PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RubyDuby
Dec 5th, 2008, 03:10 PM
mmm, must try that next time.

past few months i've made:
mac daddy- subbed half tofu for silken and added broccoli (double yum- best vegan mac n cheese EVER)
baked bbq tofu (pretty good)
prospect park potato salad (pretty good)
penne vodka (yum)
bean balls (tasty, but mine were too moist so cooked longer and then seemed a bit dry :rolleyes:)
chickpea romesco (tasty, but too messy to cook. sputtered all over the place and who wants to constantly stir for 35 minutes??)
saffron garlic rice- made with turmeric instead of saffron (yum)
potato kale enchiladas- made with spinach instead of kale (I love this dish. I've made it 3 times now and could probably drink the sauce all by itself! so good)

Quantum Mechanic
Dec 6th, 2008, 04:59 AM
We're getting this book for the holiday break and am probably going to be learning to cook some of these recipes.

Est
Dec 25th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Just opened my Christmas presents from my boss and voila... 6 bottles of vegan wine and my own copy of VCON! Fantastic! I was going to order VCON from Amazon a month ago so I'm really glad I didn't now.

Best recipe for a novice and short-of-time cook to start with, anyone? :)

Hemlock
Dec 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Just opened my Christmas presents from my boss and voila... 6 bottles of vegan wine and my own copy of VCON! Fantastic! I was going to order VCON from Amazon a month ago so I'm really glad I didn't now.

Wow Est, your boss rocks!!! My boss wouldn't give me the snot from her nose :rolleyes:

RubyDuby
Dec 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM
^^what she said!
my boss didn't give me anything but hours to work on christmas and a bunch of grief.

made mac daddy with broccoli again the other day, but used just firm tofu as the recipe calls for, instead of silken. still delicious, but tofu taste too strong. much prefer this recipe with silken. love the mac daddy,

Est
Dec 27th, 2008, 11:26 AM
lol she's not bad ;)

After a very disappointing Christmas dinner (nothing to do with VCON!) I pulled out the recipe book and made the rosemary focaccia on Boxing Day. Delish! Even though I managed to forget to add the salt to the dough, and so just had the light sprinkling on the crust.

Had it warm out of the oven. Good thick layer of melting "butter" (Pure) and hot sage and onion stuffing sandwiched between 2 slices... heaven!

The actual "making" hardly takes any time, which is a huge bonus :)

pavotrouge
Dec 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
the rosemary focaccia is the first thing I made out of the book, and also my first homemade focaccia ever. I love it!

dreamqueen
Dec 27th, 2008, 12:42 PM
The chickpea noodle soup is tasty and comes together easily. :)

Est
Dec 27th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Ooooh, just had a look at that one and noticed the porcini-wild rice soup on the next page which also sounds fab :) Might be making some soups soon...!

Roxy
Dec 27th, 2008, 10:22 PM

Wow nice boss! She must really appreciate you :)

Est
Dec 27th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Yup... and considering the 14-16 hour shifts, 6 days a week, that I've been doing... I deserve it!! (Hence my lengthy absence from VF - I'm on Christmas hols at the moment so have some spare time for once!)

Ok, I'm also going to try the Chickpea Cutlets, the Potato and Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce and the Potato-Mushroom Blintzes. Yum :)

Guate_Vegan
Dec 28th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Yup... and considering the 14-16 hour shifts, 6 days a week, that I've been doing... I deserve it!! (Hence my lengthy absence from VF - I'm on Christmas hols at the moment so have some spare time for once!)

Ok, I'm also going to try the Chickpea Cutlets, the Potato and Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce and the Potato-Mushroom Blintzes. Yum :)

Where do you work Est? :)

Est
Dec 28th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I'll PM you :)

Est
Dec 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Made the chickpea cutlets for dinner yesterday with omni OH, and they got a thumbs up from both of us. Very tasty and "substantial" plus quick to cook.

daveshorty
Jan 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I love this book. However... the other day I tried to make the spinach and chickpea curry and it turned out completely tasteless and terrible! Can't put my finger on where I went wrong!

fiamma
Jan 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Maybe the recipe itself was tasteless and terrible?

bryzee86
Jan 19th, 2009, 07:05 PM
i cannot find a chickpea spinach curry recipe in my nomicon.

daveshorty
Jan 20th, 2009, 09:21 AM
oh balls...i messed up, it's actually from another book. either How It All Vegan or that other isa one... ummmm...... you know the one i mean.

bryzee86
Jan 20th, 2009, 09:39 AM
oh balls...i messed up, it's actually from another book. either How It All Vegan or that other isa one... ummmm...... you know the one i mean.

ah that'd be why then...

Vegan With A Vengeance?

daveshorty
Jan 20th, 2009, 09:41 AM
aye, that's the one.
tasted shite.
i really don't know where i went wrong!

dreamqueen
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I recently made the cheezy sauce to drizzle over tacos and quite enjoyed it.

hedge
Jan 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM
I love this book. However... the other day I tried to make the spinach and chickpea curry and it turned out completely tasteless and terrible! Can't put my finger on where I went wrong!

I LOVE that recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. It is my favourite Curry recipe (and I've made a LOT of Curries).
I wish I could make this for you (would if I could) because not to taste this as it should be made is a crying shame!!

pavotrouge
Jan 21st, 2009, 08:04 PM
I loved the curry recipe, too.
Have you got the UK or US version? Because there are a few conversion mistakes in the UK one.

missbettie
Jan 21st, 2009, 09:07 PM
i've never tried curry...so then i guess i should try this recipe...

Penny
Jan 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM
I made the simple seitan today and it was exactly the same as Fry's Chunky Wok & Stew Strips, but cheaper! However it was more trouble than just walking to the car, driving to the shop, putting a packet in the basket, walking to the checkout, paying (with my Vegan Society discount), walking to the car, putting it in the cool bag, driving home, taking it out of the coolbag, walking to the house, putting the packet in the freezer, taking it out later and putting it in the pot.... OK, it was much LESS trouble than driving to the shop etc......!