PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any ideas for a recipe?

Sandy777
Nov 14th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I've just bought a quince and I'm not sure about the best way to cook it. The lady in the shop said something about making jam/marmalade with it, - I was wondering about maybe stewed with sugar or agave maybe with cinnamon or something? Does anyone know of anything nice I could do? Also I bought a pound of jerusalem artichokes and I've never eaten one or cooked them or anything before, so can anyone recommend a recipe they've tried that was nice? Thanks :)

harpy
Nov 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Never had one but I saw this in the paper the other day (am copying in the text to save you from having to read the other, non-vegan, recipes - hope this is allowed)

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/experts/nigelslater/story/0,,2207527,00.html
Baked quinces with cider

You can put a single quince in an apple pie and it will send its gentle flavour right through them. It's a happy marriage that extends to cider, the quince keeping its flavour while also taking up some of the apple notes from the cider. Serves 4

4 quinces
a lemon
100g caster sugar
400ml cider
25ml water
thinly pared zest of an orange

Set the oven at 180C/gas mark 4. Peel the quinces, rubbing them with lemon to stop them browning. Halve, then lay them in a casserole with the sugar, cider, water and orange. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle putter for 10 minutes, then pop in the oven and leave for 2 hours till tender.

Serve the quinces either warm from the oven or lightly chilled. I'm not sure you need cream, just the fruit with their golden juice.
nigel.slater@observer.co.uk

Sandy777
Nov 14th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Harpy thanks very much that sounds gorgeous - It Sounds like proper winter food, It's gone freezing here today!

harpy
Nov 14th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Yes, it does sound nice. All I need is the quince - and most of the other ingredients apart from the water. It's like Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard here :D

mjnewbould
Nov 14th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I had a goergeous jerusulum artichoke and mushroom hot pot yesterday. - Just onions, artichokes and chopped big mushrooms heated in oil with some celery. Some people would add garlic as well - but I don't like the smell! After about 10 mins - add some tomatoes and then - a little bit of flour or something to thicken it - then add liquid (stock usually - you can add soemthing alcoholic if you have a suitable wine handy - I don't tend to have as i don't like it and I know nothing at all about it) then cook for a few minutes. Add herbs (thyme, perhaps), salt and pepper to taste. Meanwhile par boil some potatoes for 5 minuts or so. Then slice them and cover the hotpot with them, Cook at 200 C for 30 minutes or so. It was fantastic

mjnewbould
Nov 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Actually - mine started out fom Nigel Slater as well - so maybe the Observer archive is a good place to look for cooking artichokes and quinces and such like

harpy
Nov 14th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Yes, N. Slater seems into "seasonal foods", although of course he uses things that we wouldn't regard as foods quite a lot.

mjnewbould
Nov 15th, 2007, 12:02 PM
yes - Actually the original probably had butter etc in it - maybe even cream!. But I have to say that I very rarely actually follow a recipe to the letter anyway (Eg don't like garlic) that I just leave out or substitiue anything that I don't personally use. I do most of my cooking from non-vegan books and articles - I find that about 75% of it can so easily be adapted