pavotrouge
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:48 PM
yay! we should have v-con food swaps!

Poison Ivy
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Cool, I'll have some of the White Bean Alioli please!:D

pavotrouge
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:52 PM
ok, if you don't mind that people in public places run away from you...

we went to see a ballett last night and people kept turning their noses and we thought: "What, was it because we're pierced/younger than 100 years old/so hot?" until we realized we must stink of garlic.

:D vegan garlic breath takes over the world!

(If I'm ever going to write a cookbook, that'll be the title)

auntierozzi
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:56 PM
This weekend I made the Almost All American Seitan Potpie which went down really well with all the family. I especially liked the chickpea flour pastry which was crispy and good. I used vegan margarine instead of shortening since I can't get anything shorteningish.
Tomorrow I plan to make the cauliflower and mushroom potpie with black olive crust. The colder weather is making me fancy pies, lucky I've been to aerobics tonight.
Pavot - I know what you mean about feeling as though the book needs to grow on you. I like it but did find it a bit overwhelming before I had made anything. Poison Ivy - when are you going to start selling your cakes on-line, you'de make a mint!

eclectic_one
Nov 13th, 2007, 08:28 PM
I've made the jelly donuts cupcakes once too and the jelly also didn't sink in as promised:rolleyes: I think next time I'll put the jelly in the middle...put some batter, then jelly, then more batter:)

jamboxrock
Nov 13th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I have a favor to ask of anyone who has this book already. I already asked on ppk but nobody's responded yet.

I don't have the book yet (going to buy it soon as I can afford it) but I heard there's a recipe for Southwestern Corn Casserole or something similar, and I'm really interested in making it for Thanksgiving next week. My mom used to make a corn casserole every year for the holidays. Anybody have a couple minutes to type it up and send it over to me? Or scan and e-mail?

Pretty please?

angelamc
Nov 14th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Do the jelly donut cupcakes really taste like donuts? I haven't had a donut in yeeeears! yum! I think I'll make them for my class potluck on thursday!

Aims
Nov 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM
my tummy just tried to eat itself while looking at those jelly donut cupcake pics... omg yum...

bryzee86
Nov 14th, 2007, 04:20 AM
I HAVE to get this book!

Poison Ivy
Nov 14th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Poison Ivy - when are you going to start selling your cakes on-line, you'de make a mint!

Thanks Auntie:o I have thought about it but I'm not sure how much call there is really for mail order vegan cakes, and the market may already be covered by the few that are already in existence:confused:

I have a favor to ask of anyone who has this book already. I already asked on ppk but nobody's responded yet.

I've PM'd you Jamboxrock!:)

Do the jelly donut cupcakes really taste like donuts? I haven't had a donut in yeeeears! yum! I think I'll make them for my class potluck on thursday!

They're nice, in fact no, they're very nice...not sure they taste like donuts but they're still good.:)

I HAVE to get this book!

Yes, yes you do!:)

jamboxrock
Nov 14th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Thank you, Poison Ivy!

And thanks to AuntieRozzi for offering as well!

fondducoeur
Nov 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I was just looking at this book on Amazon yesterday! I am thinking about picking it up, I a bit of a thing for vegan cookbooks.

pavotrouge
Nov 16th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Ok, so far I have made the white bean aioli, cranberry chilli sauce, 5 minute mango chutney, the spicy tempeh with broccoli (no rabe available here) and pasta, creole-stuffed peppers and quinoa muffins. All were fab!

KrissStress
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Vegan w/ A Vengeance is wonderful because most all of the things I need spice and ingredient wise is stuff any common sense pantry/kitchen has laying around. I saw Veganomicon in a book shoppe today and thumbed through it, but didn't have time to really study any of the recipes. Is this book worth it to me or will I have to go out of my way to get more exotic ingredients and things to make some of the entrees (as a person earlier in this thread wrote)?

Sri Radha
Nov 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
No, I would say the ingredients are very easy to come by. Especially if you live in Chicago, which is a huge city. She also has recipes labeled if they are regular grocery store friendly.

I have made so far:

tamarind lentils (a favorite!)
lemon bars (the greatest EVER!!! if you have the book make them!)
chickpea cutlets (very tastey)
black bean burgers (fast easy and so good! a favorite!)
Snobby Joes (very yummy, we like them a lot)

I think that is it so far. Tonight I am making the asparagus quiche with tomato and tarragon. I can't wait.

pavotrouge
Nov 19th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I think the ingredients are a lot easier to find than those in VWAV. definitely pantry-friendly!

I made the chickpea cutlets and the fried potatoes from the brunch chapter yesterday. yums!

bryzee86
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
you gonna come London and bring some foods?

Stine
Nov 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM
mmm im getting hungry just reading about it.. the book is on my christmas wishing list... :D

pavotrouge
Nov 20th, 2007, 11:21 PM
you gonna come London and bring some foods?

dear, I'd love to. but let's talk about moving to London in a year when it's realistic.

ok, I'm teasing again... today I made the lemony potatoes. wow is all I can say. I fell in love with lemons this morning.

cherrywisp
Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Ooh this looks exciting! I want it :D

KrissStress
Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:47 PM
We just bought this last night and I'm pretty excited to get some of the recipes started :)

Ruby Rose
Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
We've made the blueberry and corn pancakes - at my OH's insistence - for breakfast for the last three Sundays. So good.

There's a few typos and omissions that are a bit irritating (e.g. the lower-fat banana bread recipe suddenly says to fold in chocolate chips - not in the ingredients list), but overall, I'm finding it just as yummy and insipiring as VWAV (though VCTOW remains my all time fave).

Also, I think being English and from an area of the UK without a vibrant Jewish cultural presence, I don't always know what the things are supposed to look like (like, what the heck are knishes?) so the lack of photos is a bit of a bind.

auntierozzi
Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
My knishes look like giant pasties....but maybe they aren't supposed to ;-)