PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

pavotrouge
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I made the stuffed pepper as well and found that just the opposite- quite spicy, though I'm used to really spicy food.

Roxy
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:31 PM
So Rant, you've just given yourself a good excuse to try the recipe again :D

dreamqueen
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
I made the chickpea cutlets again last night - for some reason, they didn't excite me much this time around.

rantipole
Jan 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM
So Rant, you've just given yourself a good excuse to try the recipe again :D

That's more or less what I was thinking. However, I'll make them on the weekend this time, so I have more time.

Off to buy some paprika!

Cheers,
rant

vava
Jan 27th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I made the mandarin marinated tofu - it was absolutely vile and I took great pleasure in throwing it away! It was really citrussy pungent and even tho I took it out of the oven earlier than indicated it had burned all round the edges. I have written 'vile' next to the recipe in the book in case I am ever tempted again. :(

auntierozzi
Jan 27th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Oh no Vava..How disappointing for you. What did you eat instead?

Last Valentine's night I made a thing from VWaV with pancakes with tamarind sauce etc..which was the only thing I didn't like from that book..I think I was a bit heavy handed with the tamarind juice.

Do you think that there is anything you could do t redeem the mandarin recipe.......or don't you want to think about it again?

vava
Jan 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Oh no Vava..How disappointing for you. What did you eat instead?

Last Valentine's night I made a thing from VWaV with pancakes with tamarind sauce etc..which was the only thing I didn't like from that book..I think I was a bit heavy handed with the tamarind juice.

Do you think that there is anything you could do t redeem the mandarin recipe.......or don't you want to think about it again?

been put right off that recipe now but all is not lost with the book - i had the chickpea and noodle soup for lunch and it was smashing even my omni husband dived in for seconds!

I had made quinoa with tomatoe puree and onions to have with it so I just had that and an enormous pear! :D

pavotrouge
Jan 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
oh noes... can't believe something from the book didn't turn out.
I'll have a talk with that mandarin tofu, vava.

PaintedXSkyline
Jan 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I just got a copy of the book from the library.
hopefully i'll get the chance to try alot of the ricepes before i have to return it.

any suggestions in particular?

treehugga
Jan 28th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Any chance of the chickpea cutlet recipe? I can't afford the book at the mo but would love to try it, or is it being too cheeky? Looked for it on their website, but not there!!:rolleyes:

pavotrouge
Jan 28th, 2008, 08:36 AM
there it is: http://www.chow.com/recipes/11364

treehugga
Jan 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM
there it is: http://www.chow.com/recipes/11364
thank you muchly :)

Roxy
Jan 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I made the mandarin marinated tofu - it was absolutely vile and I took great pleasure in throwing it away! It was really citrussy pungent and even tho I took it out of the oven earlier than indicated it had burned all round the edges. I have written 'vile' next to the recipe in the book in case I am ever tempted again. :(

What a disappointment! Mandarin marinated tofu sounds lovely though.

MillieAnne
Jan 29th, 2008, 08:21 PM
This has to be the best vegan cookbook that I have purchased, and I own quite a few! Really educational with great ideas for meals that can be made ahead of time and just microwaved throughout the week to keep you going. This is soooo helpful since I am a full time student and don't always have time to prepare.

dreamqueen
Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:24 AM
I made the Hot Sauce Glazed Tempeh tonight - my husband gobbled it up like I've never seen him gobble tempeh before. I really liked it too. There's one piece left so tomorrow I'm going to mash it up and put it in a sammich with some Veganaise and spinach.:D

veggedoutnluvinit
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
This cook book is really fantastic. The premise is that vegan cooking and living can be easy and inexpensive. The book is huge, with tons of relatively easy recipes and tons of pointers to make vegan cooking a whole lot easier for yourself.

I even found an excerpt online from the book, which outlines the basic essentials (http://sodelicious.org/stocking-the-vegan-pantry-fridge) everyone should have in their kitchen!

Enjoy! :p

pavotrouge
Feb 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
ok, I guess this is my final statement about Veganomicon... when it first arrived (see at the beginning of the thread), I didn't really know what to think about it and neither where to start.

Then I had a phase when I thought it's a good, solid book.

Now I've made about a third of the recipes and only the French lentil soup, chickpea noodle soup and quinoa chickpea pilaf have made it into my everyday cooking repertoire.
None of the recipes I tried were mindblowing, and most aren't new to me.
Some I even found close to inedible, even after extreme tweaking- this never happened to me before, with no cookbook.

The "ethic" recipes are totally westernized and boring to my palate.
Plus, there's far too much meat substitute used- I like my tempeh, tofu and seitan, but why do they try to incorporate seitan into everything?

I'm not trying to talk the book down- it's an awesome compilation, but too American, or western-style for me (actually, it's mostly the American/tex mex stuff I can't stand).

This said, VWAV will stay my favourite!

Now you can throw sticks at me :rolleyes:

dreamqueen
Feb 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM
ok, I guess this is my final statement about Veganomicon... when it first arrived (see at the beginning of the thread), I didn't really know what to think about it and neither where to start.

Then I had a phase when I thought it's a good, solid book.

Now I've made about a third of the recipes and only the French lentil soup, chickpea noodle soup and quinoa chickpea pilaf have made it into my everyday cooking repertoire.
None of the recipes I tried were mindblowing, and most aren't new to me.
Some I even found close to inedible, even after extreme tweaking- this never happened to me before, with no cookbook.

The "ethic" recipes are totally westernized and boring to my palate.
Plus, there's far too much meat substitute used- I like my tempeh, tofu and seitan, but why do they try to incorporate seitan into everything?

I'm not trying to talk the book down- it's an awesome compilation, but too American, or western-style for me (actually, it's mostly the American/tex mex stuff I can't stand).

This said, VWAV will stay my favourite!

Now you can throw sticks at me :rolleyes:

You know, I'm feeling rather underwhelmed by Veganomicon myself after initially being really excited by it. I was really disappointed when I found that a number of the tofu recipes in it are lifted directly from Vegan with a Vengeance - why bother? It's not like the book really needed to be any longer. I've been looking through it each night and then making things from either Vegan with a Vengeance or ExtraVeganZa or Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan instead.

ALexiconofLove
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Weird, I absolutely love this book and almost all the food in it... but I'm (a) an American with appalling taste and (b) a new cook who doesn't know nothin about nothin.

rantipole
Feb 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I found the hummus recipe to be too garlicky (even though I really love garlic). Next time I make, I'm cutting back on the garlic and adding more tahini.

I'm going to make something new from this book on Sunday night. Gimme suggestions!

Cheers,
rant

RubyDuby
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:55 AM
portabello mushroom salad and tofu florentine... do do do :)

dreamqueen
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I've heard the Moussaka is RIDICULOUSLY delicious but I haven't tried it yet.

I found the hummus recipe to be too garlicky (even though I really love garlic). Next time I make, I'm cutting back on the garlic and adding more tahini.

I'm going to make something new from this book on Sunday night. Gimme suggestions!

Cheers,
rant

pavotrouge
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I don't mean to say that American have a bad taste Alex :)
Just that I'm not used to the American "way" of cooking. Neither do I like traditional west European cuisine.

missbettie
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:38 PM
no you're right pavotrouge...we do :)

RubyDuby
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:47 PM
eh, taste is too subjective to make such a sweeping statement.