PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23

Mommal
Apr 15th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Tonight I made the Basic Braised Tofu. It was great. I've been trying to figure out how to make slightly chewy tofu (that isn't fried) since like forever. I think this is pretty much the greatest cookbook ever.

missbettie
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:53 PM
^ if you freeze the tofu after you drain it, it makes a chewy texture. Have you tried the chickpea cutlets? those are very nummy and chewy.

Mommal
Apr 15th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I'll have to try freezing the tofu, thank you! And I've heard that the chickpea cutlets were good. That'll be next on my list.

So many good things to try. I'm having a lot of fun with this book.

missbettie
Apr 15th, 2009, 07:21 PM
i know this is the best cook book ever!!!! yummy!!!

DiaShel
Apr 15th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I bought it months ago but only made one or two things. I got to get on that! It's hard for me to get motivated to cook.

missbettie
Apr 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM
get cracking Diashel!

Mommal
Apr 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM
If I can ever get the kids to bed tonight then I am making lemon bars.

CrunchyMomma
Apr 19th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I ordered this cookbook along with VCTOTW and I've been drooling over the recipes and photographs throughout the day. Some of the recipes call for ingredients I can't readily buy at the local grocery store (which is why I love the helpful icons above each recipe, so I can quickly identify which recipes necessitate a special trip to the natural foods shop), but I am eager to make the pound cake, the Yuca quesadillas, the simple seitan and the BBQ black eyed peas collard rolls.

Mommal
Apr 20th, 2009, 12:16 AM
The lemon bars were nice enough but not fabulous. However,the leek and bean cassoulet was totally delicious. I'll definitely be making that again.

CrunchyMomma I totally want to try the seitan. I'm afraid though because every time I've tried to make seitan it's been a huge disappointment.

missbettie
Apr 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
^ the seitan receipe is good in the book, i prefer the boiling over the baking though,....i loooove seitan...I havn't had it in months and months though...maybe i have an idea for dinner!

Mommal
Apr 20th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Glad to hear it! Is there a particular brand of wheat gluten that's better than another? I think maybe my mistake was using the type intended as an additive for bread...

missbettie
Apr 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
^ I don't think so...I use a brand called Red Mill, but i think all wheat glueten can be used for bread, i think its your method of cooking it that alters the flavor and the stretching of the dough.
I think its a bit of an art...but then again maybe you just don't like it. lol

Rakey
May 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I bought wheat gluten off ebay, and made the chickpea cutlets! Oh my gosh WOW!
The spaghetti and bean balls weren't bad either.

Hemlock
May 5th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I made the lemon and coconut bundt cake for my son's birthday, the batter tasted amazing but became quite bland once cooked, I'd double the recommended lemon ingredients next time.

angelswan
May 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Reallly good!

IcedTea
May 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
I bought wheat gluten off ebay, and made the chickpea cutlets! Oh my gosh WOW!

I keep hearing rave reviews for these. I finally bought the stuff to make them today. The picture in the book looks very yummy. Any suggested sides or veggies?

missbettie
May 22nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
the lemony roasted potatoes. yum! i make mashed potatoes too.

smallhelen
May 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Made the cashew pineapple quinoa stir fry a couple of days ago, and it was very tasty. My OH really liked it too. Wish I'd taken a photo, but ate it all before I remembered! Will be making it again. :)

Julilla
May 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Made the cashew pineapple quinoa stir fry a couple of days ago, and it was very tasty. My OH really liked it too. Wish I'd taken a photo, but ate it all before I remembered! Will be making it again. :)

I love this one as well! Thanks for reminding me.
My favourites are the chickpea noodle soup and the lentil soup. :)

pavotrouge
May 27th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I love those too, as well!

now actually I gave away my Veganomicon copy... all the recipes I like I know by heart.

fondducoeur
May 27th, 2009, 09:26 PM

I made this recently and it rocked. It's so pretty, too! I will be making it again soon for my OH to try.

smallhelen
May 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Had another success with my OH - made the Cholent (stew thing).
The only problem now is that he's gonna expect me to cook exciting things all the time!!

RubyDuby
May 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM
ooh, i keep looking at that recipe, but haven't tried it yet. What's it taste like? How would you rate it?

smallhelen
May 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
The Cholent was very tasty, although the TVP chunks could do with being marinated in something first. The chunks were nice and chewy, and added a nice texture. Potato bits and lentils also made it very nice. Decided to make it cos the book had a nice picture of the dish. OH gave it 4.5 out of 5, so must have been good. :)

RubyDuby
May 29th, 2009, 09:40 PM
was it easy to make? i think i'll give it a shot this weekend.