PDA

View Full Version : Chickpea flour. Anyone got any recipes i can make?

bryzee86
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I have LOADS of chickpea flour left over from some random recipe or other a while back.

My question is: What the frig should I do with it? Anyone got any recipes i can make?

ta.

RossClement
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Bhaji and Pakoras are typically made from gram (chickpea) flour. Tons of recipes on the web. You can also make savoury pancakes from them. Pretty much just chickpea flour and water, perhaps a bit of salt, cooked like a pancake. Make this much thicker, add some chopped vegetables, add salt and pepper, and you have a not very accurate but edible omlette substitute.

I use chickpea flour as my standard substitute for eggs in egg 'n breadcrumb. Just mix chickpea flour and water until you get beaten egg texture. Then coat whatever in it, roll in breadcrumbs and cook. Works well and it's even the right colour.

Chickpea flour is a very versatile ingredient.

You can also make a supposedly fudge like sweet with chickpea flour. But when I tried, the result was awful.

Cherry
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Yeh, I was going to suggest pakoras. I usually mix some rice flour in to make it a bit lighter...but you might not want to get MORE flour!

harpy
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Here's a message I posted on another forum:

Socca
Have we discussed this before? It's a kind of "Spanish omelette" made with a
gram (chickpea) flour batter instead of eggs. We thought it was tasty and it
was certainly extremely filling. It's not as moist as a normal omelette so
you might need something like salsa with it.

I actually got the idea from that book I mentioned, Plant-Based Nutrition
and Health, though I didn't follow his recipe as it sounded a bit of a
fiddle - I did mine in the oven instead of in a frying pan. There are
recipes on the web for both baked and fried versions.

Essentially you just need 3 oz of gram flour and 12 fl oz water which you
mix thoroughly, adding seasonings such as cayenne pepper. I put spinach in
the batter as well as one recipe suggested this would produce a lighter
result (though I wouldn't say it was very light). For the filling you need a
selection of chopped or sliced vegetables (onions, potatoes, sweetcorn and
tomatoes in our case) and you precook the ones that would be indigestible if
undercooked (onions and potatoes). Then you grease a shallow baking dish,
arrange the vegetables on the bottom and pour the batter over them, tilting
the dish to get good coverage. It took about 25 minutes to cook in a medium
oven.

The gram flour took some finding but I gather you can get it in Asian
grocers as well as big health food shops such as Fresh and Wild.

bryzee86
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:37 PM
ooh thanks, ross. I'll remember them.

Any more from the community?

Flower
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:26 AM
If you have Vegan With a Vengeance, the fronch toast calls for chickpea flour & it turns out amazing.

animaladvocate
Nov 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Boil some spuds with their skin on.Chop them into chunks.Fry loads of onion, add potato to frying pan and cook for a few minutes with the onion.Mix one cup of gram flour with 2 cups of water and add to the frying pan and cook for several minutes more.Pour into flan type dish and grill for a bit.Let it cool/solidify for a bit and...yum!

bryzee86
Nov 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks harpy, I've tried a frittata type thing before - it was quite nice so I'll try it again.

Flower, I do have VWAV, so I'll look that up at the weekend.

Thanks, animaladvocate, that sounds really nice and easy. Mint would be nice in that...

harpy
Nov 5th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I have made the baked version of the frittata/socca thing a few times now - am not very good with fried things. It can come out a bit dry so I sometimes make a sauce to go with it (e.g. tomato and onion).

auntierozzi
Nov 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I did a big stack of pancakes (from the recipe in VWaV) and left out the maple syrup and salt. They went down really quickly!

piggy
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Boil some spuds with their skin on.Chop them into chunks.Fry loads of onion, add potato to frying pan and cook for a few minutes with the onion.Mix one cup of gram flour with 2 cups of water and add to the frying pan and cook for several minutes more.Pour into flan type dish and grill for a bit.Let it cool/solidify for a bit and...yum!

hmmm i also do that, kind of an omelette with fried onion and potato. it's delicious (the more oil u use the better :D)

piggy
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
You can also make a supposedly fudge like sweet with chickpea flour. But when I tried, the result was awful.

out of interest, how did u make the fudge? the first time i tried making it, i added some water, because it seemed to dry to me, and it turned out horrible. the next time i did it without water, and it turned out great.

flying plum
Nov 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM
i never thought of using besan as an egg substitute. that omelette sounds like a great idea :D i have a whole bunch left from when i made the laddhu :D

amanda

herbwormwood
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I add chick pea flour to stews, chillis and curries to increase the nutritional content and as a thickener.

bryzee86
Nov 5th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I've seen a few recipes that call for soya flour - would chickpea flour work instead?

flying plum
Dec 20th, 2007, 07:36 PM
made this today...the edges were nice, but the centre was a bit squidgey and dense.

was wondering...reckon putting some bicarb in it would make it 'rise' a bit more? it was very sticky in the middle when i made it...maybe just undercooked?

amanda

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
check out my last recipe in the ethiopian food thread