PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23

Verencemos
Jan 21st, 2009, 10:11 PM
I was looking at the chickpea cutlets. I'm not familiar with vital wheat gluten. Would flour do as a substitute? I haven't seen it in the local health food shop, though I haven't actually asked.

hedge
Jan 22nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Have you got the UK or US version? Because there are a few conversion mistakes in the UK one.

Are there? I have the UK version and if my memory serves me well (too lazy to go look now) then it does tell you to add Ginger twice - but I gathered that was wrong so just left it.
The Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe in there is completely wrong - I know that for a fact because I made them and they required a quick rescue job of adding Soya milk and more marg. I posted about that recipe on my blog and most people agreed with me that the recipe is wrong in the UK VWaV.

missbettie
Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
I was looking at the chickpea cutlets. I'm not familiar with vital wheat gluten. Would flour do as a substitute? I haven't seen it in the local health food shop, though I haven't actually asked.

The wheat gluten allows the chewy texture and the "glue" to hold them together...i'm pretty sure flour wouldn't really work too well...

a lot of normal grocery stores have it because it is an ingrediant in making some bread...just ask!!

chickpea cutlets are my fav!

fondducoeur
Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
i've never tried curry...so then i guess i should try this recipe...

You should. I just made it a couple weeks ago and it was delish. I posted a picture here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21573&page=8.

bexi
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:33 AM
The wheat gluten allows the chewy texture and the "glue" to hold them together...i'm pretty sure flour wouldn't really work too well...

a lot of normal grocery stores have it because it is an ingrediant in making some bread...just ask!!

chickpea cutlets are my fav!

Actually, wheat gluten is a nightmare to find in the uk... I've never been able to find it in any shops. But you can order it online: http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/ :)

missbettie
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
aw bummer that sucks! why is it hard to find?

missbettie
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
You should. I just made it a couple weeks ago and it was delish. I posted a picture here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21573&page=8.

okay i am definately making it now! lol I made the lemony roasted potatoes the other day...i liked them, but they were kinda weird...there is another recipe in there for roasted potatoes...i can't remember the name but it has musterd in it, that one IMO was much better.

vgnwitch
Jan 24th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Regarding the comments about nutmeg in doughnuts ...

Storebought North American doughnuts, either in supermarkets or those coffee & doughnut shops, don't really taste of anything. They are just overly sweet and otherwise lacking in any real flavour.

Nutmeg is, in fact, a traditional ingredient in homemade doughnuts, and to me, a doughnut isn't a doughnut without nutmeg.

I think the doughnut cupcakes in Vcon are lovely. I've made them a few times [always with nutmeg] and they get snaffled down straight away. Delicious!

Opheliac
Jan 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Finally, I've got the possibility to post in the 'Veganomicon'-section. (:
After a month of possessing this cookbook I finally had found enough ingredients and a recipe I'd really may like and so today was the day of all days: my first self-cooked meal ever! And by 'meal' I'm not talking about noodles or rice - I've cooked these simple things before, that's no big deal for me, but I have NEVER ever before really cooked a 'real' meal. I'm so proud. (: Oh, I forgot to give you the name: It's the "French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme". (I hope that's the correct name of it). I just still don't know how it tastes, but it looks edible! I'm so happy. *_* This really made my day. (:

Edit: You can eat it, but it tastes like nothing.. maybe more salt?

fondducoeur
Jan 29th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Hmmm...did you get it to taste any better? I have been meaning to try that recipe. I'm wanting me some lentil soup and wanted to try a recipe different from my standard (the lentil soup recipe in the Chicago Diner cookbook).

Opheliac
Jan 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I guess my mistake was using only 3 instead of 5 tomatoes. And no bay leaves (because I was too lazy to walk to the supermarket just for this).
But I took a bit more salt to make it taste better. (:

PS. My family loved the soup. (:

pavotrouge
Jan 29th, 2009, 06:39 PM
the lentil soup recipe is the best of all I've ever tried :)

fondducoeur
Jan 30th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Good to hear. I'll have to try it soon.

Opheliac
Jan 30th, 2009, 03:52 PM
˛pavotrouge. You tried it, too? =D I'd have loved to taste yours and see how mine should have tasted. x) Because I'm not a hundred percent sure if my lentil soup tasted the way it should. :o

rantipole
Feb 4th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I made the Lemony Roasted Potatoes this weekend and they were so good. They are strongly lemony, so be prepared. I couldn't get enough of them. My bf didn't like them that much, but that just meant more for me.

Cheers,
rant

MarkAnthony
Feb 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I got this in the post today. Absolutely cannot WAIT to sift through some of these recipes. I'll be checking this thread out for confirmations of winnng recipes. :D

DiaShel
Feb 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Mine is in the mail. I'm thinking of making a valentine's day dinner with it

Kitteh
Feb 17th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Mine is in the mail. I'm thinking of making a valentine's day dinner with it

I hope you received it by Feb 14 :)

DiaShel
Feb 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I accidentally had it mailed to the wrong address (my parents house) so I won't have it for a while :(

fondducoeur
Mar 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Has anyone made any variations of the ice cream? I am a little leary because of the silken tofu in the recipe. They sound so good but I don't want to invest in an ice cream make without knowing if it's a solid recipe.

Wildflower
Mar 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Finally, I've got the possibility to post in the 'Veganomicon'-section. (:
After a month of possessing this cookbook I finally had found enough ingredients and a recipe I'd really may like and so today was the day of all days: my first self-cooked meal ever! And by 'meal' I'm not talking about noodles or rice - I've cooked these simple things before, that's no big deal for me, but I have NEVER ever before really cooked a 'real' meal. I'm so proud. (: Oh, I forgot to give you the name: It's the "French Lentil Soup with Tarragon and Thyme". (I hope that's the correct name of it). I just still don't know how it tastes, but it looks edible! I'm so happy. *_* This really made my day. (:

Edit: You can eat it, but it tastes like nothing.. maybe more salt?

I've made that recipe quite a few times, and actually you can get it off their website here for those who don't have the book. http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=105

Did you use the fresh tarragon and tyme? I use fresh and put in handfuls of it. It tastes awesome - my favorite lentil soup recipe. :)

Mommal
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I've been loving this cookbook! :thumbsup: Mostly hits with only one miss so far...

FREAKING AWESOME:
Tamarind Lentils (my omni husband's new favorite dish)
Baked Potato and Greens Soup (my 2 year old loves it)
Spicy Peanut and Eggplant Soup (sounds weird but it's great)
Tempeh Shepherdess Pie (comfort food)
Vanilla-Yogurt Pound Cake (insane with sweetened cherries)

NOT SO MUCH:
Tomato Rice Soup with Roasted Garlic and Navy Beans ( bland in spite of containing two HEADS of garlic :eek: and too much thyme IMO)

missbettie
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:20 PM
^ I love the shepardless pie, i always make that for my finance, who is an omni, he totally digs it, i don't use tempeh though i just get the premade "ground meat"

made i'll try the lentils next, was it easy to make? what did you serve it with?

Mommal
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:43 PM
made i'll try the lentils next, was it easy to make? what did you serve it with?

I thought it was really easy! The hardest part was getting some of the ingredients; for the garam masala, whole cumin seeds and tamarind paste I had to stop at an Indian market but that was no big deal really. Actually it was fun. :) I served it over basmati rice with just a simple green salad on the side.

missbettie
Apr 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM
hmmm seems very yummy, and now i'm starving... lol