PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23

fondducoeur
May 30th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I have been meaning to try the cholent also, but am hesitant about the tvp. I seem to remember not liking them, but it has been a while since trying them. Isa rarely steers me wrong, though!

RubyDuby
May 30th, 2009, 02:06 PM
i was going to use seitan. don't think i've ever seen tvp "chunks"

helen105281
May 30th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I made this recently and it rocked. It's so pretty, too! I will be making it again soon for my OH to try.

I made this tonight, it was gorgeous. You're right about it looking pretty, it is so colourful.

smallhelen
May 31st, 2009, 08:28 PM
The continuing story of Cholent.....
I used TVP chunks that are available from a British store (Holland and Barratt). Not sure what other versions would be like, or if you could use seitan (which is very hard to get anywhere near me). Soaked it is water, soy sauce and vegan worcestershire sauce before using it, so it had a bit more taste. Then just followed the recipe, ending with tasty goodness.

missbettie
Jun 1st, 2009, 08:06 PM
i was going to use seitan. don't think i've ever seen tvp "chunks"

I havn't either, maybe its not a US thing?

Buddha Belly
Jun 1st, 2009, 08:14 PM
Found this on the net about it's use in US.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/all_about_textured_vegetable_protein.htm

Might not be easy to get hold of outside of survivalist shops. :D

missbettie
Jun 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
^ maybe its like how its hard to get Wheat Glueten for some people in England, its just way more difficult to find TVP...you know i did see some in the bulk section of the health food store i can't go to anymore...but thats a lost cause anyway. maybe once our whole foods opens out here...

Buddha Belly
Jun 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Is that the store that is anti gay marriage? How is the local protest against them going?

missbettie
Jun 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM
yez...jerks.

RubyDuby
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM
oh yes, i have tvp... I don't know why I assumed chunks would be bigger? The ones I have are like panko bread crumbs.

IcedTea
Jun 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I made the Mexican Millet for dinners this week. I turned it into a main dish by adding pinto beans (I wanted black, but this is all I had) and frozen corn. It was my first time using millet and I don't think I cooked it long enough, but besides that, it was very good.

DiaShel
Jun 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I made the quinoa pineapple cashew stir fry. I didn't like it too much but it could just be my sad cooking skills.

RubyDuby
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM
re cholent: vcon does specify chunks, not granules. I have never seen chunks. :confused: still haven't made it as can't bring myself to drop $5 on seitan at the moment.

pavotrouge
Jun 13th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I've seen chunks in Asian stores all over Europe, so you might have a look in one of those. Indian stores have a wide selection of TVP as well.

Lord Perennialist
Jun 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Just bought this book today! Looks awesome!

RubyDuby
Jul 10th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I made dinner for my and my bf's parents last night and friggin forgot to take pics of the food. :hmm:

Made vcon's corn and edamame sesame salad served in radicchio cups, caesar salad and the grilled yuca tortillas with tropical avocado salsa fresca (also store bought guac, sun chips, watermelon and cantelope). I can't find yuca though so I made the sweet potato and black bean variation and added some regular baked potatoes in place of the yuka. They were bomb. Everything was delicious.

fiamma
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I have this book and have never used it... its scope scares me a little, dunno why... :confused:

RubyDuby
Jul 10th, 2009, 06:27 PM
whaddaya mean?

missbettie
Jul 10th, 2009, 07:37 PM
the only thing that drives me absolutly crazy about this book is the table of contents has the wrong page numbers!!!!! but other wise :D

RubyDuby
Jul 10th, 2009, 08:27 PM
:lol: I didn't even notice! I have seen lots of other typos though... ingredients listed, but not in directions, Tbs instead of tsp :eek: etc etc. Kind of annoyting but dealwithable.

*live*&*let*live
Jul 10th, 2009, 08:42 PM
:lol: I didn't even notice! I have seen lots of other typos though... ingredients listed, but not in directions, Tbs instead of tsp :eek: etc etc. Kind of annoyting but dealwithable.

Is this a joke :D or a bit of irony? :lol::thumbsup:

fiamma
Jul 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I mean too many recipes, all a bit overwhelming.... I think I'm a bit of an Isa-phobe too - I absolutely hate VWAV, whereas everyone else on the planet seems to love it.

RubyDuby
Jul 10th, 2009, 09:31 PM
^you don't have to make them all at once! I have vwav too, and honestly don't use it, but use vcon almost every day.

Is this a joke :D or a bit of irony? :lol::thumbsup:
lol. oops :o

*live*&*let*live
Jul 11th, 2009, 02:00 AM
:D:thumbsup::o:lol: ^ just meant as a bit of fun, I did not intend to draw attention to it and embarrass you! That was not my intention so I apologise if I did. ^

timberly
Jul 14th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I don't have Veganomicon. Anyone who doesn't like it can send me their copy and I'll mail them back treats :D