PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Andy
Dec 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I've got this cookbook :) problem is i dont like cooking lol, i'll have to force myself to try some recipies

RubyDuby
Dec 26th, 2007, 06:24 PM
i was hoping for it for christmas, but alas I shall have to buy it and a coffee maker myself. :rolleyes:

Roxy
Dec 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Awwww - poor Ruby. :(

Stine
Dec 26th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I got it for Christmas.. Am recieving it with the mail in a couple of days.. am so looking forward to it

vava
Dec 29th, 2007, 12:00 PM
I have just scarfed down the Eggplant - Potato Moussaka with Pine Nut Cream -not all of it tho! Would feed 8 easily if you were partaking of some dessert afterwards.

:D v nice - v tomatoey v creamy I would give it 8 and a half out of ten. I would have liked some crispness on the top, so if I do it again I would put some breadcrumbs on the cream topping along with some random pine nuts for crunch.

This was a recipe that caught my eye when I first looked at the book but to be honest the book scared me when I first bought it about a month ago and it has taken me until now to try it. It was very labour intensive and worth the outcome. This would be perfect on a summers evening with a mixed crisp salad french bread and a cool bottle of vino. Mix liberally with some good friends et voila!

Supposed to taste even better the next day - slavering at the thought.:o

The topping is really interesting and I think it would work well on a lot of dishes like lasagna, pizza etc. Thank goodness it wasn't pine in flavour as I thought it may be! It was fun squeezing the courgettes as well.

froze loads = defrosted = too tasty and - way way too salty!:(

sponge
Dec 29th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I just got this last night and I agree that it looks good. I want to try their 'sammiches', the 'snoobyjoes' and the 'chickpea cutlets' to start.

ellaminnowpea
Dec 29th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I just got this book earlier this month! I'm so excited to start using it!! Has anyone made something particularly good from this book and recommend it?

dreamqueen
Dec 30th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I was banking on getting this for Festivus - I had it listed at the highest priority on my Amazon wishlist and still no one bought it for me. Since then, I've been looking for it in bookstores here and it's sold out everywhere! Waaah!

KrissStress
Dec 30th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I made the pumpkin crumble cake over Christmas and my wife's deerhunting/fishing grandpa laid claim to an entire plate of them for himself and wouldn't let anyone else have them.

this book is pretty much a NEED for me to have at this point, I'm always walking around with it...

vegcurry
Dec 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM
I cooked the Lemony Roast Potatoes last night (to go with a bean and sweet potato chilli) and it went down really well with the dinner guests.

sponge
Dec 31st, 2007, 10:18 PM
I am making the BBQ seitan and crispy coleslaw sandwiches tonight. I've already prepped everything and the Backyard BBQ sauce tastes great. But, I still have about 4 hours until dinner and can test this recipe out. :(

fondducoeur
Jan 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
I made the lemony roasted potatoes yesterday. They were great. We ate a ton of them:)

sponge
Jan 1st, 2008, 11:19 PM
The BBQ seitan and crispy coleslaw sandwiches was very good. My significant other didn't think the coleslaw sounded like it would be good on a sandwich, but even he loved them. A big hit. Tonight, I'm making the Snobby Joes for the first time.

Andy
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Red Lentil and Cauliflower Curry = Amazing :D

ellaminnowpea
Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'm afraid I won't be able to use mine for the next week or so :(... I'm moving and won't have my appliances or cookware until the 12th. Eat some good veganomicon food for me!

bryzee86
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
argh it's out of stock at the book depository now!! spose i'll wait til i go usa and see if i can get it there.

pavotrouge
Jan 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Amazon?
The version that's not out yet probably is the "British" one. They did one of VWAV as well, with metric measurements I think (because it's so hard to figure out what how much a cup is :rolleyes:).

Andy
Jan 2nd, 2008, 10:50 PM
that is confusing, i have a jug that has cups on it (just noticed that today :D) and its about 250ml

It seems strange measuring solids like that lol.

sponge
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:30 AM
I'm afraid I won't be able to use mine for the next week or so :(... I'm moving and won't have my appliances or cookware until the 12th. Eat some good veganomicon food for me!

Wishing you good luck on your move. I hate moving! :(

Roxy
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:41 AM
OMG - this thread is making me hungry! :D

Magenta
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
The chocolate ice cream is good, SO good! so soft and chocolatey. try it! :)
apart from that, I haven't made much from this book, I think... I did make the chickpea cutlets a couple of times (yum!) and the brussel sprouts.
there's still plenty left to try :D

ellaminnowpea
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Wishing you good luck on your move. I hate moving! :(

Thanks sponge! I'm getting used to it. I've moved so many times I sort of have to learn to like the change ...and pack efficiently!

ellaminnowpea
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
The chocolate ice cream is good, SO good! so soft and chocolatey. try it! :)

apart from that, I haven't made much from this book, I think... I did make the chickpea cutlets a couple of times (yum!) and the brussel sprouts.
there's still plenty left to try :D

I'm so hungry now!! I have to stop reading this thread!:D

xrodolfox
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:38 PM
I'm so impressed that people love this book!

I took a look at it with my wife, and we quickly realized that we'd NEVER cook some of the stuff suggested. Who's got baby bok choy lying around? We're never that prepared.

I wish that the book would work for us... but we have a hard time making time to cook something other than pasta and brocolli every other night.

bryzee86
Jan 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
my loan comes through on monday or so, so i think i'll order this from amazon.fr. works out at about 18 with postage (damn that strong euro!) but it's work it cos i can't live without this book!!!