PDA

View Full Version : High Sodium in Organic Processed Foods

paragonx
Nov 9th, 2007, 11:28 AM
I noticed that the sodium levels are higher in Organic foods such as broth, soups, pasta sauce, beans, canned veggies and so on. Why do you suppose this is?

-Ann

eve
Nov 10th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I'd say that ANYTHING that is processed and canned would have high sodium levels.

Fuhzy
Nov 10th, 2007, 05:35 PM
That's very true. This is due to the fact that sodium adds cheap flavor, and it also increases the shelf life of the product a considerable amount...

harpy
Nov 10th, 2007, 07:59 PM
In Europe we can get organic beans canned without any salt (or sugar, just water). Biona is a good brand from this point of view, and I noticed Waitrose own-brand canned chickpeas are now the same.

Gorilla
Nov 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM
i've been buying organic canned beans for years and i haven't had any trouble finding ones without any salt.

harpy
Nov 10th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Oh, really? I'll correct my post then :D Not really sure how long we've been getting the Biona ones for.

Gorilla
Nov 10th, 2007, 10:14 PM
:) i've bought many different brands (spoilt for choice here i guess) and even Asda have quite a good range of tinned organic pulses without salt now

eve
Nov 11th, 2007, 12:47 AM
Could be that the UK is more forward thinking in this area, lucky you :)

paragonx
Nov 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Maybe i will spend more time at the grocery and read the labels more. Maybe i am not looking hard enough.

Thanks for all the input!

-Ann

Pob
Nov 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I too have noticed that some organic foods have more salt than the exact same make in the non-organic version. Heinz Baked Beans are one example. Organic version has more salt than regular non-organic version.

On the other hand, ASDA own-brand organic baked beans are lower in salt than the regular Heinz ones.

It is a case of shopping around and not buying anything that's too salty. If that means choosing non-organic over organic sometimes, then that's how it has to be. It's probably worth writing to the manufacturers and saying why you won't buy their product, though.

Most plain canned veg and beans are now available in plain water rather than salted water, in both organic and non-organic versions, which is great.