PDA

View Full Version : How to cook soya bari?

thecatspajamas1
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:14 AM
I went to an Indian grocery today and bought a bulk bag of soy nuggets- it says soya bari on the bag and it doesn't say anything else. I assumed I could find basic cooking instructions for them online, but all I could google was various specific recipes.
So does anyone know how to cook these dried soy nugget things? Do I need to soak them or anything special like that? How do I make them tasty and good?

tipsy
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:35 AM
like tvp nuggets?:confused:

thecatspajamas1
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:40 AM
yeah i think so. (I've never cooked tvp either)

tipsy
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:46 AM
hmmm..

well theres an exact number of hot h2o to tvp ect...

but i usually just eyeball it.

boil water (or broth depending on what youre using it for) and pour over the dry nuggets..

theyll expand allot so start small!

and make sure all are coverd and expanded, but dont use so much water that its soupy.

ive made tvp chilli, stews, enchiladas with tvp nuggets. (they dont have much flavor alone)

try a search for tvp nuggets. i came up with quite a few things!

good luck, catspj's :D

thecatspajamas1
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:47 AM
thanx!

Shrapnel
May 30th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Oh, sorry; I hope I'm not too late in replying, but I am curious what the soy nuggets look like and are made of. They sound kinda like kotley sojowe (soy cutlets) that I've grown to love here in Poland and was afraid I'd not find when I returned to the States. The soy cutlets here are made of soy flour, and resemble dried out McNuggets. If they are similar, I know a good recipe for them.

Tigerlily
May 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I think those are the same things, Shrapnel. :)

My boyfriend's mom uses those soy pieces in place of meat in her curry recipes when she's cooking for me. :)

Shrapnel
May 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Ah cool! Thanks =) I have really gotten a taste for them here, and hoped to find them when I got back home. Hehe, along with pierogi, they were my favorite Polish foods that I was hopeing to have back home.

One recipe I had for them was to boil them for 10-15 minutes, until tender, put them in tomato sauce (basic tomato concentrate) and then cover in bułka tarta (pretty much bread crumbs). I'd then fry briefly, and add tomato sauce with some spices (I prefer thyme, curry and paprika, but any could be added, and you can of course skip the sauce if you're not keen on tomatoes as much). You can nuke instead of frying for faster cooking, and it works, but I prefer them fried (I don't use oil, since it makes them crispier, which I prefer, and just put them in a non-stick pan).

Though, when I was in Prague last November, I did just eat some raw (they have a nutty taste when uncooked) when I wanted to save time and money. Another good point of vegan food. If they were the traditional pork cutlets and I had them raw and uncooked, I'd have likely spent my vacation inside a Czech emergency room for food poisoning :p