PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23

missbettie
Jun 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
ooo i've made the scalloped potatoes once too, they were very delicious and easy.

fondducoeur
Aug 23rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
I just made the prospect park potato salad for the second time, and just wanted to mention how yummy it is. I didn't even used to like potato salad as a non-vegan (probably because I didn't care much for mayo, but love vegenaise). It is loaded with vegenaise and olive oil, so is not the healthiest recipe, but it is tangy and wonderful.

missbettie
Aug 23rd, 2010, 11:46 PM
^ i've made that too, its really good. So is the brooklyn pasta salad. I make that very frequently, its super easy to make. And the last time I made it, and it was a pound of pasta mind you, it was gone in 10 minutes. I do add different spices to it though.

cedarblue
Aug 27th, 2010, 03:35 PM
i actually made something from this book that i got last christmas.

the roast lemony potatoes, 5 minute mango chutney, spinach and tomatoes and samosa baked potatoes.

tasted great but i was exhausted afterwards - so much faffing about.

think i will make it a weekend book to use and not a midweek meal one.

sigen92
Apr 2nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
I just hands-down ADORE this book! I stumbled over it while shopping in London and I must say that those were money well spent!

I've even started checking off each recipe as I go along, just to see how long it'll take me to make every recipe in the book :p
No, but seriously, it is, by far, the best vegan cookbook I've found! No difficult ingredients or descriptions and even a vegan "noob" like me has no problem making these turn out delicious every time! I especially love the Spaghetti and Beanballs and Chickpea Cutlets. Yum lol

missbettie
Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:02 AM
Has anyone tried making the Chickpea Cutlets with flour instead of wheat gluten? I'm thinking of trying that tonight... i'm thinking they will be pretty crumbly.... but maybe it would be okay? If I have chickpeas at home i'm going to try it.... and i'll bake it too...

VeganAthlete
Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:07 AM
I tried it, and used 1/4 wholewheat flour and 1/4 soy flour. I sprayed the layer of the baking dish with olive oil spray and sprinkled a little soy flour as well to "bread" the cutlet. Once I shaped them into the baking dish, I pressed them and tried compressing them a bit. Then a little more olive oil spray and some more soy flour sprinkled over. I baked them as well until they looked a little crispy and browned....if you remove them with a spatula really really careful they might not be so crumbly. One of mine almost stayed completely intact! once its on your plate with the rest of the food...it's not such a big deal! :) Best of luck!

Oohh some Siracha sauce will give it a yummy Thai flavour!

missbettie
Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:02 PM
that sounds really yummy....

I did it with flour last night.... They weren't crumbly, and they were actually really pretty....though the taste was way different, they are better the second day. I used just white flour, but I do think that wholewheat flour would make it taste better....they totally had that flour taste.... maybe next time less flour and more bread crumbs....

I would totally make it like this again. but different tweaks.... it almost was more like a "burger"

VeganAthlete
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
Yay! I'm glad it worked out for you!! The ww flour gives it a nuttier more meat like texture & taste. It does taste pretty good esp with the added condiments. I love the color...it's better than boca's. I use soy flour to give it a kick of extra protein and it gives it a nice crisp/brown look that looks like you are indulging in a nice fatty burger (but in reality it's no such thing). I tweak it depending on my mood at the moment of preparation. It's never really exactly the same.

I've been tempted to make my own wheat meat but I am still working on the measurements and condiments before I give it a try. I tried wheat meat with sesame ("sesame chicken") at a local veg restaurant but it was sort of rubbery and had a weird aftertaste...love the concept, disliked the taste...better off making my own.

missbettie
Nov 3rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
by Wheat Meat are you referring to Seitan? There are good recipes in Veganomicon.

fondducoeur
Feb 15th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I just tried the seitan picatta w/olives and green beans last night over mashed potatoes, and it was absolutely delicious! It was the perfect Valentine's Day meal (especially since we had this same dish Valentine's Day weekend in NY at Candle 79 two years ago).
I have been enjoying receipe after recipe from this book for well over 4 years and can't believe I just tried this one for the first time. I made the seitan the day before, which made cooking the rest go very quickly.

Blueberries
Jul 8th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I'm getting this book soon as a present (I always tell people what I want!) and I'm really looking forward to making some of the unusual and yummy-sounding dishes mentioned in the thread!

Kel-Delacoe
Jul 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM
I'm getting this book soon as a present (I always tell people what I want!) and I'm really looking forward to making some of the unusual and yummy-sounding dishes mentioned in the thread!

I bought it recently and as a new vegan I was a bit scared of it lol but am getting used to it now, it has some amazing recipes and now I have seen a pic on this thread im really looking forward to making the snobby joes - yum :)

Blueberries
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
I bought it recently and as a new vegan I was a bit scared of it lol but am getting used to it now, it has some amazing recipes and now I have seen a pic on this thread im really looking forward to making the snobby joes - yum :)

I just got it and am flicking through it. I haven't made anything from it yet and even though I'm not a new vegan it is a little bit intimidating! I felt the same way about VWAV when I first got it (I was a new vegan then) but now I love it! I like that about Isa's books, they're unusual and a bit challenging, you know that you'll discover something new!

Firestorm
Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:02 PM
I'm a fan of this book, don't let the recipes intimidate you they are great once you get started. The 3 that I make most are: Cholent, Chickpeas Romseco & Jelly Doughnut muffins

deniselynn
Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:23 PM
Chickpea cutlets are a fave at my house!

Kel-Delacoe
Jul 24th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I just got it and am flicking through it. I haven't made anything from it yet and even though I'm not a new vegan it is a little bit intimidating! I felt the same way about VWAV when I first got it (I was a new vegan then) but now I love it! I like that about Isa's books, they're unusual and a bit challenging, you know that you'll discover something new!

I bought AFR too at the same time and have made a lot out of that, love it! I went from a full on meat eater to vegan so she def helped make it easier..must think about purchasing her others...although not the desert ones as im doing slimming world lol

Blackpoolvegan
Jul 24th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I bought AFR too at the same time and have made a lot out of that, love it! I went from a full on meat eater to vegan so she def helped make it easier..must think about purchasing her others...although not the desert ones as im doing slimming world lol

My BF bought me both Veganomicon and Appetite for Reduction recently - I've made a few things now, esp the tofu dishes and Snobby Joes, which have all been pretty good. The recipes do take a bit of getting used to (and also the purchase of cup measures!), but both books are expanding my repertoire of dishes. I went from meat-eater straight to vegan, too - I was already cooking a number of veggie/vegan things anyway, so it wasn't too hard to do, but I'm appreciating these cookbooks all the same. (LOL about the dessert comment - I'm on Weightwatchers! No muffins for me until I've got rid of my own personal muffin-top!)

True2myheart
Jul 28th, 2012, 10:06 PM
My BF bought me both Veganomicon and Appetite for Reduction recently - I've made a few things now, esp the tofu dishes and Snobby Joes, which have all been pretty good. The recipes do take a bit of getting used to (and also the purchase of cup measures!), but both books are expanding my repertoire of dishes. I went from meat-eater straight to vegan, too - I was already cooking a number of veggie/vegan things anyway, so it wasn't too hard to do, but I'm appreciating these cookbooks all the same. (LOL about the dessert comment - I'm on Weightwatchers! No muffins for me until I've got rid of my own personal muffin-top!)

I love this book, I tore apart my house yesterday looking for it, then called my mother and realized it was at her house. I used to be vegan and stopped in 2008 because my hair was falling out and my dr told me I'd have to change my diet. Since then I've learned it has nothing to do with my diet and it's all about genetics. Since I stopped eating vegan I've gained 50lbs! I'm ready to start over and I'm hoping this book will get me well on my way. I'm with ya on losing weight, so if you need anyone to chat to, I'd love to give you my email. :)

My boyf. isn't vegan so it may be tough in the beginning, but so far he's supportive - except the fact that I'm going to have to spend some initial "cashola" revamping our kitchen with vegan staples!

Blackpoolvegan
Jul 29th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I love this book, I tore apart my house yesterday looking for it, then called my mother and realized it was at her house. I used to be vegan and stopped in 2008 because my hair was falling out and my dr told me I'd have to change my diet. Since then I've learned it has nothing to do with my diet and it's all about genetics. Since I stopped eating vegan I've gained 50lbs! I'm ready to start over and I'm hoping this book will get me well on my way. I'm with ya on losing weight, so if you need anyone to chat to, I'd love to give you my email.

My boyf. isn't vegan so it may be tough in the beginning, but so far he's supportive - except the fact that I'm going to have to spend some initial "cashola" revamping our kitchen with vegan staples!

Many good wishes as you restart veganism - bet you're glad to be back! Yep, I bet you'll find AFR n Veganomicon really useful - the food is really tasty. AFR is good 'cos it gives nutritional info which I've found v handy. (You're right about having to spend some cash - I know eating vegan can be pretty cheap on the whole, but I found I had to expand my collection of herbs and spices: I probs have more than my nearest supermarket!) I might open my own restaurant....:lol:

Trish.thomp
Jul 29th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Thank you for this recommendation, just ordered from Amazon, can't wait! :)

Blueberries
Jul 29th, 2012, 11:24 PM
I just made my first dish from Veganonicon, tempeh shepherdess pie (p167). I followed the basic recipe with my own alterations, I added worchestershire sauce and Marmite to the sauce instead of the herbs, and left out the corn (I'm not a fan of sweetcorn). I thought tempeh would be a bit weird in such a traditional dish but it works. I made loads so its going to be lunch and/or dinner for the next few days :D

True2myheart
Jul 31st, 2012, 04:20 PM
Many good wishes as you restart veganism - bet you're glad to be back! Yep, I bet you'll find AFR n Veganomicon really useful - the food is really tasty. AFR is good 'cos it gives nutritional info which I've found v handy. (You're right about having to spend some cash - I know eating vegan can be pretty cheap on the whole, but I found I had to expand my collection of herbs and spices: I probs have more than my nearest supermarket!) I might open my own restaurant....

I'm very glad to be back! I'm ready to get this going! Had oatmeal with raisins this morning and now I'm ready to make Cholent (pg 182) in the book. I couldn't find TVP Chunks, so I had to buy the granules.. I'm sure it won't be as great, but it's all I could find and I really want to try it, it sounds super filling! :)

I wonder how long it'll keep in the fridge for since I'll be the only one eating it?

Firestorm
Jul 31st, 2012, 05:15 PM
I wonder how long it'll keep in the fridge for since I'll be the only one eating it?

I've made this a few times, it keeps for a few days in the fridge but freezes well

BeetIt
Dec 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
I was so intimidated by this book at first because it's got some labor intensive recipes! But once you get started it's not so bad. Now it's the favorite cookbook of the house. I love seeing the pictures of the food posted!