PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

vava
Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
Also, I think being English and from an area of the UK without a vibrant Jewish cultural presence, I don't always know what the things are supposed to look like (like, what the heck are knishes?) so the lack of photos is a bit of a bind.

copy the name into google and then click on images - works every time!;)

Ruby Rose
Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:43 PM
That's a good idea! I suppose I just tend to skip over the recipes where I don't have any sense what kind of thing they are - so it doesn't get as far as getting to Google!

pavotrouge
Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
I'm also scared by the Jewish word "kugel" for a casserole, "kugel" meaning "ball" in German.

eclectic_one
Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'm the one who said that there are some hard to find ingredients in some recipes and I still stand by that. I live in a dinky little town and would have to drive about an hour--one way--to get to a store that would have some of the ingredients (like agar flakes).

Anyway, I just made the braised brussels sprouts and seitan and it was yummy!:p [I used store bought seitan though that already had some flavoring.] I made udon noodles (broken in half) and stirred it into the dish and it was great! I ended up eating seconds--something I seldom do--and still have a bunch left over for the next few days. I'd give this one dish 4.5 stars out of 5.

Artichoke47
Dec 4th, 2007, 10:49 PM
the lemon bars are to die for.

vava
Dec 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I have just scarfed down the Eggplant - Potato Moussaka with Pine Nut Cream -not all of it tho! Would feed 8 easily if you were partaking of some dessert afterwards.

:D v nice - v tomatoey v creamy I would give it 8 and a half out of ten. I would have liked some crispness on the top, so if I do it again I would put some breadcrumbs on the cream topping along with some random pine nuts for crunch.

This was a recipe that caught my eye when I first looked at the book but to be honest the book scared me when I first bought it about a month ago and it has taken me until now to try it. It was very labour intensive and worth the outcome. This would be perfect on a summers evening with a mixed crisp salad french bread and a cool bottle of vino. Mix liberally with some good friends et voila!

Supposed to taste even better the next day - slavering at the thought.:o

The topping is really interesting and I think it would work well on a lot of dishes like lasagna, pizza etc. Thank goodness it wasn't pine in flavour as I thought it may be! It was fun squeezing the courgettes as well.

pavotrouge
Dec 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
The moussaka sounds divine but I'm too lazy for that at the moment...

I made the peanut-eggplant stew for tomorrow's bento, though I left out the green beans.

It's very rich and creamy and... different. It's sort of a fusion of Indian and African food.

bryzee86
Dec 17th, 2007, 10:31 PM
how have people in the UK managed to find this book? I asked blackwell's and they said it's not available til APRIL!!! argh!

Astrid
Dec 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM
how have people in the UK managed to find this book? I asked blackwell's and they said it's not available til APRIL!!! argh!

They have it on Amazon, so I guess a lot of people have ordered it there. I'm awaiting my copy as we speek. :)

bryzee86
Dec 17th, 2007, 11:45 PM
it says on here that it's being published by deCapo in the uk on 1st April 2008...: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veganomicon-Ultimate-Isa-Chandra-Moskowitz/dp/156924264X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197935052&sr=8-1

Poison Ivy
Dec 18th, 2007, 06:48 AM

The Book Depository, clicky here (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/search.php?key=veganomicon&by=title&Button1.x=0&Button1.y=0&Button1=Go) - free delivery, and usually despatched within 2 - 3 days - so if you're really quick and the post is on your side you might just get it in time for christmas:) (although I think mine took about 4 or 5 days so I reckon it'll probably be just after christmas when you get it)

vava
Dec 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM
yup also from the book depository awesome place!:) vegcurry recommended it.....

animaladvocate
Dec 18th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm also scared by the Jewish word "kugel" for a casserole, "kugel" meaning "ball" in German.
I am Jewish.
Kugel usually means pudding.

bryzee86
Dec 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
ooh fantastic. thanks you two! I'll order it when I get back after christmas though!

Astrid
Dec 18th, 2007, 11:23 AM
It is in stock on amazon.com, but not on amazon.co.uk. It's cheaper on amazon.com as well.

bryzee86
Dec 18th, 2007, 02:17 PM
but that'll ship from USA surely?

happycow
Dec 18th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Order from the USA, herbivore do great postage rates and whenever I have ordered from the service has been great and delivery really fast. Works out cheaper than buying over here half the time.

Astrid
Dec 18th, 2007, 10:00 PM
but that'll ship from USA surely?

Yes, but it will still get to you before it comes into the shops in April. It says international orders take from 3 to 6 weeks. And if your're worried about the delivery cost, the lower price of the book itself will null the difference out.

Book + shipping amazon.co.uk: £17.99

Book + shipping amazon.com: $30.64 = £15.21

bryzee86
Dec 19th, 2007, 08:17 AM
but if i get it from the book depository it's cheaper still.

Astrid
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Okay, then you should go for the Book Depository. :)

rantipole
Dec 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Hey,

A friend just gave me a copy today! It looks awesome, and I can't wait to try some of the recipes. I'm dreaming of the lemony roasted potatoes already.

Cheers,
rant

pavotrouge
Dec 19th, 2007, 09:05 PM
make them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and as a snack. they're heavenly!

I am Jewish.
Kugel usually means pudding.

hum... and there it is, the Jewish/German misunderstanding :rolleyes:

I've seen "Kugel" recipes that seem like casseroles to me.

German "pudding" is what people in other parts of the world would refer to as "custard" :p

fondducoeur
Dec 26th, 2007, 03:43 AM
I just got this today, and I am so excited!
There are so many recipes that I think will be absolutely delicious; I am overwhelmed!

What is everybody's favorite of what they have made?
I am definitely trying the lemon bars, the roasted lemony potatoes, and the chickpea cutlets soon. The samosa baked potatoes sound great as well.

Roxy
Dec 26th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I think I'm going to put this one on my wishlist too :)

pavotrouge
Dec 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
make the white bean aioli, but only if you don't have to work or go near to people the following day :D