PDA

View Full Version : the best chocolate cake i've ever made!

Pages : [1] 2

janers
Nov 9th, 2007, 03:02 PM
so i've made this one a few times already, it's super easy to make, it is the most moist, delicious vegan cake i've ever come across. it is light but chocolatey, and you don't walk away feeling like you ate a pound of concrete!

Vegan Chocolate Cake

PREP TIME
15 Min
COOK TIME
45 Min
READY IN
1 Hr

Original recipe yield: 1 - 9x5 inch loaf pan

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 cup water DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Chocolate Icing
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup maple syrup
1 1/4 sticks soy margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla

Stu
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:42 PM
So where's my slice? It's in the post, right?

mjnewbould
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Just to say I made one for the people at work and it was very well received - i have put it into my recipe folder and will definitely do it if we have anyone coming for tea or something!

Joeybee
Nov 16th, 2007, 04:14 PM
You got and pics of this cake? MMMMmmmmmm I love choc cake. For my 21st I want a big wet sweaty chocolate and marzipan cake, mmmmmm, oh god chocorgasm coming on.......

absentmindedfan
Nov 17th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Ah Wacky Cake.. where would we be without you?
BTW this cake is ACE if left for a day..if you can bear to :D

bryzee86
Nov 17th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I'll be making this tonight - but with the addition of some choccy chunks

Stu
Nov 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM
MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

etc.

Joeybee
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Just made it, and ate some, with soya cream on. It was good, but perhaps 3/4tsp soda and/or a smidge more vinegar.

i think I may have to do some baking on commission for Stu...

Stu
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM
There's no "may" about it.

Joeybee
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM
well Bryan made it. Yeah this is bryan speaking as Jo. I didn't realise she was signed in. Off I go to sign myself in

animaladvocate
Nov 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I will give the above recipe a try but I usualy always use the following recipe cos it uses oodles of maple syrup instead ofdry sweetener and is consequently as moist as moist can be and smells and tastes like heaven.

Equipment:
springform pans, 2 good sized bowls, a wisk, saucepan

Ingredients
1 and 3/4 cups of spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup good cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain soymilk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup(magic ingredient)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray.

Sift together flours and baking powder and baking soda.

In a saucepan, heat the soymilk on low-medium heat. When it is slightly bubbling, add the cocoa powder and wisk well until it is dissolved. Remove from heat.

Combine the other liquid ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Add the cocoa mixture and combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry.

Pour batter into prepared pan, bake at 350 F for 25 minutes until a toothpick or butter knife comes out clean. Let cool completely and frost with your favorite frosting.http://www.theppk.com/i/p.gif

Aims
Nov 24th, 2007, 04:38 AM
^ omg, maple syrup?? yuuuuuuuum!

but I did make Janers recipe last week for my bday and it turned out great :D then I also made it again this afternoon coz I'm not feeling well and just felt like cake. hehe.

Gotta try that maple syrup one soon though! sounds good

PaintedXSkyline
Nov 24th, 2007, 04:46 AM
mm. that sounds amazing.
and it so happens that i have all of the ingredients!
so tomorrow i shall make some cake!
:D

PaintedXSkyline
Nov 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM
it's in the oven right now.
it should be done in 20 minutes.

i'll have pictures. :D

i changed the recipe a little bit;
i only use 1/2 cup of sugar, because i dont like it too sweet.
and instead of 1 cup of water, i used 1/2 water and 1/2 soymilk.

PaintedXSkyline
Nov 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM
it's amazing
and really really easy to make. i'd say the hardest part was waiting for it to cool. haha. :p

http://i2.tinypic.com/6nuwg0j.jpg
right after i took it out of the oven.

http://i19.tinypic.com/6oblzcg.jpg

http://i5.tinypic.com/8524kgj.jpg
mmmmm. hungry yet?

anyone want to come over for a slice? i've got plenty :D

PaintedXSkyline
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:03 AM
i made it again today (it's my mom's birthday, but i couldnt eat her cake as it's not vegan)
i had about 3 (generous) slices, then my cousin and his friend came over and i offered them some.
after a few bites, he was like, "OH MY GOD! this is freaking amazing!!!"

hehe. that made me feel good. :D :D :D

Sluggie
Nov 27th, 2007, 08:58 AM
It looks gorgeously gooey. What did you frost it with PXS? Is it just melted dark chocolate?

janers
Nov 27th, 2007, 06:58 PM
ahaha i didnt say best chocolate cake i've ever made for nothingggg :)

PaintedXSkyline
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:52 PM
It looks gorgeously gooey. What did you frost it with PXS? Is it just melted dark chocolate?

i didnt have the ingredients for the frosting that were in the recipe.

so while the cake was baking, i put some cocoa powder, sugar, and soymilk in a pot and cooked it on slow heat. so it's kinda like melted chocolate, except this one doesnt get solid very quickly. :D

Anouk
Jun 29th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Vegan Chocolate Cake

PREP TIME
15 Min
COOK TIME
45 Min
READY IN
1 Hr

INGREDIENTS

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water

Chocolate Icing
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla[/quote]

so i've got a question - 1 1/4 sticks soy margarine, how much is that? like 5 oz (150g)?

Anouk
Jun 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
nevermind, it turned out just AMAZING. i made some blueberry sauce (with lemon juice, cinammon, vanilla and sugar). YUM!

Linxie
Jun 30th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I have a couple of questions -

again how much is 1¼ sticks of margarine for the frosting

And do you line your cake tin with paper or just grease it? I am bad at baking but would like to have a go at this :)

PaintedXSkyline
Jul 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM
i made mine in the glass thing so i just greased it. but when i make it in a tin, i usually use aluminum foil or wax paper.

and i'm useless with measurements too, so i can't help you there.

Maisiepaisie
Jul 1st, 2008, 07:45 AM
so i've made this one a few times already, it's super easy to make, it is the most moist, delicious vegan cake i've ever come across. it is light but chocolatey, and you don't walk away feeling like you ate a pound of concrete!

Vegan Chocolate Cake

PREP TIME
15 Min
COOK TIME
45 Min
READY IN
1 Hr

INGREDIENTS

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.

Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

Chocolate Icing
1 cup cocoa powder
1 cup maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
I made this yesterday. It was delicious, thanks for posting. I do think though that 1 cup of cocoa powder in the icing is a little too much. I think next time I'll try 1/2 - 3/4 cups

Regarding the sticks of marg, I just kept adding a little marg to the mixture until it was the right consistency.

gogirlanime
Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
I just made your cake, it's delicious!! Thank you for the recipe!