PDA

View Full Version : Truffles, Morels and Other Fine Mushrooms - Recipe Request.

Pagan Vegan
Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Does any one have any good vegan recipes for truffles and morels?

With other wild mushrooms I have experimented to good effect but with these types of rare and fine mushrooms I am slightly averse to using dairy substitutes and the like.

A dash of soya cream doesn't hurt but I would be really interested to try any good vegan recipes for these great ingerdients that anybody might have.

Thanks in advance :)

Mr Flibble
Nov 2nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Many vegans (this one included) don't count truffles as being vegan, as to the best of my knowledge the majority are still found using animals.

Pagan Vegan
Nov 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Purchased wild ones might be I suppose - good point.

I have recently got in to fungi foraging so my enquiry was more wishful thinking for if I ever find some of these myself.

bryzee86
Nov 5th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I've got a recipe:

take one truffle;
open the bin;
put it in;
done

cos they taste foul.

Sorry I couldn't be more constructive ;)

Pagan Vegan
Nov 6th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Me too! :)

I don't have any problems being vegan and eating truffles, plus it seems that since 1997 they have been able to grow them commercially on farms.

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
BLACK TRUFFLES ON TOAST

2oz black truffles (fresh or conserved)
1/4t sea salt
5T olive oil
fresh ground black pepper
1 small garlic clove, finely minced
1/4t fresh lemon juice
1/4t white or red wine vinegar
8 to 10 small thin slices of coarse country bread

if using fresh truffles rinse gently & dry with a soft cloth.
pound truffles to a fine consistency with the salt in a mortar while drizzling in 3T of the oil.
in a small skillet gently warm remaining oil and add pounded truffles. add pepper & warm through gently.
meanwhile combine the garlic, lemon juice & vinegar in a mortar and pound to smash garlic as much as possible. add it to truffles & warm for about a minute to allow the flavors to be released.
remove from heat & spread on warm pieces of toast.

you can sprinkle them with some slivers of sage leaves, or other fresh herbs of your choice if desired.