PDA

View Full Version : Beets

Roxy
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:16 AM
I bought some organic Golden Beets. I want to boil them and slice them up and eat them with salad. Does anyone know the correct preparation method and for how long I should boil them?

Roxy

eve
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Personally I prefer beets raw, grated up in a salad, preferably mixed with grated apple, or juiced with other veges. However, to cook them, do not peel, but put the whole beets into a saucepan and cover with water. Of course the cooking time depends upon the size of the beets, but you can always test with a knife to see if it goes in easily or not. When cooked, let them cool off so you can peel - which is pretty easy. :)

Roxy
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:46 AM
Ok thanks so much Eve! I have 2 medium sized beets. I know you said, cooking time depends upon their size, but are we looking at 15 minutes, an hour, 2 hours? I don't really have a clue as to an approximate time these things should take to cook.

foxytina_69
Nov 11th, 2004, 06:55 AM
mmm i love beets pickled :D

Andie
Nov 11th, 2004, 08:02 PM
I tried some golden beets recently and liked them.
They'll cook whole in the pressure cooker in 10 to 15 minutes.
They are good plain or with vinegar, in my opinion

Roxy
Nov 12th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Thanks Andie :) I don't have a pressure cooker so I guess they'll take a bit longer. Can't wait to give them a go!

Korn
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know the correct preparation method and for how long I should boil them?

One way of using beets is to put them in a food processor and chop them up in really small 'grains'. Cook them with garlic, spices and coconut milk and (/or) tamari and (/or) tahini...

cedarblue
Nov 15th, 2004, 07:54 PM
i only know of beetroot. what other types are there?

Roxy
Nov 16th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Same thing Cedar ;) I call them Beetroot when in Australia and Beets here in Canada lol. These ones are golden though rather than the usual pinky/red colour.

Thanks for that tip Korn. I don't own a food processor but I could finely chop them and do something similar :D