PDA

View Full Version : Vegan humbugs, éclairs, etc

antman
Oct 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM
I'm thinking of buying my Dad various traditional sweets as part of his 60th birthday next week, but while they are easy to find, I'd only really be comfortable buying vegan versions. So, does anybody know where they can/might be found?

Gorilla
Oct 29th, 2007, 03:11 PM
have you looked on Veganstore? they do quite a few traditional-style sweets (although not as many as they used to). Marrers mentioned that Bond's sweets, often found in big jars in newsagents, are often vegan although i can't remember if she said they all are. you could also try Co-op if you have one nearby, some of their own-brand sweets are vegan.

if you find any vegan chocolate éclairs i want to know, i used to love those! i'm not sure any exist though.

Sluggie
Oct 29th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Julian Graves sell quite a few vegan sweets, which are labelled as such.

Marrers
Oct 29th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I know Bonds versions of Rhubarb & Custard, Apple & Custard, Strawberries & Cream, Kola Cubes and Pineapple Cubes are vegan.

Also Uncle Joe's mint balls (can be found loose in jars but Past Times do them in nice tins).

antman
Oct 29th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys, I'll start looking around :)

Marrers
Oct 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM
There is an old fashioned sweet shop just along from Glasshouse Stores. They have a vegan list but it isn't very accurate (listing things clearly containing milk!) I asked them to revise it several weeks ago so it is worth a try in there. They sell the tins of mintballs too.

antman
Oct 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM
There is an old fashioned sweet shop just along from Glasshouse Stores.

I'm there ;)

twinkle
Oct 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Some Sainsbury's branches are doing glass jars of sweets for Christmas. They had vegan rhubarb and custards at the store I went to. Bit pricey though.

Marrers
Oct 29th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Well spotted Twinkle - and surely not as expensive as VeganStore?!

Mr Flibble
Oct 29th, 2007, 08:58 PM
I made chocolate eclairs last year that were rather good. However I made the toffee for them by mistake whilst making softer toffee and I didn't write down the quantities :p

Essentially you should be able to do it by melting sugar with some water and oil to some sort of ball stage (hard ball?), then whisking in soya milk and vanilla whilst it cools.

antman
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM
So many options. I better get to work, lol. I don't suppose vegan lemon sherbets are likely, are they?

Enchantress
Oct 30th, 2007, 06:29 PM
What do sherbet lemons usually have in them that isn't vegan?

These (http://www.sweetstall.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2esweetstall% 2ecom%2facatalog%2fshop%2ehtml&WD=lemons%20sherbet&PN=Boiled_and_hard__Sweets%2ehtml%23a754#a754) look like they might be suitable, although they do contain the wonderfully vague "flavourings" :rolleyes:.