PDA

View Full Version : Roasted Apple, Onion, and Sweet Potato Soup

Artichoke47
Nov 9th, 2004, 06:31 PM
From Fresh & Fast Vegan Pleasures by Amanda Grant (excellent cookbook!)

Serves 4

Delicious! Beautiful colors! Well worth the time! :D

1 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 lb. baby onions, quartered
3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
3 apples, tart variety like Granny Smith
3 T. olive oil (I used 1 or 1 1/2)
3 c. vegetable stock
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
handful of fresh tarragon leaves (a must for the colorfulness!)

Preheat oven to 450 F. Dry-fry the fennel and cumin seeds in a frying pan over moderate heat, turning or stirring frequently, for 3 min. or until they start to turn brown and pop. Coarsley crush the seeds using a pestle and mortar (or a coffee grinder ;)).

Put the onions and sweet potatoes into a roasting dish. Core and roughly chop 2 of the apples and add them to the roaster pan. Sprinkle the crushed seeds over the vegetables and apples, and stir to season. Drizzle 2 T. of the olive oil over the top (this is where I used 1 T.). Roast for 25 min. in the oven and then turn the vegetables over and roast for an additional 25 min. Remove 2 potato chunks and 8 onion quarters and set them aside.

Put half of the remaining veggies into a food processor with half of the stock and process to a smooth puree. Transfer to a saucepan. Repeat with the remaining veggies and stock. Warm the soup over gentle heat.

Core and roughly chop the reserved apple. Roughly chop the 2 potato chunks and the 8 onion quarters. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan (I used 1/2 T.) and add the apple and saute for 5 min. or until golden. Add the chopped potatoes and onions and warm through, stirring every now and then, over low heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

When the soup is warm, divide it among four warm bowls and spoon a little bit of the onion-potato-apple mixture into the center of each bowl. Scatter the fresh tarragon leaves over the soup and serve.

MzNatural
Nov 9th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks, I am making a soup today. I was going to make something else but I think I will try this. :)