tomato and Roasted Eggplant Stew with Chickpeas- yummy!
Pumpkin Crumb Cake with Pecan Streusel- wonderful and moist. easily transportable! (as opposed to pumpkin pies which need to be refridgerated and handled with care)

And as soon as I can get my hands on a decent bundt pan...the Coconut-Lemon Bundt Cake will be mine.

I just love these women and the cookbooks they are publishing! I'm going to try to make everything. Seriously...it will take me a year...but I'm sure I can do it :)

Wow, this is very inspiring! I'm going to try the cauliflower pot pie asap!

bryzee86
Sep 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
just so you know, the double choc walnut cookies are frigging awesome!!

Dana
Sep 26th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I made the Lowfat Banana Bread (in a muffin tin, so lots of little banana breads!) and it was truly wonderful!:D

cherob
Sep 27th, 2008, 08:23 AM
you lot have really inspired me to give the book another go! I guess I got lazy and then left it on the shelf, but will take it out today and make something...will report back with results!

dreamqueen
Dec 3rd, 2008, 02:48 AM
I just tried a few new things over the weekend:

Chewy oatmeal raisin cookies: just okay. I have other recipes that do this classic recipe a lot better.

Curried carrot dip: just fine but not stellar.

Autumn latkes: really delicious, especially with the dill tahini sauce elsewhere in the book.

rantipole
Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
Autumn latkes: really delicious, especially with the dill tahini sauce elsewhere in the book.

That dill tahini sauce is fantastic! I love it as the dressing for pasta salad. Hmm. Maybe I'll make some tonight.

Cheers,
rant

Kitteh
Dec 5th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hmm maybe I will try the dill tahini sometime. I don't think I've made anything else from this, I REALLY should use my cookbooks more!

american donuts are not nutmeg flavored :p
but those cupcakes sure were! that had to be a missprint in the book.

not my favorite at all. In fact I ended up throwing the last cupcake away bc it got old.

I must have ignored the nutmeg addition because I don't have any, so mine were sweet, vanilla-ry and jammy.