PDA

View Full Version : malt loaf

bryzee86
Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:03 AM
hey, i've a craving for malt loaf and I bought some malt extract today on a whim. Anyone have a recipe?

auntierozzi
Nov 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Hello Bryzee,
Here's mine.

3tbs malt
3tbs corn syrup
1/2 cup soya milk
8 oz (225g) self raising flour
3oz (90g) dates
1 tbs bicarb

Heat oven to 375F (Gas 5) and grease your loaf tin
Warm the malt, syrup and milk gently add flour and dates. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in a little water and add to the mixture. Mix well.
You are supposed to bake for about an hour but mine is always ready before so keep an eye on it and test it with a sharp knife after half an hour or so.

I think it's better the more dates you put in so you can put more than this if you like them. I have also tried it with dried apricots soaked a bit before hand and with raisins.

I hope that yours turns out well.

bryzee86
Nov 4th, 2007, 11:32 PM
oh thanks. I'll try this towards the end of the week 'cos I found one i my vegan baking cookbook. doesn't seem a lot like a malt loaf tbh - too pale. ah well i'll try yours later in the week (with wholemeal flour) and let you know how it turns out.

auntierozzi
Nov 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
If you want it really dark then maybe putting in molasses instead of the treacle would be good. Although I haven't tried it myself. Also, it is supposed to get stickier the longer you keep it, if you can! The more dates you put in the better too.

angelamc
Nov 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM
What is malt loaf like? I've never heard of it.

flying plum
Nov 5th, 2007, 08:45 AM
it's like a really dark, sticky bread, that tastes AWESOME. wow....i haven't had any soreen forever...wish they'd make a vegan one :D

where does one by malt extract??

amanda

BlackCats
Nov 5th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Mmm that sounds nice.:)

(That is weird actually, I was talking to my husband about malt extract the other day as I was listening to these two women talking in the dentist's surgery about malt extract and how apparently it tastes like toffee.
I was telling him how my Mum got cravings for malt milkshakes when she was pregnant with me.)

bryzee86
Nov 5th, 2007, 12:34 PM
amanda, you can get it from waitrose (it's where I got mine), but I'm sure health food shops and maybe other supermarkets might have it.

It smells like ovaltine...

auntierozzi
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I got an enormous bucket of it from a healthfood shop in Cambridge when I was over in the summer. If you buy a big load make sure you keep it in the fridge. It is very very sticky!

Mr Flibble
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:03 PM
3tbs corn syrup

Is this readily available in france?

flying plum
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:07 PM
amanda, you can get it from waitrose (it's where I got mine), but I'm sure health food shops and maybe other supermarkets might have it.

It smells like ovaltine...

oh cool - there's a waitrose down in balham. do you make it in a loaf tin? there's a few other things i want to make so i need to get one anyway - can be my post-essay writing treat next week when i finally hand the buggers in!

amanda

Nicola
Nov 11th, 2007, 06:43 PM
it's like a really dark, sticky bread, that tastes AWESOME. wow....i haven't had any soreen forever...wish they'd make a vegan one :D

I buy: http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/712129.html

V. yummy! you can find it in many health food stores.. :)

Gorilla
Nov 11th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Sainsburys do an organic vegan malt loaf as well.

bryzee86
Nov 12th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I just use golden syrup, mr. F

Burntfruit
Apr 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I found that Morrisons do a Value Malt Loaf for like 29p.

I was looking for low sugar foods...and this one works out like a nice treat. Great with pure and jam.