PDA

View Full Version : Veganomicon

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Wildflower
Oct 28th, 2007, 12:46 AM
This is the new cookbook by the Post Punk Kitchen girls, Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero. Their other cookbooks were Vegan With a Vengance and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World!

Just got it today - it's a HUGE hardcover cookbook - full of all sorts of recipe catagories - lowfat, quick meals, one pot, soups, casseroles, beans, tofu/tempeh, soy free, desserts, cakes, bars, etc.

Any reviews yet?

http://www.theppk.com/nomicon.html

bryzee86
Oct 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM
that's funny,i read about this the other day. looks gooood. I love those folks.

Stine
Oct 28th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I haven't bought this book yet but it looks so good... And I love that they included pictures I havent seen many vegan cookbooks that have that

vegcurry
Oct 28th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Wildflower: thanks for the heads up on this book. I've just ordered it (along with two others) from The Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=156924264X) :)

angelamc
Oct 31st, 2007, 12:18 PM
I preordered this book off of amazom.com but it hasn't come in yet...:(

Ruby Rose
Oct 31st, 2007, 01:06 PM
Angela - I have the same problem. The suspense is killing me!

auntierozzi
Oct 31st, 2007, 07:39 PM
Me too! I ordered it months ago and was told it would arrive end of Oct. but now it's going to be end of November!!! Still, I am still enjoying looking forward to it :-)

vava
Oct 31st, 2007, 09:21 PM
Wildflower: thanks for the heads up on this book. I've just ordered it (along with two others) from The Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/WEBSITE/WWW/WEBPAGES/showbook.php?id=156924264X) :)

Thanks for that link- cheap books woo hoo!:)

eclectic_one
Oct 31st, 2007, 09:51 PM
I have it and the dishes look quite tasty. I have been a bit disappointed though as most are too "fancy" (with some recipes with hard to find ingredients), labor-intensive (lots of steps), or time-consuming for me. Many of the recipes also seem to be for big groups--like 6-8 servings--which doesn't usually apply to me either (with some using ingredients like a 12 oz package of tofu for the 6-8, making it hard to just cut down the recipe w/o being wasteful). I guess I was expecting more of the "Vegan with a Vengeance" vein in being able to quickly and easily fix most of the dishes and this doesn't seem to be the case with this one:( It looks great if you're trying to fix things to convince omnis at a dinner party that being vegan is fab, but I'm not likely to do that any time soon.

eclectic_one
Oct 31st, 2007, 09:52 PM
deleted repeated posting

Aims
Nov 4th, 2007, 04:11 AM
I ordered it from amazon a couple of weeks ago and it's apparently on it's way?? Wish it'd hurry up though!

tipsy
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM
my review:

i love these chicks.

and everything they do.

:D:D

pavotrouge
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Me too! I ordered it months ago and was told it would arrive end of Oct. but now it's going to be end of November!!! Still, I am still enjoying looking forward to it :-)

amazon told me exactly the same. and guess what's now already waiting at the post office for me to pick up tomorrow ;) ?

Hemlock
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:51 PM
We don't order anything from Amazon themselves any more as they have dreadful service, we have waited for up to a year for a book before now.
We use Amazon marketplace - individual booksellers who advertise on amazon but only your own country, inter country deliveries take ages or the book depository which is always excellent.

pavotrouge
Nov 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM
really? I always use amazon for English and American books because any other way (ordering from a bookstore...) takes 4-6 weeks. I've never waited for an Amazon book for longer than a week (except for preorders, obviously).

Sri Radha
Nov 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM
I have made the tamarind lentils and they are my new favorite dish! I also made the chickpea cutlets and those are pretty awesome, too! Isa and Terry are my favorite cookbook writers by far.

auntierozzi
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Yippee!!! Mine has arrived! :-) When I had a flick through I felt as though it might be the last vegan cookbook I really need...Can't wait to try everything!

vegcurry
Nov 6th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hurrah! I got home to find mine had arrived too. Oh, those wonderful photographs of the food made me sooo happy to be a vegan.

pavotrouge
Nov 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM
I picked mine up from the post office on Monday night.
Haven't made anything yet, but I must say that I feel a bit disappointed.
Or maybe it's the abundance of recipes that is overwhelming me.
However, I don't like the layout at all.

Maybe it's only natural for me because VWAV was my first vegan cookbook and I learned so much about vegan food from it and expected something similar?

angelamc
Nov 7th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I got my veganomicon a few days ago. I've read through it and I think it looks great but I haven't had the chance to make anything yet. What don't you like about it, Pavotrouge? It is a bit overwhelming because it's so huge but I think that's a good thing. The only thing I foud to be disappointing was the over-abundance of potato recipes because I am alergic to potatoes. But since potato allergy is so rare I can't really expect people to accomodate it. :( I must suffer in silence...

Poison Ivy
Nov 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
I received mine a couple of days ago and managed to have a fairly good look through it last night....personally, I think it looks great and can't wait to get cooking some things from it:)

Aims
Nov 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Made my first recipe from it last night - chickpea noodle soup. Only, I didn't put the chickpeas in because I forgot I didn't have any... hehe.
It was still really good though! I have way too much miso on my hands right now... so will be making it again soon :D

pavotrouge
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM
I got my veganomicon a few days ago. I've read through it and I think it looks great but I haven't had the chance to make anything yet. What don't you like about it, Pavotrouge?

As I said, it's too much, which is not really bad, I guess the book will grow on me like VWAV has.

The layout is confusing to me and well, I guess I had too high expectations.

vava
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Made my first Isa and Terry recipe last night chocolate cupcakes with chocolate swirly icing with orange and lemon jellies on the top - piggin marvelous - so completely appropriate that my copy arrived today. Photos are gorgeous. Recipes look inviting. Info looks down to earth. Am impressed. Am now off to get immersed!:D

Poison Ivy
Nov 12th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Made a couple of things from V'con tonight on a whim (it's cupcakes 'cos I ALWAYS have baking ingredients handy:o)

I made Caramel Spice-Apple Cupcakes - these are lovely, very sweet, but lovely never the less...I have no idea whether the penuche frosting turned out as it should do but it looks okay and tastes great so I'm not too bothered really:)

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/rubysoho73/debspictures006-6.jpg

Also made the Jelly Donut Cupcakes - unfortunately the jam didn't sink into the cupcake as the recipe said it would do, so they're not as pretty as they should be (next time I'm definitely going to make a well in the batter to drop the jam into) but these are just YUMMY so still happy with them!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/rubysoho73/debspictures003-8.jpg

Inside shot:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/rubysoho73/DSC00013.jpg